It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Iran Revolutionary Guard raises alert ahead of possible strike, report says

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:57 PM
link   
Iran Revolutionary Guard raises alert ahead of possible strike, report says

Western intelligence sources, speaking with U.K.'s Telegraph newspaper, say chief of military corps issues orders to disperse long-range missile batteries, heighten security.

Iran's Revolutionary Guard has raised its alertness level fearing a military strike by a foreign power, Western intelligence sources told the U.K. newspaper the Telegraph on Monday.

According to the Telegraph report, the commander of the Revolutionary Guard Mohammed Ali Jaafari issued a command to raise operational readiness, fearing what the report called "potential external strikes and covert attacks. "

Raised readiness levels, the sources indicated, included plans to disperse the country's long-range missile batteries, as well as sending artillery and guard units to "key defensive positions."

Tehran residents fear imminent strike

Closure of foreign schools in Tehran prompts fears among Iranians; 'I and all my friends have stockpiled goods at home,' local resident says.

Growing panic in Iran? International schools in Iran have shut their doors after hardline students stormed the British embassy last week, stoking ordinary Iranians' fears that foreigners are about to pull out of the Islamic Republic ahead of a US or Israeli-led attack.

"Many foreigners are leaving Iran ... I suspect that there will be military action ... we will become another Iraq," said architect Mahsa Sedri, 35. "Obviously something is going on ... otherwise the foreigners would not leave Iran."

"We are going to be attacked ... I sense it ... I am pulling out my money from the bank to have cash in hand in case of an attack," said government employee Hassan Vosughi. "I and all my friends have stockpiled goods at home."

Plausible fears or paranoia? Is this a situation of escalating tensions heading toward a Western military strike unlike any covert operations that (may have) occurred in Iran recently? Could the Middle East be heading toward a regional war?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:04 PM
link   
I feel that that was probably a huge mistake on Iran's part for showing their hand. Now that they are at readiness which means, spies and military intelligence alike have a better idea of where all the missile batteries are coming from in a better sense etc. I am hedging my bets if US/Israel attack, that they will take this opportunity to wipe out all the anti air systems beforehand.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:06 PM
link   
I'd be fearful and prepared if I was an Iranian too.

Seriously, how long do you take threats with a grain of salt for? It never hurt anyone to be alert and prepared.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:10 PM
link   
This may be wrong, but as I was reading the article this song popped in my head...

Like I said in another thread, I usually don't get all worked up and paranoid about military and political sabre rattling - but all of these incidents regarding Syria/Iran seem to be pretty serious. I hope to god that nothing happens. I don't want my daughter growing up in a worsened world.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by tesher07
I feel that that was probably a huge mistake on Iran's part for showing their hand. Now that they are at readiness which means, spies and military intelligence alike have a better idea of where all the missile batteries are coming from in a better sense etc. I am hedging my bets if US/Israel attack, that they will take this opportunity to wipe out all the anti air systems beforehand.

It really doesn't matter where they put them. If you have your arsenal bunched up it takes less resources to take out the weapons. It is a lot better to spread them out. That way it takes a lot more resources to attack and destroy them.

By the way Iran has a very sophisticated early warning systems bought from the Ukraine's in 2006. So Iran will have time to retaliate if sites are being targeted.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
Yep...thats what paranoid regimes do. Right now the US has already picked out about 10,000 NEW targets in repsonse to Iran's "moves".

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by princeofpeace
Yep...thats what paranoid regimes do. Right now the US has already picked out about 10,000 NEW targets in repsonse to Iran's "moves".

Talk about paranoid; The US is on the top of that list.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:37 PM
link   
If I was in Iran I would be nervous right now too. The western world is going to need another proper war in the coming years in an attempt to survive the economic collapse. Everything has been pointing to another global conflict for a while now and I think most are just waiting for it to kick off.

The thing is, Iran didn't help matters by staging their attack on the British embassy. The only thing we could have done in response to that was remove their embassy and bring our people home. Anything less would have appeared to be a weak response.

They clearly regretted doing that immediately after, but by then they'd already damaged relations and took everything back to a very basic level. And, of course, it also allowed the UK to pull people out with a reason, instead of acting suspiciously and leaving in the dead of night before an attack...

I only caught snippets of the report about Iran shooting down an unmanned drone, which I believe the US has now confirmed too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that drone is soon to be shared with China or Russia, meaning that one of Americas military advantages has potentially already been lost.

In my opinion, everything is pointing toward a war. With the US govt. needing to get the people behind them, the UK needing to distract its people from its own political failures, all of Europe needing to rally their people behind numerous failed regimes, Russia facing increasing political turmoil... It just seems that too many nations all need a distraction, an economic boost and increased nationalism. Nothing achieves all of that like a war.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
Ummmmmmm

Originally posted by spy66

Originally posted by princeofpeace

Talk about paranoid; The US is on the top of that list.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:24 PM
link   
Iraq or Aghanistan wars didnt do anything good for western economies yet folks spout things like: "The western world is going to need another proper war in the coming years in an attempt to survive the economic collapse"

Idiotic statements at best. Remember, Gulf War I, Gulf War II etc were also suppose to engulf the nations to world war and despite China and Russia's whimpering nothing ever happened. It wont this time either AND THAT IS IF A WORLD WAR HAPPENS WHICH IT WONT!!

Originally posted by detachedindividual
If I was in Iran I would be nervous right now too. The western world is going to need another proper war in the coming years in an attempt to survive the economic collapse. Everything has been pointing to another global conflict for a while now and I think most are just waiting for it to kick off.

The thing is, Iran didn't help matters by staging their attack on the British embassy. The only thing we could have done in response to that was remove their embassy and bring our people home. Anything less would have appeared to be a weak response.

They clearly regretted doing that immediately after, but by then they'd already damaged relations and took everything back to a very basic level. And, of course, it also allowed the UK to pull people out with a reason, instead of acting suspiciously and leaving in the dead of night before an attack...

I only caught snippets of the report about Iran shooting down an unmanned drone, which I believe the US has now confirmed too. I wouldn't be at all surprised if that drone is soon to be shared with China or Russia, meaning that one of Americas military advantages has potentially already been lost.

In my opinion, everything is pointing toward a war. With the US govt. needing to get the people behind them, the UK needing to distract its people from its own political failures, all of Europe needing to rally their people behind numerous failed regimes, Russia facing increasing political turmoil... It just seems that too many nations all need a distraction, an economic boost and increased nationalism. Nothing achieves all of that like a war.

edit on 5-12-2011 by princeofpeace because: (no reason given)

top topics

join