It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Canadian Omnibus Crime Bill Passes Final Vote In House

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:24 AM
link   
Well Canada, you wanted Harper. Now you have him. And now if your a non violent drug offender, you'll get more time in prison than a child molester.

Sounds fair doesn't it?

Read on in disbelief at the state of our government. I swear it looks like a regular day in Washington. Welcome to America 2.0 Lite Edition.

Source

The federal government's omnibus crime bill passed the final vote 157-127 in the House of Commons on Monday night.

Earlier Monday, Justice Minister Rob Nicholson held a news conference in Ottawa to express his support for the proposed legislation and encouraged all MPs to vote in favour of it.

The Conservatives promised during the spring election to pass the Safe Streets and Communities Act within 100 sitting days of Parliament and Nicholson said the government is keeping its promise. He introduced the omnibus bill, a combination of nine previous bills, in September.

"Canadians voted in favour of this when they elected us to a majority government and we will deliver on the promises that we made to Canadians in the last election," Nicholson said.

The crime bill will now be put in the hands of the Senate, where the Conservatives also hold a majority.

A combination of 9 bills that continue to limit our freedom as Canadians and a bill that mostly all Canadians disagree with once they've been informed what's in it. The Conservatives have attempted everythign to curtail debate of the bill and have been moot on much of it's content.

Harper hoped for it to hit the Senate, as to no doubt change the bill to make it even more ridiculous, and then pass it behind closed doors. Since he controls the Senate, this bill is as good as passed.

This bill not only changes the Criminal Code, it also changes your income tax laws among other things.

Here is a link to the bill in questions.

Bill C-10

I am truly shocked and appalled the the Conservative government could do something like this. When there is a clear concensus among Canadians who understand the bill, that it is bad for our country.

Thoughts ATS & fellow Canucks?

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:48 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

disgusting.
If the majority of canadians actually voted for that fool Harper, then I guess i'm at a disconnect here.
There is definitly a blurring when it comes to priorities within his goverment. I mean seriously, WTF!
As if we need tougher drug laws.... Harper needs to GTFO asap.
If he's looking for a facist state to control, he better keep on walkin'
edit on 6-12-2011 by CoffeeMonster because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Sure, starting here:

Well Canada, you wanted Harper.

I refuse to believe that many Canadians (a little over a quarter) actually voted for Harperism and his "Conservative" government.

The Americans love to cry about how Obama is destroying America, yet we actually have a government here in Canada ACTIVELY dismantling what makes us Canadian, against the wishes of the vast majority of Canadians. In fact, some of the rabid right wing republicans have even said this crime bill is pure insanity.

Most Canadians are just in the dark of what is actually happening here, most of our news is American, our political issues don't seem that important, I can get my Tim Horton's and gas up at Canadian Tire so why worry?

I started ringing alarm bells when the fastest growing industry in Canada became the prison building industry. Canada is right now living in a period with some of the lowest crime rates, ever. And they are, annually, declining.

I started asking, who exactly are these prisons being built for?

Then a clear vision of "Harperism" appeared. King Harper decreed that the media will have no access. All MPs and anyone working in a government position has to have their every word cleared by the PM's office.

Step 1, remove transparency, as such, dumb down most Canadians

Then Lord Harper, at the best of US MPAA and RIAA organizations, decreed that the internet will be restricted, regulated, and possibly taxed, for the profits of a few corporations with stale business models, while punishing almost every Canadian directly by restricting our rights. Tacked into those bills are things like making it illegal to use a false name online. Instantly everyone on my facebook page is a criminal, anyone posting on any blog, website, or anything, with a "false name" is a criminal. ripping my legally purchased CD to my ipod becomes a crime. Youtube possibly becomes a crime, using it, uploading to it, possibly being aware of it.

Step 2, criminalize as many things as possible

Then I hear about the government paying infiltrators and plain clothes police officers to infiltrate "problem groups" which almost any active Canadian with a pulse could possibly be a member of. Remember the g20 RCMP inciting violence?

Step 3, create a problem to provide a solution

And now we have the government dictating that all government correspondence refer to the Canadian government as "The Harper Government" (Harper also removed all the portraits of past leaders and replaced them with himself, I kid you not.)

And what is this "Harper Government" going to do? Simple:

Using the newly built prisons, restrictive and unjust laws, and corrupt government agencies, Harper is going to send anyone he deems unfavorably to jail.

What Canadian agrees with a person growing a plant doing more time that a child molester? none that want to vote for Harper, that's for sure, and lucky enough, he's essentially made everything those people do in their lives a crime. For profit. All for profit of private industry.

Step 4, Fascism Canadian style, with extra bacon

edit on 6-12-2011 by phishyblankwaters because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:59 AM
link   
reply to post by phishyblankwaters

Yup.

As I read it a few months ago ( I don't remember the source so forbie my ad-hoc rumor here) that Harper's new prisons were so we can play baby sitter to American prisoners since the overcrowding is so bad in the US.

IMO we should let them build the new prisons and immediately demand they demolish the existing ones.

As a side note, I completely agree with everything you have said, you echo the thoughts of a vast majority of Canadians. I'm really sad that a lot of conservatives who voted for Harper are scratching their heads, wondering why they voted for a Conservative, but got a Liberty Grabbing Liberal.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:42 AM
link   

Originally posted by tothetenthpower

I am truly shocked and appalled the the Conservative government could do something like this. When there is a clear concensus among Canadians who understand the bill, that it is bad for our country.

~Keeper

Here's the thing though. How many Canadians actually understand this bill. I bet if you walked down Young Street in Toronto (or pick any major street in any major city) you would be lucky if you could get a 1 in 10 ratio of people that have even heard about this bill. And then of all the people that have heard about it very few would have a clue what it means.

Don't get me wrong, I love this country, what I find sad is that so few people have any interest in what is really happening here. As said abouve as long as they can get their Tim's all is well.

Welcome to AmeriCanada. Coming soon to a StarBucks-Hortons near you.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
reply to post by NoNameBrand

Oh I agree entirely with you.

Then again these things are kept out of the media and rushed in these ways to prevent Canadians from having the time to gain the proper understanding of what is being tabled in the House Of Commons.

But we are far too complacent as Canadians.

~Keeper

new topics

top topics

join