It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Ron Paul Defends the 99% Movement

page: 1
8
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

During a campaign stop in Concord late last month, Paul was asked for his thoughts about Occupy Wall Street. Unlike other GOP candidates who have denigrated the protestors, including Newt Gingrich and Michele Bachmann, Paul defended the movement and attacked those who used ad hominem attacks against it. “In many ways, it’s a very healthy movement,” said the Texas congressman. He went on to push back against absurd criticisms of the movement: “I’m not one to say, ‘why don’t you get a bath and go get a job and quit crybabying.’ I don’t like that at all.”


Via ThinkProgress.org

It's kind of refreshing to hear something like that from someone you don't agree with.
edit on 5-12-2011 by links234 because: My 2 cents.




posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:30 PM
link   
Oh great.
Now he is gonna start wearing Che t-shirts and pooping at the podium.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:32 PM
link   
reply to post by links234
 


You describe yourself as an American Socialist. Why are you for Ron Paul? Oil and water don't mix?

Is it possible your supporting him because you think Obama can beat him easier than the others?

Or is the term "American Socialist" below your name satire?



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
If Dr Paul is trying to break out of the shadows for the majority of the public he needs to vote for him, I can think of better ways to do it. It's crazy statements like this that have put him in the obscure position he's in. Things like this...and disbanding the FBI...or abandoning every ally we have in th world with a full withdrawal of all forces from overseas peacetime garrisons. There may be something to each of those points he's made...but the way he says it. Wow... He could suggest the most logical thing in the world, but there are days Ron Paul's method of delivery would hav the most ardent supporter of whatever the idea may be, questioning their own backing after a comment from him.


C'mon Ron..The nation needs ya. Please engage brain before mouth. The public just won't give the time of day unless the statements make sense to the MAJORITY that win an election..not the minority that make him feel loved.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Blaine91555
reply to post by links234
 


You describe yourself as an American Socialist. Why are you for Ron Paul? Oil and water don't mix?


I'm not for Ron Paul. I was doing what some of us socialists do best; sharing.


Is it possible your supporting him because you think Obama can beat him easier than the others?


I'm not supporting any particular candidate at this time. I've often considered that Huntsman would be the better candidate simply because he's far, far more reasonable than the other options I've seen. It would be a bit of a stretch but I would vote for Huntsman over Obama, depending on their plans for the next four years.


Or is the term "American Socialist" below your name satire?


I can assure you, it's not.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro
 


Just have to say this, where the hell do you get your assumptions?

Yes, a small minority that the media focused on used the streets as toilets, but now your trying to say thats what Ron is gonna do?

Just so lost with what you said.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
I think Ron Paul doesn't like Newt very much.

I look to Ron Paul to make a meteoric rise in the polls real soon.

The "GOP" machine hasn't had their chance to Steam Roll him yet.

I predict after Iowa...They will go ahead and run him over.


edit on 5-12-2011 by whyamIhere because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555
 


Did you even read the OP?

``It's kind of refreshing to hear something like that from someone you don't agree with.``

links234 isn't for Ron Paul.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint
 
He may have read it, but he is also calling out the OP and questioning his personal stance and position which is way off topic and not relevant to the thread.

I'm not surprised that Ron Paul supports a movement that is exercising it's First Amendment rights.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   
It's funny how people ridicule RP for taking a non-interventionist, anti-war, anti-bureaucratic, pro-freedom stance on the issues, but even some of his own supporters will join in on the ridicule when it comes to OWS.

RP is being consistent in his view of freedom and how the people are allowed to assert that right. Just because RP does not perpetuate the "dirty-hippies poopin' in public" rhetoric does not mean his agenda of personal rights and freedom is any less effective.

Clearly, some people need to re-evaluate precisely why they support RP, and apply that to their ideology.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:05 PM
link   
reply to post by Blaine91555
 


I happen to be a moderate socialist and support Ron Paul. Although some of our beliefs ARE diametrically opposed, I'm more on board with freedom than state-sponsored oligarchical fascism.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:06 PM
link   
reply to post by Rockdisjoint
 


To be fair, I edited the OP to add that little bit. He probably was replying as I edited the post.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by sheepslayer247
It's funny how people ridicule RP for taking a non-interventionist, anti-war, anti-bureaucratic, pro-freedom stance on the issues, but even some of his own supporters will join in on the ridicule when it comes to OWS.

RP is being consistent in his view of freedom and how the people are allowed to assert that right. Just because RP does not perpetuate the "dirty-hippies poopin' in public" rhetoric does not mean his agenda of personal rights and freedom is any less effective.

Clearly, some people need to re-evaluate precisely why they support RP, and apply that to their ideology.



Agreed. Although, I personally don't agree with much of what OWS has done/not done so far.. I think Ron Paul is in support of decent that is long over due in this country. I think he believes that Americans have the right to protest regardless of whether or not he agrees with everything they are doing/not doing. I believe he wants to restore our civil liberties by ensuring we don't get pummeled by cops for SITTING on the ground etc. Not only that, but Ron Paul has been trying to expose the 1% for ages. He just so happens to know where the real roots of the problems lie, unlike many in the OWS movement. The "dirty-hippies poopin' in public" and those who are calling for re-distribution of wealth etc are un-important.

It was a stupid move for OWS to ban "RP talk" from their "official" website. The frustration with OWS has with me has always been the fact that they just_don't_seem_to_listen to real viable solutions and they turn around and burn bridges with Paul supporters by banning any mention of his name on their website. Paul has consistently tried to support OWS. Bad move by OWS, good thing Paul is well-mannered and genuine with the issues because if it were any other candidate, they would have flushed OWS down the toilet a long time ago.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Wookiep because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:18 PM
link   
reply to post by Alxandro
 


Talk about contributing to the topic...

I don't even vote but if I still had that mindset I would vote for Ron Paul just for being the only guy on stage you don't feel like your being lied too. Every other candidate as well as the president of the LLC is just cookie cutter BS and it's hard for me to think back at how foolish I was when I voted and believed all the BS they spew consistently. This helps him greatly along with the Herman Cane exodus.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Wrabbit2000
If Dr Paul is trying to break out of the shadows for the majority of the public he needs to vote for him, I can think of better ways to do it. It's crazy statements like this that have put him in the obscure position he's in. Things like this...and disbanding the FBI...or abandoning every ally we have in th world with a full withdrawal of all forces from overseas peacetime garrisons. There may be something to each of those points he's made...but the way he says it. Wow... He could suggest the most logical thing in the world, but there are days Ron Paul's method of delivery would hav the most ardent supporter of whatever the idea may be, questioning their own backing after a comment from him.


C'mon Ron..The nation needs ya. Please engage brain before mouth. The public just won't give the time of day unless the statements make sense to the MAJORITY that win an election..not the minority that make him feel loved.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: minor correction.


He's not going to lie. He's going to live day to day with the integrity he has, and not kowtow to the GOP party line. He will always speak from the heart, and he will always speak truthfully. If it torpedoes his candidacy, then shame on America for not listening to reason.

/TOA



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:38 PM
link   
reply to post by links234
 


Of course the very liberal think tank ThinkProgress wants to think Ron Paul thinks OWS is a great thing and he's all for it. I do not read that in Ron Paul's statement. He is very careful in his wording, and he said that there is a misunderstanding about where all the unemployment comes from, and he puts it squarely on govt and not on the private sector.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:46 PM
link   
Ron Paul states:

"When spontaneous movements occur in a country, the johnny-come-latelys like to join and redirect the original intent of the Tea Party Movement and the original intent of the Occupiers, so for that reason the political people get involved and they try to grab hold of the message, and I think that’s been the case on both sides."

And who better than Mr. Paul to know about those johnny-come-latelys joining a movement to redirect it's original intent than Mr. Paul? This is exactly what happened to the Tea Party when the GOP co-opted it and turned it into a farce, and somewhat the same happened to the OWS movement, when it turned into Lollapolooza.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Blackmarketeer because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:40 PM
link   
reply to post by links234
 




Huntsman does seem to be a Moderate and reasonable. The Left and Right are most certainly out of control and it's time for the Independents to step up to the plate and fix things.

I'm sure you understood why I asked. I've actually spoken with one person who admitted what I suggested and I found it an interesting tactic. We have had real issues with Democrats running as Republicans here in Alaska that has really muddied the water. Legal to do, so I guess it is what it is. No better or worse than the other side. Me, I'm anti-partisan.

If Paul runs third party, Obama wins. He can't win the nomination as a Republican so I think whether or not he will do so is a huge story being ignored.

I'd like to ask if it bothers you that the European Model touted by most Socialists is failing so badly, but that would take this even further off topic. Sorry.

I'd agree with you on some social issues and not on others. I'm with the other side on government size and interference however. Anything a government controls they destroy and history never stops proving it over and over again. I'm left assuming true Progressives actually think it keeps failing because they were not in charge and are smarter. Lets see now, what was the word for that mental illness? Just kidding.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:58 PM
link   
Paul is more sensible and honest than a good chunk of his supporters. I may not agree with him on several issues, but I have to call it like it is. The guy gets it, and I have yet to hear or read a lie come from his person.


edit on 5-12-2011 by illuminatislave because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 12:29 AM
link   

Originally posted by The Old American
He's not going to lie. He's going to live day to day with the integrity he has, and not kowtow to the GOP party line. He will always speak from the heart, and he will always speak truthfully. If it torpedoes his candidacy, then shame on America for not listening to reason.

/TOA

Very true on that. I just wish he wouldn't put things in quite the wording he does at times. Wow can he make a sound byte to take out of context or make a bad image point from.

No question if he makes it to Missouri on a primary, let alone the National Ballot, he's got my vote. Given the lack of any talent I can stomach voting for now that Cain has been discovered (allegedly..lol) I'll probably write Ron Paul in whether he makes it to the end or not. I did in 2008, why not again.

I'm shocked he's made it this far...but it's a real good kind of surprise for a change.



new topics

top topics



 
8
<<   2 >>

log in

join