It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Some Alien Planets Could Be Made of Diamonds

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   

Some alien planets could be packing some major bling, according to a new study that predicts planets around other stars could be made largely of diamond. But while such a place might sound beautiful, you wouldn't want to visit, scientists say. A diamond planet would very likely be devoid of life and incapable of supporting living beings like us. "We think a diamond planet must be a very cold, dark place," Ohio State University Earth scientist Wendy Panero, leader of the study, said

Source

These potential giant terrestrial planets, whose insides could be up to 50-percent diamond,
Dubbed "carbon super-Earths" by scientists.

I think that would be a awesome sight to behold,seeing a planet with so much diamond,glimmering,just waiting for me to take my trusty pick axe and start mining!

Incredible, I would love to visit another inhabitable planet,especially one made up of 50% diamonds .
edit on 5-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:48 PM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

You wouldn't be able to do anything with the diamond even if you got there, unless your Axe is made of diamond itself so you can cut some chunks off. And if you already had a diamond axe you're set for life, that's worth all the money you can think of. A diamond planet would be pointless to some normal citizen like you or me, but Governments? Now that's a different story.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
I think there is a vast difference of life forms that we are aware of, like diamond based life forms or metal based life forms, So much we don't understand.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:49 PM
link   
reply to post by FidelityMusic

I know,I was dreaming and playing around for the sake of it.
I agree,governments surely would strip the planet of everything it would be worth.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   
And I propose there is an alien planet composed entirely of cotton candy.
prove me wrong, prove them wrong.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by PerfectPerception

I agree,governments surely would strip the planet of everything it would be worth.

it's funny because what it's "worth" is only determined by the general consensus among us.

to me, diamond is worthless, laughter is golden. too bad for some people.

although I do marvel at it's beauty sometimes, and the thought of a planet made of it does not entirely fall short.
it's not something that should be given worth over a lot of other things that truly matter imo.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:04 PM
link   
I would also assume that we would find asteroids composed of a large percentage of gold or silver or other elements as well. This is common sense considering the vast scale of the Universe and the endless differentiation that is possible.

Now think about how silly we humans are for wasting all of our resources on temporary self-indulgence and fighting pointless wars over the Earth.

We have the technology to enrich everyone, but not the will to use it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:15 PM
link   
I posted this thread a while back stating that they already have found such planets. Entirely made up of diamond. Id love to visit

Anyhow, maybe there is some more information in this thread here:www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by yourmaker

it's funny because what it's "worth" is only determined by the general consensus among us.

to me, diamond is worthless, laughter is golden. too bad for some people.

although I do marvel at it's beauty sometimes, and the thought of a planet made of it does not entirely fall short.
it's not something that should be given worth over a lot of other things that truly matter imo.

I value peace and laughter over the material myself,I find true beauty to admire in nature.

Originally posted by muzzleflash
I would also assume that we would find asteroids composed of a large percentage of gold or silver or other elements as well. This is common sense considering the vast scale of the Universe and the endless differentiation that is possible.

Now think about how silly we humans are for wasting all of our resources on temporary self-indulgence and fighting pointless wars over the Earth.

We have the technology to enrich everyone, but not the will to use it.

Agreed.
I have thought 99% have been completely pointless.especially once the blinders are off and you are able to see behind the curtain.

I believe the human race are capable of much more,we can do better than we have so far,that's for damn sure.
edit on 5-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:26 PM
link   
How long before the US decided that we should to spread "democracy" and "liberate" the planet

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:06 AM
link   
reply to post by AllUrChips

Did not see your thread,sorry about that.I see from that story they had discovered a planet and the study now suggests of many more possibly having up towards 50% diamond mantle/crust -

Geologists have long suspected that Earth's lower mantle, just above its core, contains a diamond-rich layer. However, alien planets that contain more carbon than Earth could have much more diamond content than here at home.

"Our results are striking, in that they suggest carbon-rich planets can form with a core and a mantle, just as Earth did," Panero said. "However, the cores would likely be very carbon-rich – much like steel – and the mantle would also be dominated by carbon, much in the form of diamond."

I will check out your thread! I am curious now to learn more about this.
edit on 6-12-2011 by PerfectPerception because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:29 PM
link   
I have heard of this kind of thing before - mostly about asteroids. But imagine though - the value people hold for diamonds would diminish - it would be like going to the beach and collecting shells! though I personally think it would be a good thing as then we could appreciate diamonds for their utilitarian purposes - rather than holding them as some ultimate mineral of desire - sure they look nice, but so do trees! ... of course this is assuming that they are not overly exploited to the detriment of the natural environments from which they come...
edit on 12-12-2011 by GardenerOfEden because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:17 AM
link   
Diamonds up there have no effect on the value of diamonds down here.

The cost to obtain the 'up there' diamonds far exceed the 'down here' price.

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   
reply to post by PerfectPerception

Nice find
, I remember a thread about a star found that was made of diamond. Just imagine locating a large celestial clear and pure enough to be used as a telescopic LENS. Can you imagine what could be seen

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
I'm not a scientist like the authors of that article but their scope seems very narrow. At least they did hint of the fact that carbon richer planets, colder and larger than earth would likely produce steel before diamonds being such iron may be more abundant in a hot mantle incubator of a planet. They at least are talking about other star systems so the diamond idea of exoplanets and about a dollar twenty will get you a cup of coffee at McDonalds.

Its nice to dream.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:27 AM
link   
Alien planets can be made of everything. We dont know of anything out there so anythign is possible.
This is crazy to think about. Aliens can be ANYTHING and their sources of energy can be anything as well.

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:41 AM
link   

Or private companies would.

They tried it on Pandora...

new topics

top topics

join