It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need the Police?

page: 7
<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:20 PM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

Lol funny same here, all I can remember is cops spitting in my face and putting their hands in my pockets for no reason. I'm from America, in California, we've had our share of police harassment. They are psychologically adoring the life of power but to a humble person they are of a different realm almost..
edit on 6-12-2011 by greyer because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:24 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

They are the same all over.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:32 PM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
reply to post by ComeFindMe

Yeah,the crazy thing is the Law in some cases punishes us for protesting ourselves. Its like they want us to feel helpless in a way.

That depends on where you live. The state I live in acknowledges the right of an atacked person to use equal, or greater force within reason, to stop the attack. It also acknowledges the right of a person to defend their home, business, and vehicle against unlawful intrusion by others as long as they are inside when the intrusion occurs.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:36 PM
link   

In the UK I walked down a street in north London and the cops seemed really cool, I'm the type of guy that to see two cops looking absolutely nothing of a threat to my freedom would feel good about it Maybe I happened to see two cops looking like that and when nightime comes they start pulling everybody over questioning them, because in America every cop's first goal is to get the person out of their vehicle to search their pockets in order to intrude in their private lives, hoping they can find some flaw against the book of rules that uncle Sam wrote. A cop is usually a power-driven individual that looks down on society, at least in regards to a humble person.

Originally posted by greyer
They are psychologically adoring the life of power but to a humble person they are of a different realm almost.

edit on 6-12-2011 by greyer because: spelling

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by MikeNice81

reply to post by ComeFindMe

Yeah,the crazy thing is the Law in some cases punishes us for protesting ourselves. Its like they want us to feel helpless in a way.

That depends on where you live. The state I live in acknowledges the right of an atacked person to use equal, or greater force within reason, to stop the attack. It also acknowledges the right of a person to defend their home, business, and vehicle against unlawful intrusion by others as long as they are inside when the intrusion occurs.

That does not depend on where you live in America, because if you ask anybody living reality a cop in America will pull somebody over looking supscious to them. They will take them out of the car and search there pockets immediately, hoping to find something of a nature that would put the person in the back of their car. SO anybody protesting anything will get searched and quarantined in reality.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:47 PM
link   
I myself have been thinking about this recently, whenever you badmouth the police people always say "you'll need them some day" or something similar. I think well no, some situations i could handle but on the other hand if we just abandoned the whole idea of law enforcement then , as some have already mentioned, we'd be thrown into a world of vigilantism. Now imagine what would happen if someone was rumoured or currently being tried as a rapist and a vigilante mob got their hands on them, thats not fair if they're killed or beaten particularly as its common for rape accusations to be bogus ( should mention that of course many are legitimate, just saying from experience).
i think a system needs to be in place, it just needs to be more transparent.

x

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:50 PM
link   

SO...you have never had a police officer direct you through traffic?

Police are most definitely necessary. What good are laws if they are not enforced?

I think that it helps to know a police officer to realize the crappy stuff they go through daily to serve and protect. There are a lot of bad cops out there, but some are hard-working caring folks who genuinely care about doing their jobs well and protecting people.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:55 PM
link   
reply to post by chr0naut

Actually LEOs are calling out the government and their own departments on the prohibition issue.

LEAP

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
I haven't had alot of interaction with police , but I do agree for the most part they are worthless. We were robbed at gunpoint May 8 , 2009 in our home . Two twenty year olds held my three kids at gunpoint in my livingroom floor pistol whipping them while another ( 18 ) roamed room to room trashing our home and repeatedly sticking a gun to my head each time he entered my room. I got lucky and found my phone while the guy was in my daughters room and managed to call for help. My youngest son was brought into my room and placed faced down at my feet when the three heard the sirens. You bet i'm grateful that lady police officer was at my house four minutes after she was sitting there when my call came in.... I wanted to jump out of my skin in court when the one guy's trashy girlfriend kept sitting beside me and reminding me how uninterested they were about what had happened to us in the house. They were never charged with splitting my daughters head open but you can bet they were punished ( if you call 2.5 years punishment ) for the shootout they had with police. The mother of one of them kept sending me "looks" in the courtroom as if I had done besides fall asleep in my own bed. That woman paid the 50 grand in bond to get her son out of jail....his mom has 50 thousand dollars laying around but he tries to kill people in their home @ 3:30 in the morning. The guy with the trash girlfriend had a sister screaming in my face in the hall because I shot him a look when he was being brought into the courtroom.....should I have been friendly with him ? There is alot we suffer after this type of crime that those haven't can't imagine .. including cleaning up your child's blood and seeing what people that can't understand say.
I'm sorry for the rant...touchy subject.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:12 PM
link   
reply to post by atrent1156

Text SO...you have never had a police officer direct you through traffic?

No

And low skilled workers can do that.

I have never had the police help me and they do not offer anything to the general public that we cannot provide for ourselves
edit on 6-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:15 PM
link   
reply to post by greyer

I'll quote myself from another thread.

The average beat cop or detective isn't out there trying to bother people or spying on people. That isn't what they want to do. Plus they don't have time. A single DUI arrest takes an officer off of the street for about two to three hours before they even start the report. Writing a citation for a moving violation requires twenty minutes of report writing. An assault arrest takes two hours plus the report. If the officer had to use force to stop the assault it is about 80 minutes of report writing. Don't even get me started on how long it takes to actually process a drug bust. The average beat cop doesn't have time to go around needlessly messing with people. If they stop somebody they had a reasonable suspicion that they needed too. Spending an hour or two processing a person plus an hour writing a report - just to spend three hours sitting in court to watch it get thrown out - is not fun or productive.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:24 PM
link   

Police have not done much to prevent gang crime,murder,drug use,traffiking or rape in my opinion. You could take the Police off the streets and these thing would remain at a steady level.

You may be willing to bet your life and safety on this paper thin hypothesis, but most of us are not. This is one of the "for the common good" things that really is.

/TOA

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:26 PM
link   

Text That depends on where you live. The state I live in acknowledges the right of an atacked person to use equal, or greater force within reason, to stop the attack. It also acknowledges the right of a person to defend their home, business, and vehicle against unlawful intrusion by others as long as they are inside when the intrusion occurs
reply to post by MikeNice81

I would rather live in a place with Laws similar to Texas rather than New York or Chicago.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:33 PM
link   
reply to post by Elisha03011972

but I do agree for the most part they are worthless

The cops saved your whole family's lives but they are still mostly worthless? What kind of idiotic bull crap is that? A lady risked her life to save the lives of your family. According to you she engaged in a gun fight with the people threatening you in an efort to protect you. In other words someone that does not know you was willing to sacrifice their life to save you. Yet they are worthless for the most part?

A perfect example of the fact that you can never please people. They are going to hate cops no matter what they do.

They were never charged with splitting my daughters head open but you can bet they were punished ( if you call 2.5 years punishment ) for the shootout they had with police.

That is up to the magistrate, and the district attorney's office. That isn't up to the cops. Trust me, when the cops drug them in the station they were trying to dogpile every charge you can imagine. When a crime like that occurs a cop really wants to just curb stomp the perps. Instead they take them downtown and stand in front of a magistrate that determines the initial charges and bond. When standing in front of that magistrate the cop has to make his case for the charges he wants to file. The cop is going to bring as many as he can because the magistrate usually chops off a few.

Then the DA gets the case. Then they decided what the person will actually face in court. They can drop charges, change charges, add charges, or drop the whole case. I am willing to bet that between the person in your house getting hand cuffed and them showing up in court the magistrate and DA did a lot of chopping and whittling. It wasn't the cops that refused to charge them with home invasion, assault on a minor, unlawfully discharging a weapon, assault with a deadly weapon, and a number of other charges.

That woman paid the 50 grand in bond to get her son out of jail....his mom has 50 thousand dollars laying around but he tries to kill people in their home @ 3:30 in the morning.

If it as an unsecured bond she would have only needed $5,000. If she had something for collateral most bondsmen would happily pay the $5,000 and charge 20% interest.

edit on 6-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

edit on 6-12-2011 by MikeNice81 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:36 PM
link   
reply to post by The Old American

I dont think we should be so scared. The world is a good place for the most part.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:13 PM
link   
# the PoPo. They are mostly scared little men waiting out their pension. Seriously, I was beaten by a cop when I was only sixteen. Most of them are primitive IDIOTS. Fact, law inforcement is a huge attraction for pathological narcissists. They are either trolling for revenue (writing up useless citations) or siting around on their corn fed obese asses. Yea I'm mad, and I have every right to be. The only good ones are the old-timers who have already been through the cowardly macho #e and mellowed out, ie... lived to tell about their youthful stupidity.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

All they have done is cause misery for me, even experienced police brutality 1st hand when i was only 15 and im no criminal. Give some trustworthy citizens some guns and anyone killing people randomly can be shot by them. Bring real justice not the fake justice we have now. It's all for the money and thats it.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   

Text They are mostly scared little men waiting out their pension.
reply to post by kazanoom

I agree.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:27 PM
link   

Originally posted by definity
colombine? crips v bluds? motorway pile ups? murders? drugs? child/woman traffiking? rape?

Columbine? Well, they disarmed everyone (including staff) within public schools, stuff like this is bound to happen where individuals are disarmed.

Crips vs Bloods? They take care of themselves.

Motorway pileups? What do they do? Oh, they write accident reports, they instruct you to move your vehicles off the road (if they work) and call tow trucks if they don't. Any competent person can do this for himself, and accident reports could be done without.

Murders? See 'disarmed' post above.

Drugs? Well, there's a strong argument for the lack of basis of these being illegal anyway. Legalization of this makes 'Bloods vs Crips' above a moot point, as those organizations will cease to function.

Traffiking? We don't live in third world countries now do we? The concept of 'a functioning family unit' seems to be strong enough to prevent things like this. People look after others that they care about.

Rape? See both on disarming above.

Final consensus? Nope, no real reason for an existing police force.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:29 PM
link   

Text Bring real justice not the fake justice we have now.
reply to post by Revolutionz

new topics

top topics

<< 4  5  6    8  9  10 >>

join