It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Why Christian men don't wear a beard ?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:16 AM
link   
Well ok, some do I know, but most don't. Having a beard is an important aspect in many religions.
Jesus(pbuh) is always depicted with a beard, he defenitely had a beard. So why don't you?
Depiction of Jesus
Jesus Had a Beard
Why Does God Love Beards?

Hinduism, Islam, Sikhism, Orthodox Judaism, Rastafari Mouvement..
It's very probable that all prophets and saints had a beard.
Shaving in Judaism

Also many any great men in Science, Art, Politics, had a beard.
Famous Beards

Beard history is fascinating.
Beard Wiki

In 1535 England and 1705 Russia, there was a beard tax for men who dared having a the beard.
Beard tax Wiki

My 3 favorite quotes on beards:

A woman with a beard looks like a man, a man without a beard looks like a woman.." Afghan saying

“There are two kinds of people in this world that go around beardless—boys and women—and I am neither one.” Greek saying

He that hath a beard is more than a youth, and he that hath no beard is less than a man.
-William Shakespeare

edit on 6-12-2011 by samsamm9 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by samsamm9
So why don't you?.

'cuz I'm a girl.
Seriously .. it's just a cultural thing. Some people do. Some people don't. God doesn't care if someone has a beard or not ... MOST Christians understand that basic truth.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
Jehovahs Witnesses don't like you to have a beard. They give loads of reasons for it, but I read somewhere (a very long time ago) that their hatred for beards comes from one of the founding members of their movement...though I could be wrong.

I'm a Gnostic Christian and I have worn a beard for the best part of 20 years, only shaving it off if I slip shaving. lol

Rev

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by FlyersFan

So why don't you?.

'cuz I'm a girl.
Seriously .. it's just a cultural thing. Some people do. Some people don't. God doesn't care if someone has a beard or not ... MOST Christians understand that basic truth.

Being a girl is NOT an excuse

Bearded lady

But seriously, I thought Christians were supposed to be more like Jesus and religion
overrides cultural traditions, I guess I'm wrong.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:29 AM
link   
reply to post by revmoofoo

The Mormons also despise the beard.
Which is ironic because Jesus had a beard.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
i know plenty of Christians with beards.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   

So why don't you?.

'cuz I'm a girl.

Bearded lady

But seriously, I thought Christians were supposed to be more like Jesus and religion

Religion is a cultural tradition. Youi're born in america good chance you'll be raised a christain. Middle east a muslim, asia a buddhist. see?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
I'm a Christian, and I'm rocking a beard. Though, the beard has nothing to do with my faith. It's just a personal preference. Is there a solid Biblical basis for your question? I don't recall the 10 Commandments saying anything about beards, and I don't think Jesus made any fuss about it either.

I can just see it now. Jesus, while giving His sermon on the mount, saying something like, "Blessed are the bearded, for they shall be esteemed above all men."

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:34 AM
link   
Because I don't live in a cave, hunt with a spear or wear animal hide for clothing. Ok but seriously though by beard is still in the process of "thickening" even at the age of 25 so until it does i'll be clean shaven.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   

"I gave my back to the smiters, and my cheeks to them that plucked off the hair: I hid not my face from shame and spitting." -Isaiah 50:6

Jesus had a beard (facial hair long enough to be grabbed and plucked from His cheeks). For the soldiers to be able to grab Jesus' beard, it must have been at least of moderate length (definitely not a short beard). Isaiah fifty speaks as a prophecy concerning Christ's hours of torment before the cross. Yes friend, our Lord and Saviour had a beard.

Jesus had a beard

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   
reply to post by samsamm9

Being clean-shaven is not a Christian thing, but an aspect of modern Western culture. Men in the middle ages, even in Christian Europe, tended to wear beards.

My personal theory is that men shave only because women demand it, preferring a smooth skin, so that men are bearded in cultures which are male-dominated, and clean-shaven in cultures where women have some influence over their men, if only "behind the scenes".

On that theory, the bearded Victorian era was much more male-dominated than the cultures of the two centuries on either side.
Similarly, on that theory, the hippies of the Sixties must have had a male-dominated culture. Anecdotal evidence suggests that this matches.

These religions that you recommend as being beard-growers- are they male-dominated, by any chance?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   
So, that makes the native Americans what? There are some people that can't grow beards, is a glue on OK to be accepted?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by DISRAELI

These religions that you recommend as being beard-growers- are they male-dominated, by any chance?

Please read

Why does God like facial hair so much?
Because it’s manly. Although beards appear repeatedly in religious texts, God never explicitly tells us why they’re so holy. In the absence of any divine exposition, many theologians have posited that a hairy face is a symbol of masculinity bestowed upon men by God. St. Clement of Alexandria, who was among the most emphatic proponents of this view, argued: “But for one who is a man to comb himself and shave himself with a razor, for the sake of fine effect, to arrange his hair at the looking-glass, to shave his cheeks, pluck hairs out of them, and smooth them, how womanly! And, in truth, unless you saw them naked, you would suppose them to be women.” St. Augustine seconded Clement’s characterization, noting, “The beard signifies the courageous; the beard distinguishes the grown men, the earnest, the active, the vigorous. So that when we describe such, we say, he is a bearded man.”

Why Does God Love Beards? A discussion of facial hair in world religions.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:44 AM
link   

So why don't you?.

'cuz I'm a girl.

Bearded lady

I think, this is just my opinion now, that much of the reason has to do Julius Caesar. His cropped hair and shaven face was prevalent to keep the cooties at bay for the military, but it also distinguished the citizen from the barbarian. And since most earned citizenship through military service, they kept clean shaven.
In other words, in the western Roman empire, it was kewl.
Of course, many men of prominence hqve worn their facial hair with pride since then.
In the modern sense, I think we can look at the industrial revolution. Most men if they were shaved, usually went to a barber to have a pro do the job. Mirrors and razors were extravagance items. If you were poor, a beard was the last of your concerns when you slaved over twelve hours a day for just enough money to keep you from starving (and drunk, therefore complacent). So, people started to shave to appear more like those of high society. Religion takes a backseat to attempts to climb the social ladder every time.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:46 AM
link   

You quote authors from the early centuries.
Many people would think that society in that era was male-dominated, so the theory could still hold good.
(The Romans of the time of Augustus seem to be more clean-shaven. And their women could be fairly powerful)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
Because most Christians are not fundamentalists. Goodness/God did send Teachers and there is light squares in religions too, but a lot of it is their hidden astrology and information for their apprentices to search for and milk out of the texts.

And there is nothing in this world, no tangible, touchable thing, be it a beard or a mushroom or a pile of money, be it a robe, or any props in a ceremony, or any props in this cosmos that is the way home, is needed for the way home, or has anything to do with what this school is about..

There is No Spoon. Its a perceptional dreamscape.

You really have to go into Spirit/Love/Consciousness and Truth, which is within, and find the missing pieces. Ie. here the true path is to live unconditional love, to merge the highest Love/Unity/Equality of the Mother with the Freedom/Creativity of the Father, which is why they've put women into burquas all over the place, and put robes on men, to make their warring stuff into their symbol of androgyny. They don't want people going home. Sophia, the Holy Grail, the inverted pyramid, the Tree of Life, has been very much mangled yet hidden in the scriptures.

As a Christian, I look past everything that is dark and warring, in the scriptures and all props from earth, and only look at the actual teachings of Christ. He represented both energies. But he wasn't starting a fashion trend. He said what we put in is nothing compared to the words that come out. That meant the whole outer props are nothing, its about Spirit and Love, and we're supposed to see through all the outer.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Unity_99 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:53 AM
link   
I would say Christians don't all wear beards because its not necessary.
Although some use it to show respect, or beliefs...in other religions, Christianity doesn't call for it.

I wear a beard when possible, even If it isn't perfect and sometimes scraggly.

What amazes me is how people judge me because of how I look with a beard.
But with Americans obsession with vanity and outside appearance, it doesn't surprise me.
All too much I hear, "You look better clean shaven..."
I'm so glad that people only see what's on the outside.
Such a good mindset to have.

Actually I respect the bearded few of us, because I always say:
"You're not a man until you rock a beard once in your life."
I also believe that having a beard, allows one to boycott the "norm".
I'm tired of people letting the world tell them how they should look.
Almost how the television dictates how people should dress.
Or shave...

Be yourself, with whatever makes you comfortable and happy.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   

If you cant be born of a virgin then why try the rest?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:04 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:11 AM
link   
Beards are great!
I have one too

In fact, one of my first threads, authored the day after I joined ATS almost 7 years ago, was about beards
www.abovetopsecret.com...

While it is understandable that people can have whatever facial hair they want, at a point in the middle ages christians (at least catholics around the time of the Protestant Reformation), were adamant to have clean-shaven faces as being exemplary "christianess". It may possibly have been as a response to muslims and Islam around the time.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join