It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Do we really need the Police?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I think its a good question. I have never had a Police Officer help me in my entire life. I have had Police annoy me for no reason many times. I have been pulled over for Random Breath Teasts. Issued a fine for a minor traffic infringment (got out of it ) Have had them try to put an AVO on me ( represented myself in court and beat it ). I have had two undercover Police stop me shortly after I left a Mall and they asked to look inside my bag at my peronal private property. ( stopped them ) Again,not once have the Police assisted me in any way. I have never called the police to resolve any problem. I think people should work things out for themselves.

I think my experience with Police would be the same with most people. Even on the off-chance you have recieved help I am sure it would be outwieghed by the amount of times Police have hassled you. Another thing is they always have this front of superiority and are generally arrogant and aggresive. They do not exist to help,rather they exist to raise revenue for governments and to protect the rich.

Do you agree?
Couldnt we do without the Police?

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:57 AM
link   
colombine? crips v bluds? motorway pile ups? murders? drugs? child/woman traffiking? rape?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:59 AM
link   
Yes, unfortunatly we do still live in a world where we need a police force. Unfortunatly, the police force we have in place at the moment (world wide IMO) are utter scum who are there for all of the wrong reasons. Get rid of the filth from the force, get rid of the targets they're told to meet to raise monies, and get rid of the violent pigs in the force, and you'll have what we had to start with. Cops you can talk to without fear of them suddenly turning on you and trying to arrest you for no good reason. Cops who will actually let a protest be, and only sort out any trouble, without villifying everyone there.

Without any police force, we'd have vigilante groups and all sorts of madness. There are still people who want to hurt others, and steal from others. Those people still need to be held accountabel for their actions. We just need a decent police force to be put back in place, so people can trust them, so people aren't fearful of them and that so people can turn to them when they need help. That's a long way off, the type of cop we need are long gone. replaced by storm troopers on steroids.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

The following is my opinion as a member participating in this discussion.

Why yes, you do need people whose job is to go after criminals and protect the average citizen, provide order.

Problem is however, we don't use cops, we use mercernaries.

This isn't all cops mind you, there are far more good cops than bad cops. Mostly when you've had a negative experience, it's probably because of the way that you reacted that caused the problem in the first place.

In any case, that's not what this reply is about. What we need are police officers who come when they are called and who cannot charge you unless they can provide you with the following:

1. A charge.
2. Somebody of flesh and blood claiming the charge against you.
3. Proof that you either harmed somebody, caused them any significant loss, or were dishonest in your dealings.

All of those things are actual common law that you are entitled to claim as a member of the race of man. Problem is nobody knows what their rights are anymore.

But I digress. The reason we have the problems we do today, whether it be with Law Enforcement, or government, or military is that we allowed them to become like this. It is apathy and complacency on the part of the regular citizen that has caused all of these problems.

You've become exactly what you've allowed and agreed to and did nothing about when it was clear your masters were taking more control. Don't get upset at a system you watched get developped and then did nothing to change.

But do we need trained professionals whose job it is to keep us safe? The answer is simply yes.

~Keeper

As an ATS Staff Member, I will not moderate in threads such as this where I have participated as a member.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   

I think people should work things out for themselves.

People working things out on their own is dangerous. Because you will get something that we call democracy. A democracy is when you have a group of people who share the same points of view. This group will create their own laws and apply their own form of punishment by vote. Not by common law that applies to all.

Imagine your self against a angry mob. If they catch you, what do you think your odds are for a fair trial?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:20 AM
link   
We need them but not at to the extent we have them today. They should not have power over people committing victimless crime, that is where the law self implodes because the police are enforcing not protecting.
Sometimes police are helping the people but just as much they are working against them, they are thugs for hire just like our governments.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:22 AM
link   
hi op

i realy dont know
all i can say is
what was it like before sir robert peel founded it

source
en.wikipedia.org...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
reply to post by tothetenthpower

Text it's probably because of the way that you reacted that caused the problem in the first place.

Why would you assume that? Every example I provided was an instance where I was doing nothing wrong. Each time they have hassled me I have been minding my own business,not bothering anyone. There was no "problem" apart from my privacy and liberty being attacked. As I stated I navigated each situation quite well and have always gotten around these jerks. I am smart enough to know how to handle an arrogant individual suffering from an inferiority complex (Police) I didnt say I was arrogant and aggresive,I said they were. I know it wont get you anywhere to argue or disagree with these people. The only way to beat them is to bite your toungue and submit. I resent that I am forced to do that when dealing with Police. Their training teaches them not to see us as people but as 'the public' .I do not have any criminal convictions and I am a nice guy,the way I react has nothing to do with the fact that Police for the most part are an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money.
edit on 6-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
reply to post by spy66

Angy mobs are full of [SNIP]s. That is why they form mobs. There is a very nice chapter you might remember in 'Adventures of Huckleberry Finn' that demonstrates the right way to deal with a mob of wimps.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
You say you have been pulled over for a breath test, well lets say you was drunk (Yes I know you wasn't) and they got you off the road because you could of killed someone, so on that aspect alone yes of course we need the Police.
I for one have never had a problem with the Police and have been helped by them on more than one occasion for example, I was drunk after a night out and got out of the taxi at the wrong moment and ended up walking down a motorway to try and get home, Traffic Police turned up and said "Why are you walking down the motorway?" I explained (In a drunken way) that I was going to walk home, they told me to hop in and they gave me a lift to my house on one condition, I had to sing them a song
I sang "Come fly with me lets fly, lets fly away" to their great amusement.
I Also remember (After another night out) falling asleep on a bench in Manchester with a girl and waking up to find 2 police standing over me and finding out the girl had stole my wallet, I told them this and they gave me a lift home in the back of a van with two police dogs.
Hhhhhmmm I must be a happy nice drunk I suppose

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   
While my experiences with the police have been mostly pointless, I can't help but agree with some of the other posters, that we do need a police force.
While taking matters into our own hands would yield faster results, there is a set way to go about it, and I don't think that could be regulated by people who will manage things themselves.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:39 AM
link   

Why would you assume that? Every example I provided was an instance where I was doing nothing wrong. Each time they have hassled me I have been minding my own business,not bothering anyone. There was no "problem" apart from my privacy and liberty being attacked.

Why was it being "hassled"? Is everybody who talks to you in the run of the day a "hassle"?

As I stated I navigated each situation quite well and have always gotten around these jerks. I am smart enough to know how to handle an arrogant individual suffering from an inferiority complex (Police) I didnt say I was arrogant and aggresive,I said they were.

Your problem is that you perceive all law enforcement as being the same. You are making generalizations. All you do in that case is make your life harder. And as you carry this thought with you, or this demeanor, I find it hard to believe that you were friendly and cooperative with the police.

Who in all honesty is just some dude who works 9-5 for crap wages and who really is no different han you, most of the time. Again there are bad cops, but to say that they are all like that, is just well, plain slander and silly.

I know it wont get you anywhere to argue or disagree with these people. The only way to beat them is to bite your toungue and submit.

That's actually not true at all. You can certainly speak up, claim your rights as a member of the race of man and never really be bothered by the police, regardless of what you are doing. If you know your rights and speak to law enforcement the way you should, they have no right, to do anything to you, not really even question you if you so choose.

I resent that I am forced to do that when dealing with Police. Their training teaches them not to see us as people but as 'the public' .I do not have any criminal convictions and I am a nice guy,the way I react has nothing to do with the fact that Police for the most part are an unnecessary waste of taxpayer money.

You are misinformed, which is why you are resentfull at law enforcement. Go pick up a law book and read about Common Law, Magna Carta and Water Law. Ignorance of the law and your rights, does not give somebody an excuse to treat an entire group of people with the same hatefull distain for the actions of a few.

You may not have criminal convictions, but a lot of people do. Trust me, you'll be happy the day you actually NEED the police and they come help, as opposed to not, because there are none around.

I've needed the police before, I've had my life saved on more than one occasion because of good law enforcement and I'm sure that's the case for many people. Just because you personally have not had to use that service yet, does not make it a waste of money, nor a terrible profession.

~Keeper
edit on 12/6/2011 by tothetenthpower because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by definity
colombine? crips v bluds? motorway pile ups? murders? drugs? child/woman traffiking? rape?

The Police stopped Colombine? I would send an ambulance to a pile up,not Police. Police have not done much to prevent gang crime,murder,drug use,traffiking or rape in my opinion. You could take the Police off the streets and these thing would remain at a steady level. The reason is because most people are good. Do you really think Police deter criminal behaviour? I dont at all.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:46 AM
link   

Of course they didnt because they don't know the future but they do investigations to stop crimes from happening and they react to tip off's from people which do prevent crime from happening.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:49 AM
link   

Text Why was it being "hassled"? Is everybody who talks to you in the run of the day a "hassle"?

They were not just speaking to me, why should I have to put up with two plain clothes Police bailing me up as I leave a Mall for no good reason? I dont like living in a paranoid Police State and I value my liberty.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:53 AM
link   

Text Your problem is that you perceive all law enforcement as being the same.

They are the same. Sure there are cops with good intentions but they were trained and are employed by the enemy. At the end of the day they are in the corner of the state,not the corner of the people.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

The CIA,FBI and Law Enforcment that does not hassle the general public can deal with that stuff.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:55 AM
link   
We do need the police however we also need the police to apply some common sense from time to time.

The last 2 incidents I had with the police left nothing positive even though one was minor and could have been handled differently and the other was nothing short of intimidation.

1st incident involved traffic police who pulled me over for no interior mirror that resulted in an on the spot fine of £30

I explained that my windscreen had been replaced recently and since then the mirror would fall off, I had it fixed on 3 occasions but it would not stick, the last time it fell into the drivers foot well so I left it off.

I thought in a situation like that an advisory notice would have been more acceptable and maybe a pep talk on why it was an offence.

to be honest I was stopped and dealt with in less than 10 minutes they done no inspections of the car they just checked I was legal to drive, it felt as if all they cared about was handing out the fixed penalty.

The other incident still makes my blood boil to this day.

I was at home with my son (3 years old) when I heard a couple of loud bangs coming from the landing outside my front door.
I opened the front door and had a look down the stairs to see a stranger looking up at my door, now this guy was about 6'2 and well built he was dressed normally with no id on display.

The tone of the conversation was aggressive from the off

Him:What's your name?
Me:What's your name?
Him: Get back in your #in house.
Me: So I will (sarcasm)
Him:Get back in your #in house.

Just then a female came up the stairs and flashed a lanyard with i.d at me so I presumed it was the Police and went inside. I was still angry with the way I was spoken to as the only thing I had done was look out for myself and my neighbours.

I got my son dressed and went down stairs I asked the guy was there any need to speak to me the way he did and he said there was, I phoned my mum from the street and asked her to come round as a potential witness as I was going to be asking further questions as soon as they had finished.

Whilst standing in the street the guy approaches me and asks why I am making a phone call in the street rather than in my own own I explained that I was waiting for them to finish so that I could speak to his supervisor we then ran over what happened at the stairs and for some reason he kept touching my shoulder.
I told him to stop putting his hands on me to which he replied 'Or else?'

Now its just me him and my 3 year old son my blood was boiling at this point.

His supervisor appeared and I was going over what happened.

Him:What's your name?
Me:What's your name?
Him: Get back in your #in house.

I got as far a s here when the officer in question interrupted calling me a liar and insisted on the first thing he said to me when I opened the door was 'This is a police operation, go back in your house.'

Public relations with the police for me is at a low and is something that has to be put right, unless attitudes change and the stereotyping disappears people will continue to have a dislike or even hatred for the police.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   

Wonderful.

You ignore the vast majority of my post; which was an effort to empower you and remove your stigma of law enforcement by making you understand what your rights are.

But you'd rather pull the wool over your eyes and ears and continue banging your head on a wall.

That's fine.

You may continue to do so. I however will not pity anybody who doesn't want to know his/her rights and wishes to paint all members of a particular group in one color.

That my friend is a dangerious line of thinking. And it's mostly how the bad cops think too.

Do us all a favor then. Please do not ask questions such as " do we need law enforcement", claim they are all useless without a proper understanding of the them or your rights as a citizen.

~Keeper

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   

Text You may not have criminal convictions, but a lot of people do. Trust me, you'll be happy the day you actually NEED the police and they come help, as opposed to not, because there are none around.

I dont "need" them at all and I never will. There have been occasions I could have sought Police assistance but I am not helpless. What can they do that I cannot? Look at the London riots when the Police failed to maintain prder and saftey,who came to the aid of the public? The public came to the aid of the public. We can look after ourselves, we dont need them.

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join