It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Cops shouldn't carry guns

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 21 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by fenceSitter
reply to post by greyer

If you are referring to the US, can I ask how it is that every citizen is allowed to carry weapons based on their second amendment rights but you don't think trained (albeit young) police officers should not? There are plenty of officers who probably shouldn't have a weapon, but I'm sure there are plenty of citizens who shouldn't either.

I don't think anyone should have them but it is an all of nothing kind of scenario.

Most people WHO WANT TO BE a police officer tend, to be the most immoral control freak's that are good at putting on a show.

The easy solution would be to limit street officers to revolvers, sheriffs and their deputies to high power rifles. Anything more they should have to call in the Local/County citizen militia. Need a bigger force to meet a bigger problem? = national Guard, Beyond that= US military.

The local/City police shouldn't be allowed military fire arms and/or military training at all. The most is a bullet proof vest. Police need to revert back to their original role: Officers of the Peace.

In short, keep things civil between citizens and not much beyond that. Searches/Search Warrants can be done via Officers of the Law/Court(Sheriffs and Constables). Same with arrest warrants. There is no reason for average street cops, officers of the peace, to be doing any of the stuff the Government instructs them to do.

Their military style training needs to be scrapped and replaced with a more counselor/psychology type thing. Given the prevalence of mental illness in our society + substance abuse and emotional/physical abuse that is problematic in or society(DV is a problem faced by all genders and sexual orientation that needs to be treated in a neutral fashion, away from the currently bigoted paradigm of DV enforcement).

new topics

<< 1   >>

join