It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Snow from the Past.

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:40 AM
link   
Awesome photo's, thanks for posting.

I am more of a summer girl myself but I do love the dead of winter when everything is covered in snow and it's real quiet out. It's like everything is insulated. Also, my Siberian Huskies love the snow!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
I remember snows in the past, but I also think some more childhood memories are selective memories, of all of the snowy winter fun, and not of the milder times, when it was just cold and wet and sloppy. But I can be sure of a few selective memories that I have not seen since, I'll point out 4 such.

Mid 60's, we had a nice relatively mild 3 foot snow, I say mild because us kid could play all day in it, and have dug networks of tunnels in someone's yard complete with lodging rooms. I believe the depth lasted a couple weeks.

76-77-78 blizzards. Not snow as deep but substantial. The 76-77 was not elevated to blizzard status but in late November through December the temperature never registered above zero F, consecutively for over a mouth of days.

The real blizzard hit in the 77-78 winter and brought very cold temps, nice deep snow. You would not last walking more than 3 blocks with any exposed skin, it was the only time I felt my eyeballs cold. Those were two tough winters in a row for a starving kid to begin college life, though it didn't seem too far from a little worse than normal.

Strange that those two blizzard years followed a winter in my senior high school year were we had a 70ºF stretch of February, skipping school and throwing frisbee, basically already selected a college acceptance. The summer leading up to that was the most sweltering hot humid June I can remember, you couldn't sit still outside without profusely sweating.

83-84 Arctic freeze, we could barely raise the temps inside to avoid water pipes freezing, and January 82 saw the coldest windchill NFL football game played in Cincinnati Ohio, reaching -59ºF windchill. I also remember in the mid 80s San Diego was colder than Pittsburgh during the NFL playoffs. I spent the 97 New Years in Naples Florida when a cold blast (for Floridians) made it colder for a few days than it was when I left and returned to Columbus Ohio (unseasonably warm). Been through minor droughts and 100º+ August's, mid late 80's.

Saw 70º Christmases and deep snowy Easters before, Pitt/Cols, 40º Junes and 70º Febs, and just 3 winters ago in late march we got a 3-foot+ snowfall in about a day, that lasted just a couple weeks.

You stick around long enough you'll see it all eventually, local weather is effected by a myriad of natural cycles.

I'm just glad I wasn't around for the 30's Dust Bowl, and the WWII Arctic deep freeze blasts, talk about making hard times worse...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:21 AM
link   
reply to post by Illustronic

Blizzard of '78, one of my best memories.

No power or school for over a week. My mother cooked in the fireplace. Of course I grew up in the woods in New England so we weren't affected by the storm surge. My husband, on the other hand, grew up on the coast. His entire family had to evacuate and stay at the local high-school for a couple of weeks. His dad, a Navy man, spent the a week with the Coasties in a small boat floating around the neighborhoods to save people from their homes.

If you go down to the coast in that area you can still see remnants of that storm over 20 years later.

We haven't had a real Nor'Easter in a long time.

I still don't understand why some people on the coast build their homes on stilts!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:25 AM
link   
In stead of snow we have this,

TextHurricane-force winds lash Scotland: Drivers Warned to stay off the Roads - 8th Dec 2011 Motorists across central Scotland have been advised by police not to drive from midday on Thursday because of the hurricane-force winds sweeping the country.
source(thecomingcrisis.blogspot.com...

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join