It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Newly discovered planet 'Kepler-22b' is eerily similar to Earth, NASA finds

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

Just a slight correction there, 16 months cannot be slightly less then a year. Unless we're talking Alien planet years. And it's interesting to see the development. I looked the star system up on these coordinates 19h 16m 52.2s +47° 53′ 4.2″ on wikisky and it seems there's at least a star there. I guess that's how our solar system with Sol looks like when viewed from afar.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:24 AM
link   

Originally posted by illuminatislave
Hi,

What do they mean by "the twin" of our sun? As in a binary twin?

It's to far away to be a binary twin, They mean it's like our own sun.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:28 AM
link   
Whoopty doo...

....Has NASA discovered WARP Drive yet ???.....nope !!

May as well be on the other side of the Universe....we will never get there.

All you alien hunters...yes there is life.....BUT...the distances are so vast any form of contact, past or present are out of the question.

Another pointless NASA exercise.

Cosmic..

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:34 AM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Our sun is a "G2V" classed star, a "Yellow Dwarf". By "twin" they probably mean that it is similarly classed.

A G-type main-sequence star (G V), often (and imprecisely) called a yellow dwarf, is a main-sequence star of spectral type G and luminosity class V.

Other G V stars include Alpha Centauri A, Tau Ceti, and 51 Pegasi.

This is actually sweet because it shows how commonplace planets similar to our own actually are. If we have found one already that means there are hundreds of thousands to millions of planets like this in our own galaxy.

And who knows how many are like this in other galaxies, perhaps countless.

Very very good news.

edit on 5-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)

it hurts my brain to think that it's possible for there to be a billion earthlike planets, base minimum in this galaxy alone.

that puts the estimate at a trillion earth like planets with ease in our local group alone...

with the probability leaning towards a lot of them having technological abilties much like our own, its safe to say,
we are not alone out there!!!

No it's a billion suns like ours that are out there in our galaxy and that doesn't mean that every one will have planets like ours in orbit around them.

What people don't realise is that though this planet is relatively close, they've still found a needle in a haystack just by finding it. It does not mean the every second star system is going to have planets in the habitable zone and it doesn't mean that every planet in a habitable zone will have the millions of other things needed to make the planets habitable. But if this pans out they've done very well indeed.
edit on 6-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:44 AM
link   

Originally posted by flexy123
Chances are 90000% that the "other" race is smarter than us...so i don't think it will be that easy to "colonize" them
Look around what a stupid race humans are...we cant even live right on our own planet...

Intelligence does not necessarily equate to wisdom. Humans are very intelligent (or capable of it), but most aren't very wise or discerning. The same could be true about extraterrestrial beings. They might be greatly advanced and highly intelligent, but that doesn't mean they are very wise or discerning. Intelligence is only a tool to be used in conjunction with many other tools. One can be both smart and lazy or even so intelligent they have become conceited, and thus are not necessarily acting in a very wise manner.

Intelligence is far from the only factor necessary to become advanced, and it is also not the only factor which makes one good or bad (for lack of better terms).

Another thing, which never seems to be considered by those proposing life in other worlds, is that becoming more advanced and being more intelligent does not necessarily mean extraterrestrial beings would have any desire to go off-planet. Maybe the more intelligent and wise one becomes, the more they realize living simple is the superior life, and they are a civilization billions of years old which look more like the pioneer days of America than Buck Rogers?

All I am saying is that you got to have ambition too. We assume that intelligence equates to ambition, but we could be wrong, there may be a point at which intelligence becomes so great that ambition falls to the wayside, or at least ambition towards certain things. We also assume that the sort of intelligence we are familiar with is the only sort out there.

We make lots of assumptions in our calculations concerning life (and particularly intelligent life) on other worlds, and such assumptions may not be justified. One big one which comes to mind is that we assume advanced and intelligent means peaceful, and I don't think we have any evidence to support that, in fact, if our own world is any indicator, we should probably stay away from extraterrestrials as they would likely be warmongers, abusers, users, and destroyers. After all, it wasn't stupid people who invented warfare, bombs, guns, and other things to kill and maim with.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by RumET
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

Just a slight correction there, 16 months cannot be slightly less then a year. Unless we're talking Alien planet years. And it's interesting to see the development. I looked the star system up on these coordinates 19h 16m 52.2s +47° 53′ 4.2″ on wikisky and it seems there's at least a star there. I guess that's how our solar system with Sol looks like when viewed from afar.

I appreciate your input, unfortunately you must have misread, as I said, "slightly less than a year and a half," which would be correct.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:12 AM
link   
reply to post by Cosmic4life

just because your not interested in finding out how common or rare earth-like planets are doesn't mean everyone else thinks the same.

human beings have looked up at the stars for thousands of years and speculated if there are other planets like ours. Now we are starting to find out, with real data and hard facts. I guess some people just don't have an interest in the wider cosmos, what our place is and if we are alone or not.
edit on 6-12-2011 by yeti101 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:26 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

I guess depending on your perspective, it could be "much" larger. But in the sense of astronomical bodies, 2.4x bigger than our little blue orb is still relatively tiny.

Here's a helpful chart I modified showing Kepler-22b in relation to Earth and the other planets of our star system.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:38 AM
link   
There is no possible way to communicate with anyone there, if there is anyone there, with our current technology. Given that we have not been officially contacted by any intelligent ETs (face it, if they wanted to contact us, no governmental effort could stop them) I think it's safe to assume any nearby (within... 1,000 lightyears) species are no more advanced than us, or maybe barely so. If there was a space-faring race within 1,000 lightyears (and probably much further) of us, we would have knowledge of them.

There are other theories to consider, too. Perhaps any advanced civilizations wiped themselves out before we even got a chance to meet. Or maybe we did meet, thousands of years ago (ancient astronaut theory) but they have moved on in the universe. Or wiped themselves out years later. So many possibilities, but none of them include interacting with any aliens in our lifetimes.

Edit: If possible, I would sign up to be put into a cryogenic state after my death and sent towards Kepler-22b on an unmanned craft. By the time I arrive, humans and/or the natives of the planet should already be a Class II or III civilization and would be able to intercept me or meet me at Kepler-22b and reanimate my body (if my craft made it there intact).
edit on 12/6/2011 by OrphenFire because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:26 AM
link   

Originally posted by weirdguy

Originally posted by TheOven
I think we should start shooting missiles at it now.

Just in case

I'm kind of with you on this one.

By the time we have the tech to get there,

Earth will be quite buggered

I believe once we do find a way to get there, we will colonize it

and if there are locals they will not stop us.

Thats how we humans roll, and always have

You do know how the U.S loves to spread democracy,..right?I think we should clean up our own world before even thinking of finding habitable planets and possible life elsewhere.
what an embarrassment it would be ...but I'll save that for another thread

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   
Great! Science continually destroys its own stated position that UFOs are not anything real. Of course, you debunkers will not see a direct connection, so let me make it plain. If you lived in a fog-shrouded house, you could rightly say from your perspective that you had no neighbors because you didn't see any.

Along comes an increasingly strong wind called Science. The air begins to clear. You see more and more of the neighborhood, house after house appears. Some look amazingly like yours. They must be acknowleddged because you can no longer deny them.

At some point, you realized that the rare glimpses that you had over the years of (apparently) impossible sightings of other people walkng around past your house were not your imagination but merely glimpse of life as it really is all around you.

Seeing is believing, but the mind may disallow your senses if it feels threatened in its beliefs.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:06 AM
link   
reply to post by snowen20

HAhahaheeee! Ok thank you as my first post of the day cracked me up!
What a good answer, and yes you are probably right even though I believe earth is an exception locally.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
Yeah!!!
When can I move???

PLPL

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:08 AM
link   
reply to post by OrphenFire

Perhaps they haven't worked out how to get through they're radiation
belts yet either ?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:12 AM
link   
Makes you wonder if it's an alternate earth dimension or maybe even Terra Nova haha 600 light years away, so it would take us 600 years to reach it? How did we discover it via telescope?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:14 AM
link   
reply to post by Terrorist

Well I used "Dark side of the moon" both as a fact and metaphor. I know we have photos of the darkside of the moon. but no named areas. I you look at a lunar map like the on my father had as a young man. the side we see every night has many know land marks. Sea of Tranquility or Mt. Maryilin ect. the dark side of the moon has next to NO known named areas (other than grid 1234 ect)

The big arguement I never made last night (booze will do that to me
) was that why is it we worry about a planet thats 600 light years away, when the people on earth are hungry and homeless. We may NEVER colonize deepspace just because of the vast distances. We need to hold Earth in the highest regards, and besides I just have a feeling this is more fluff filler for Project Bluebeam or whatever with a fake alien invasion.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   
Yeah but without a moon stabilizing it's axis, the ``living part`` of that planet changes every few dozens millions of years... like one day it's hot at the equator and 50 million years later, it's as cold as Antarctica...

So maybe like can adapt to these conditions, but it would make it much harder...

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   
Am I the only one who thinks the search and finding of planets similar to earth and possibly capable of supporting life is absolutely fascinating, regardless of whether we could ever reach it or make contact with any possible ET from said planet? Sure, the idea of of someday encountering ET or discovering the physics and technology to travels lightyears, discovery of wormholes, etc. is awesome to think about in its own right, but I feel completely exhilarated by each new cosmic discovery simply because it's a mind#, a slap in the face to humanoid-centric perspective. Plus, I have a daughter, and someday she will probably have children and (assuming humanity survives), maybe her children's grandchildren will live to see the day!!
That's one hell of a thought to me.

No matter how bad things are on this planet, I will never think space exploration is a waste. Not because we need to hurry and find a new planet to conquer/colonize, but more because the study of how tiny we are is a humbling dose of humility that we as humans are in desperate need of whether or not we know it. (Plus it's just really really cool to think about! I can't think of anything more exciting that all of the secrets lurking out there!)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:48 PM
link   
reply to post by muzzleflash

I wonder if the "twin" is a red dwarf. Not all twins are identical you know, sometimes they're even male and female... o_O

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:03 PM
link   
reply to post by ladykenzie

I agree with you 100%! Anytime there's a new cosmic discovery, I almost wet my pants with excitement. I think space exploration deserves more credit and attention than it currently has. So when people quarrel over the semantics or say, "Yeah, but there's no way we can get there, so it sucks and doesn't mean anything," my jaw drops to the floor. How can anyone not find the cosmos fascinating?

I, personally, can't wait to see what the future holds for space exploration. It wasn't that long ago that we started exploring the cosmos and look where we are now with our understanding of the universe (albeit still extremely primitive, comparatively)! Just think, with our fast paced growth in technology and ever-changing understanding of physics what we'll be able find and explore in the near future!

Like you said, if only humanity can hold out for that long

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join