It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

80s

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:17 AM
link   
I think with some of those in the younger demographic, they sometimes have difficulty understanding why some of the older cats are so resistant to rap and hip hop. I can understand why they might be confused given that most only hear the current refined tracks, even though they are still simplistic musically, they are well beyond the tunes that gave birth to the genre.

Think about it. The guys coming off of Zeppelin and Floyd, or Miles Davis and Weather Report, or Marvin Gay and Earth Wind And Fire, etc ... Could we really take this seriously?

Seriously?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:14 AM
link   
hi op

cant take seriously
i had to reply wen i seen the thread
i thought it was about 80s music in general
sorry if its of topic but
i loved the 80s music
ultravox, duran duran, spandau ballet,queen,abc,aha the list goes on

can anyone confirm that blondie wasnt selling to well in the usa
and they got there recognition here in the uk
im not sure
thanks op im on a 80s spree now lol

dave

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:19 AM
link   
Long live the 80s.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:31 AM
link   
reply to post by notquiteright

Think about it. The guys coming off of Zeppelin and Floyd, or Miles Davis and Weather Report, or Marvin Gay and Earth Wind And Fire, etc ... Could we really take this seriously?

Does Paco De Lucia take heavy metal seriously?
You're asking a question that makes no sense.

What you're going to get is replies like this;
Rock Fan: "Rap is crap blah blah"
Rap Fan: "You don't know, rock is crap blah blah".

Every music genre deserves it's recognition. They're all different.
I'm sure the parents back in the late 40's were against Rock n Roll music.
Look at Rock n Roll music now, an ancient relic.
And it's the Rock n Rollers telling the young ones not to listen to rap.

One day you won't be here. Enjoy it while you can.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:41 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:51 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

Does Paco De Lucia take heavy metal seriously?
You're asking a question that makes no sense.

What you're going to get is replies like this;
Rock Fan: "Rap is crap blah blah"
Rap Fan: "You don't know, rock is crap blah blah".

Every music genre deserves it's recognition. They're all different.
I'm sure the parents back in the late 40's were against Rock n Roll music.
Look at Rock n Roll music now, an ancient relic.
And it's the Rock n Rollers telling the young ones not to listen to rap.

One day you won't be here. Enjoy it while you can.

I appreciate. What you are saying, but it's why I mentioned at least 3 different genres. I'm not a rock fan. I'm a music fan. It has nothing to do with hating a style (I don't like metal either), it's the level of complexity. Things went from fairly complex to just a beat.

Love Paco, btw. I got to see him live once, back in the early 90s.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:27 AM
link   

Ahhh, I envy you!

I'm from the area Paco's from, well near there, 15 mins or so.
Flamenco is my fav music.
But my likes goes from Flamenco to Reggae to Hip`Hop to Metal lol
Frank Sintra, Dean Martin lol
You name it, I like it.
Even country and western, Hank Williams, lol
I'm an all rounder.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dr Cosma

Ahhh, I envy you!

I'm from the area Paco's from, well near there, 15 mins or so.
Flamenco is my fav music.
But my likes goes from Flamenco to Reggae to Hip`Hop to Metal lol
Frank Sintra, Dean Martin lol
You name it, I like it.
Even country and western, Hank Williams, lol
I'm an all rounder.

I like a wide variety of stuff, too. I admit, though, I don't like everything. The things I don't like are a much shorter list.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:01 PM
link   

I appreciate. What you are saying, but it's why I mentioned at least 3 different genres. I'm not a rock fan. I'm a music fan. It has nothing to do with hating a style (I don't like metal either), it's the level of complexity. Things went from fairly complex to just a beat.

Is that to say complex is better? Maybe music got simpler for a reason. Maybe it was because music at that time was massively pedantic and stuck up it's own butt. It is in my experience that people who write off an entire genre haven't heard enough of it. A real music fan never says they don't like an entire genre because a real music fan knows that even after years of listening they've still only heard a fraction of it.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:17 PM
link   

You have made a rod for your own back here OP, 80's music thread ahoy

edit on 6-12-2011 by davespanners because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:19 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by FEDec

Is that to say complex is better? Maybe music got simpler for a reason. Maybe it was because music at that time was massively pedantic and stuck up it's own butt. It is in my experience that people who write off an entire genre haven't heard enough of it. A real music fan never says they don't like an entire genre because a real music fan knows that even after years of listening they've still only heard a fraction of it.

No, complex is not always better. The last thing I want to hear is something that sounds like a technical exercise. But I do like a little instrumentation in my music. I'm not trying to bash a whole genre, I'm just making a point about why it may not have appealed to certain people, such as myself. There was a point when the "in" thing was for rappers to have a jazz-hiphop kind of thing as a backing track. That was the closest I came to liking it, and I gave them credit at the time, noting that I liked the direction it was going in, but that went away fairly quickly and I didn't like the stuff that followed it. Also, I should point out (and since this is now the pro-80s thread, this will not be a popular thing to say) that even the other genres of the 80s simplified greatly. Where there were some great pianists in the years just before, suddenly we had single finger keyboard players everywhere. Rock had already been comprised mostly of triads (3 note chords), but metal simplified that even further due to so much overdrive on the guitars, they dropped the third and began playing just two note chords, which technically aren't even chords, they are intervals.There is a time and place for simplistic, but it does it have to get completely simplistic? Bosa Nova is simplistic. Simple catchy melodies with a simplified samba rhythm, but the harmonic structure was still complex, which is why I think it worked so well. That being said, I realize it is a style that most people make fun of.

Also, I feel, (and maybe I'm wrong) that the more a musician knows about music, the better equipped they are to transfer what they might hear in their head to the instrument. A guy who knows only three chords might have this great idea in his head, but when he goes to his instrument, the idea is going to conform somewhat to fit the limited knowledge he has to work with. Simple tunes can be much better if they are simple because it is appropriate rather than simple because it has to be. I could easily start another thread complaining about musicians that sacrifice the quality of their songs because they feel like they have to show everything they got in every one of them. That's even worse, because they should know better.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by notquiteright
No, complex is not always better. The last thing I want to hear is something that sounds like a technical exercise. But I do like a little instrumentation in my music. I'm not trying to bash a whole genre, I'm just making a point about why it may not have appealed to certain people, such as myself. There was a point when the "in" thing was for rappers to have a jazz-hiphop kind of thing as a backing track. That was the closest I came to liking it, and I gave them credit at the time, noting that I liked the direction it was going in, but that went away fairly quickly and I didn't like the stuff that followed it. Also, I should point out (and since this is now the pro-80s thread, this will not be a popular thing to say) that even the other genres of the 80s simplified greatly. Where there were some great pianists in the years just before, suddenly we had single finger keyboard players everywhere. Rock had already been comprised mostly of triads (3 note chords), but metal simplified that even further due to so much overdrive on the guitars, they dropped the third and began playing just two note chords, which technically aren't even chords, they are intervals.There is a time and place for simplistic, but it does it have to get completely simplistic? Bosa Nova is simplistic. Simple catchy melodies with a simplified samba rhythm, but the harmonic structure was still complex, which is why I think it worked so well. That being said, I realize it is a style that most people make fun of.

Also, I feel, (and maybe I'm wrong) that the more a musician knows about music, the better equipped they are to transfer what they might hear in their head to the instrument. A guy who knows only three chords might have this great idea in his head, but when he goes to his instrument, the idea is going to conform somewhat to fit the limited knowledge he has to work with. Simple tunes can be much better if they are simple because it is appropriate rather than simple because it has to be. I could easily start another thread complaining about musicians that sacrifice the quality of their songs because they feel like they have to show everything they got in every one of them. That's even worse, because they should know better.

1) You are acting like the organic jazz hip-hop set went away. It didn't you are just clearly too lazy to find it and that is your fault not hip hop's.

2) Metal is easily the most technically proficient genre on the planet right now. A good metal band is the logical conclusion not just to rock but jazz and classical as well. The modern metal band plays with the speed of the fastest rock, the proficiency of the greatest jazz musicians and the attention to composition of the classical masters. If you are again to lazy to find this amazing music it is again your fault and not the fault of the music.

3) Music is expression of feeling and emotion not expression of how many years you spent with your nose in a music book playing other people's music. If you can't understand that you are not a fan of music, you are a fan of pedantic technical wankery. I respect a crappy teen punk band who play their own songs 10000000% more than some gifted snooty violinist who will never bring anything new or exciting to music ever.

After reading your posts I have the distinct feeling that you have closed yourself off to far too much after hearing far too little to actually make that decision. I'll say it again a true fan of music will never completely dismiss an entire genre because to paraphrase Socrates a true music fan knows only that they know nothing. A true music fan is always learning and will never cut themselves off of a path down which that learning might be found.
edit on 7-12-2011 by FEDec because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:17 PM
link   

Mantronix Ft MC Tee - Hardcore Hip-Hop

I will go back to some good B-Boy tunes

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:08 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

I never advocated for anyone to play other people's music. I don't like song remakes and have never liked cover bands. I am all about original music, or at least I was. Looks like I've been stripped of my right to be a music fan. Oh well.

posted on Dec, 10 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by FEDec

Ok. Finally got around to watching your videos. The first one centers around two chords for most of the song, and one of them is more of a passing chord, which makes it kind of like a song centered around one chord. Either way, it doesn't matter. I stated that I made note that hip hop was going in a better direction, not that I was head over heals for what I heard. No, I didn't go searching for more. I was just hoping it would bring the genre up a little.

That first metal video had some one burping all the way through it, so I couldn't hear much beyond that. The last video wasn't bad, just not my cup of tea. I never said there were not good metal musicians or bands, I just said I don't like it. I have many friends and even a brother who played in metal bands. It's just not my thing. I used to listen to a lot of 80s metal when I was younger, which is what I was referencing.

That out of the way, the thread is titled 80s. My references to music in this thread are regarding the soundscape of the early 80s. Not what happened since then, but at that time. My comments about metal are relevant to that time, as well as my comments about keyboard players and rap, or anything else.

Back in the day, before the internet, I used to go to the music store every payday. Couldn't afford much, but I'd usually buy one or two tapes or cd's. I would normally buy one disc which was something I was already aware of and wanted, and for the other, I would browse around and look for something interesting, something I had never heard of. I bought a lot of music this way, and some of it was like striking gold, while others were duds. I couldn't just go online and listen to a song first, much less steal it. I had to just have a leap of faith and buy it. Oh, and since my tastes were not normal, many things I wanted were not easily available. Music stores had limited inventory, and there was no internet to order from, so if I wanted something, I had to go to a record store and fill out a form so they could order it for me. Then, I would wait about 2 weeks minimum to finally get my disc. Hardly lazy. I developed a great appreciation for various types of world music, none of which I would describe as technical wankery.

I have been a musician for nearly 25 years, so maybe I can be a little hard on it, but that is my right, just the same as liking crap is yours. Trust me, I am as hard on my own music as I am on everyone else. Actually, I'm more forgiving of other musicians. I didn't start this thread to be a jerk or to fight with anyone. The fact is, there was a drop in musicianship across the board in the 80s. There are many possible reasons for this, but whatever, you probably will argue with me regardless of anything i say.

Oh, and to be honest, I just don't hear the "jazz" in any of the metal videos you posted. Maybe just bad examples?

edit on 10-12-2011 by notquiteright because: (no reason given)

top topics

join