It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

X-37B space plane Extended stay in space

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Hi there, just posting some info on the X-37B space plane, thought i would just post the external text so it was easier for anyone following the X-37B's status, to be honest allot of us here on ATS no where not hearing the truth about NASA and millitary space operations so this does rais some suspicion, here's the external info:

X-37B: The X-37B space plane, a secretive shuttle-like vehicle currently orbiting the earth at 17,000 miles per hour, will be staying in space longer than originally planned, the Associated Press reports.

The 29-foot solar-powered craft had an original mission of 270 days and, according to RedOrbit, the X-37B should have landed on Wednesday at Vandenberg Air Force Base in California.

PHOTOS BELOW

"We initially planned for a nine-month mission, which we are roughly at now, but we will continue to extend the mission as circumstances allow," Lt. Col Tom McIntyre, the vehicle's systems program director, told the Los Angeles Times. "Keeping the X-37 in orbit will provide us with additional experimentation opportunities and allow us to extract the maximum value out of the mission."

The Air Force has said that the objective of the X-37B is to test unmanned, reusable space technology and conduct orbital experiments, but many skeptics think that the vehicle's mission is somehow defense or spy-related.

In May of 2010, The New York Times reported that amateur astronomers were able to detect the orbital pattern of the first X-37B, heightening suspicion that the vehicle was being used for surveillance. According to that report, the X37-B's orbital path included flyovers of areas such as North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

According to X-37B manufacturer Boeing, the space plane operates in low-earth orbit, between 110 and 500 miles above Earth. By comparison, the International Space Station orbits at about 220 miles above Earth.

The current X-37B flight launched from Cape Canaveral, Fla. in March of 2011. The first X-37B mission landed successfully in December 2010 after seven months in orbit.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
you know I all-ways wondered about the true mission of this lo-tech X-37B space plane un-manned and flying around does it have weapons on-board? how much did it cost to make? what is the distance that it can traverse? and where is the really cool flying space submarines (Naval Space Command) look it up!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by Tahnya86
...heightening suspicion that the vehicle was being used for surveillance. According to that report, the X37-B's orbital path included flyovers of areas such as North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.

What that fails to mention is that EVERY satellite up there in LEO also passes over North Korea, Iraq, Iran, Pakistan and Afghanistan.
It might very well be a spy mission, but the reason given is dumb.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
It makes sense but only 1??? UP THERE no other space agency craft up there, hmm. You would think the COSMIC surveillance is up more these days. So maybe its on patrol, of what well
you know must use IMAGINATIONS
interesting

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:19 AM
link   
reply to post by Ophiuchus 13

There is more than one.

When you are on this playing field, two is one and one is none. They double up on everything, this is just the one we know about.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:33 AM
link   
"nine-month mission"
That is Not a test flight.
that is a space weapons platform.
and it needs to stay for the war with?
Iran? china? russia?

I bet that thing has nuclear powered Laser.
that can take out missiles.
or make ammo dumps explodes!
I would bet it has nuc weapons to.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:55 AM
link   

Originally posted by Skewed

There is more than one.

When you are on this playing field, two is one and one is none. They double up on everything, this is just the one we know about.

Thanks
I felt the same way1 just incase 1 fails (does this also apply for the Russian craft that got stuck did they possibly send 2 also?), hope its not War related off or on Earth.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Count on it. Even with all the money in the world, it does not change the dangers of operating in space. Anything at anytime can go wrong, we have all seen it before.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:44 PM
link   
This is awesome tech its like a Satilite that can land for repairs be reequipped and sent back up. This sounds like a new form of satilite to me allot less expensive cause its reusable, More space friendly cause when there done with a mission it doesn't become space junk they just land it and reuse it. I think this is an awesome platform. The american space programs are defo evolving imo.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:05 PM
link   

There is more than one.

Where's the other one then? Amateur astronomers found this one, they're constantly scanning the skies for classified satellites. Hell, they even found the original X-37B after it was launched despite false information given about its orbital inclination.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by buddha
"nine-month mission"
That is Not a test flight.
that is a space weapons platform.
and it needs to stay for the war with?
Iran? china? russia?

I bet that thing has nuclear powered Laser.
that can take out missiles.
or make ammo dumps explodes!
I would bet it has nuc weapons to.

The payload bay is the size of a pick up truck bed.
So I doubt it has nuke lasers or any weapons at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   
reply to post by samkent

Instant sat killer weapon. Also can spy on sats and jam. The problem with jamming sats is distance.
Now if you can get close to the source you can distrupt the signal by manipulating it. rendering the data useless mumbojumbo.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

There is more than one.

Where's the other one then? Amateur astronomers found this one, they're constantly scanning the skies for classified satellites. Hell, they even found the original X-37B after it was launched despite false information given about its orbital inclination.

Your guess is as good as mine. But it is somewhere, I would venture a guess and say it is sitting in a hangar somewhere in case the one in service is lost. I do not see NASA building only one of something. They may have a deal worked out, buy one get one free or something.
edit on 6-12-2011 by Skewed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 02:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by ngchunter

There is more than one.

Your guess is as good as mine. But it is somewhere, I would venture a guess and say it is sitting in a hangar somewhere in case the one in service is lost.

Oh sorry, I took it to mean you thought there was another in orbit. Yes, it's openly known that this is OTV-2, not OTV-1. That's not a secret.

I do not see NASA building only one of something.

NASA didn't build any of them. They developed the aerodynamic design but handed it off to the DoD and the actual spacecraft were built by Boeing.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 02:32 PM
link   
The craft is too small to carry weapons, it's cargo bay is the size of a pick-up truck's bay, and it has to stash it's solar arrays there too. Only one X-37B is in space at a time, the other one was in orbit for nine months also, it landed a year ago. Only one but you know there are many satellites doing surveillance, its what they do. Some of the speculation in this thread isn't very well thought through.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 02:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

It can deliver a brilliant pebble payload or something simular..

top topics

join