It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Psychiatrist calls for lithium to be added to water

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   

Psychiatrist calls for lithium to be added to water

www.irishtimes.com

A consultant psychiatrist last night called on Government to add lithium salts to the public water supply in a bid to lower the suicide rate and depression among the general population.

At a mental health forum on “Depression in Rural Ireland” in Ennistymon, Co Clare, Dr Moosajee Bhamjee said that “there is growing scientific evidence that adding trace amounts of the drug lithium to a water supply can lower rates of suicide and depression”.

Lithium is used by doctors as a mood stabiliser in the treatment for depression.
(visit the link for the full news article)

Related News Links:
www.irishexaminer.com

Related AboveTopSecret.com Discussion Threads:
NWO Seeks to Pacify Volatile and Conflict-Prone Northern Ireland

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
I meant to post this yesterday. Still can't believe it.

We already have them poisoning the country with fluoride as it is here. Some may say this is why we have not risen up or even had a sniff of a proper protest against the actions of our Government.

It's a slippery slope this island is on right now.

www.irishtimes.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
wow....the quack psychos...ermmm....psychiatrists are running rampant...let's hope the american government doesn't get wind of that idea...damn.....talk about mind control!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
i'm taking psychology in college atm and from what i understand, lithium in the water would be largely ineffective. it has a small window of usefulness between no effect, and toxicity. this level is different for everyone and you must keep the amount of lithium in this range or it is either dangerous or doesn't do anything.

i wonder how much is a "trace" amount.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DROKKR

I hope no one takes this idiot's advice. The sad thing is he is most likely parroting whatever the big pharma companies paid him to say. I mean really, what kind of idiots would support anti-depressants in the drinking supply. If someone is diagnosed with an illness that "requires" it then give them the pills (I'm against this kind of medication by the way).

They are always talking about this in the news in North American too, it's nothing new.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by DROKKR

I read about this in my Sunday paper.(observer)
It said exactly what you mentioned about Ireland,and it also said that this had already been done in parts of Texas USA.
Its true,and it is bad news IMO.

Get a decent water filter.
Tap water is not clean.

Do not be medicated without your consent.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bob Sholtz
i'm taking psychology in college atm and from what i understand, lithium in the water would be largely ineffective. it has a small window of usefulness between no effect, and toxicity. this level is different for everyone and you must keep the amount of lithium in this range or it is either dangerous or doesn't do anything.

i wonder how much is a "trace" amount.

I'll just take my chances without.

Depression is an individual disorder, it doesn't apply to the entire population. If someone wants to drug themselves out by getting everything advertised on primetime TV, then so be it.

Also, "Moosajee Bhamjee", really? Moosajee Bhamjee wants to poison the Ireland water supply. Moosajee Bhamjee.

"Hy, my name is Moosajee, and I want to put drugs in your water supply."
edit on 5-12-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

link   
Lithium is used to treat people that are bi-polar and the mania it can cause

Side effects
restlessness

fine hand movements that are difficult to control

loss of appetite

stomach pain or bloating

gas

indigestion

weight gain or loss

dry mouth

excessive saliva in the mouth

tongue pain

change in the ability to taste food

swollen lips

acne

hair loss

unusual discomfort in cold temperatures

constipation

depression

joint or muscle pain

thin, brittle fingernails or hair

Some side effects may be serious. If you experience any of the following symptoms, call your doctor immediately:

tiredness

shaking of a part of your body that you cannot control

muscle weakness, stiffness, twitching, or tightness

loss of coordination

diarrhea

vomiting

excessive thirst

frequent urination

giddiness

ringing in the ears

slow, jerky movements

movements that are unusual or difficult to control

blackouts

seizures

slurred speech

fast, slow, irregular, or pounding heartbeat

chest tightness

confusion

hallucinations (seeing things or hearing voices that do not exist)

crossed eyes

painful, cold, or discolored fingers and toes

headache

pounding noises inside the head

changes in vision

paleness

itching

rash

swelling of the eyes, face, lips, tongue, throat, hands, feet, ankles, or lower legs

Drink up

edit on 5-12-2011 by mileslong54 because: (no reason given)

link   
Yey. Disregard whole bunch of nasty side effects. It will decrease rate of suicides. All for the good cause. The fact that it can cause problems in newborns and raise weight in populations that are overweight allready is irrelevant.
Good call. Yes.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:01 PM
link   
Stories like this make me very happy I have a well! I wonder how much he was paid to make that recommendation?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Waiting on Fluoride proponents to chime in "trace amounts blah blah blah". This quack (suitable name now) needs to go on his own meds.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Why can't water just be water? Do we really need more metals in our water? Fluoridation not enough, now lets drug people too, make em' stupid and now complacent.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:04 PM
link   
Let the DOC put whatever in his or her own water smh. Its the world issues bringing down the masses causing depression. So instead of solutions to fix the world the doc says drug em.... RIGHT

edit on 12/5/11 by Ophiuchus 13 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:15 PM
link   
I am very weary to hear this

like the OP states they are allready flouridating our water which many states are trying to get signatures from citizens to stop, most recently arizona and Austin Tx. Well known dentist have allready proven that there is no benifit to our teeth by ingesting flouride into our system. in fact it does more harm than good. flouride is also the active ingredient in prozac,rat poison and strangely enough nuclear bombs. to add another anti depressant into our supply is abuse. We dont need medicated water and the real underlying reason flouride was added to our water because it is a byproduct of the phospherous industry. Their smoke stacks were polluting local streams and killing cattle. It was expensive disposing of the biohazardous material , but if they turned it into a product it would no longer be a expensive chemical to get rid of but a profit.
not to get off topic but being a astute study of flouride and its history, I am assuming there are underlying factors (with profit in mind) that lithium is being added to future water supplies
edit on 5-12-2011 by Foxy1 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2011 by Foxy1 because: bad link

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
anyone that wants to put anything in the water supply, needs to have their head examined....i wonder what that quack has been smoking? did he take too many hits off his crack pipe?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:21 PM
link   
Old news.

I teeeenk it's already in da water.
(See how upbeat and HAPPY I am about this?)

www.ncbi.nlm.nih.gov...

Biol Trace Elem Res. 1990 May;25(2):105-13.
Lithium in drinking water and the incidences of crimes, suicides, and arrests related to drug addictions.
Schrauzer GN, Shrestha KP.
SourceDepartment of Chemistry and Biochemistry, University of California at San Diego, Revelle College, La Jolla 92093.

Abstract
Using data for 27 Texas counties from 1978-1987, it is shown that the incidence rates of suicide, homicide, and rape are significantly higher in counties whose drinking water supplies contain little or no lithium than in counties with water lithium levels ranging from 70-170 micrograms/L; the differences remain statistically significant (p less than 0.01) after corrections for population density. The corresponding associations with the incidence rates of robbery, burglary, and theft were statistically significant with p less than 0.05. These results suggest that lithium has moderating effects on suicidal and violent criminal behavior at levels that may be encountered in municipal water supplies. Comparisons of drinking water lithium levels, in the respective Texas counties, with the incidences of arrests for possession of opium, coc aine, and their derivatives (morphine, heroin, and codeine) from 1981-1986 also produced statistically significant inverse associations, whereas no significant or consistent associations were observed with the reported arrest rates for possession of marijuana, driving under the influence of alcohol, and drunkenness. These results suggest that lithium at low dosage levels has a generally beneficial effect on human behavior, which may be associated with the functions of lithium as a nutritionally-essential trace element. Subject to confirmation by controlled experiments with high-risk populations, increasing the human lithium intakes by supplementation, or the lithiation of drinking water is suggested as a possible means of crime, suicide, and drug-dependency reduction at the individual and community level.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   
What is also strange is all the talk of overpopulation; but they want less suicide. they have to have other motives putting this stuff in our water and it all boils down to profit.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:27 PM
link   
bottom line: dumping anything into the water supply....whether it's supposed to be "good" for us, or not...should be considered chemical warfare...might sound a bit extreme to some...but think about it....who knows what all the government, and big corporations are already dumping into the water supply...is bottled water even remotely safe from all of this?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:28 PM
link   
Maybe they should throw in some Xanax, better yet, how about gamma-hydroxybutyric acid (GHB), make us a little less resistant to getting f*#@*d by our leaders.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   

Originally posted by chiefsmom
Stories like this make me very happy I have a well! I wonder how much he was paid to make that recommendation?

Edgar casey was believed to be more in tune with his psychic abilities because he grew up on a farm off well water. Flouride calcifies the pineal gland, which popular science had herald "The pineal gland could possibly be the seat of the soul". The pineal gland is a small gland centered in the brain just about the middle of your forehead and is often reffered to the 3rd eye. It regulates melatonin and also dmt which is responsible for our dreams. Its shaped like a pinecone and been depicted all the way to ancient egypts as a pine cone often adorning the tops of staffs. In fact the most prominent and largest statue in the vatican garden is a large pinecone placed in the center of the garden grounds. But we werent talking about that where we *embarrased blush*

edit on 5-12-2011 by Foxy1 because: because my spelling is awesome

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join