It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Telescope Confirms Alien Planet in Habitable Zone

page: 4
<< 1  2  3   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
Very cool, but that SETI comment is similarly very odd.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:06 AM
link   
I saw this on the news and got all fuzzy inside. I've been hoping my whole life that a planet is found in just the right spot. Even if at least it just gives this world a common goal to go and check it out.

Now if only the other one zillion other things that have to come into play to make it a habitable planet have come into play.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:09 AM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Originally posted by rationalistswagger
Space program isn't going anywhere fast, so until they build faster vehicles.. I don't care.

So you wouldn't care if they found a planet with some form of life on it, all because we can't reach it with our current technology? That's funny to me..

-SAP-

Agreed.Mind you if it ights a fire under thier backsides it's amazing how fast things can develope.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

Woudnt be suprised of the 2 others had life and if mars stil has

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 06:08 AM
link   

Originally posted by nv4711

Originally posted by wingsfan
without some sort of relay/s, wouldn't any attempt from SETI to receive a message be futile?

Umm... No. They now even have the advantage of knowing where to look... The only thing is that SETI works on the assumption that a) another civilization actually uses radio waves to communicate and b) they will transmit in the 1.420 GHz spectrum.

The problem is if a transmission was sent let's say 700 years ago, we already missed it, if it was sent 400 years ago, we'l have to wait another 200 years to receive it.
That's what makes the SETI statement so odd, as if they knew something is "on the way"... or as if they already received something but didn't tell anyone (at least the public) yet...
That SETI was shut down because of lack of funding since June and just only recently restarted because they got fresh money I suppose is just a coincidence.... or is it?
edit on 5-12-2011 by nv4711 because: (no reason given)

My 'spiracy senses are tingling!
edit on 6-12-2011 by theshepherd2 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 07:05 AM
link   
reply to post by Atzil321

This has to be the greatest discovery in the history of astronomy in my opinion. Can any of you think of a more important discovery than this? I sure as hell can't.

When we discovered that we're not the centre of the universe maybe?

Otherwise very cool news.

Although it makes me think. Why would I believe a word that comes out of an agency with ties to nazi war criminals?

I donno.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 09:06 AM
link   
What SETI comment are you guys referring to?

I read the article and nothing jumped out at me. Other than the fact that Kepler's funding runs out next year???? I thought this was much more long term project and was supposed to replace Hubble?

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

The Register Headline today:

US military pays SETI to check Kepler-22b for aliens

Link to Article

At least we now know where the sudden funding came from.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 10:33 AM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

Ah.

Great, now they have their fingers in SETI. Something tells me whatever remote chance we had of detecting a signal and having them annouce it, just went from extremely slim to none.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 11:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
reply to post by nv4711

Ah.

Great, now they have their fingers in SETI. Something tells me whatever remote chance we had of detecting a signal and having them annouce it, just went from extremely slim to none.

Yeah... I guess the Air Force is now on top of the speed dial list....

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:37 PM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

worst scenario that can happen to SETI...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by nv4711

worst scenario that can happen to SETI...

The worst that could happen to SETI has already taken place.

It was allowed to survive.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:03 AM
link   
reply to post by LiveToSpendIt

What is that supposed to imply?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 10:57 AM
link   

Originally posted by dtrock78
reply to post by LiveToSpendIt

What is that supposed to imply?

It implies nothing.

It states unequivocally that if your POV is that extra terrestrials, DNA altered humans (by aliens with alien traits) and the massive anomalies known as UFO/USO, orbotic lights and similar "things of space" are among us - this POV coming from the straight-line extrapolation of data which is embraced by the Dolans, Farrells and P. D. Scotts of the academic and scientific world - then WTF are we doing wasting our time shooting radio beams way out there?

Spend SETI money on Mars exploration, if anything.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:28 PM
link   
We're not shooting beams into space from SETI, we are looking for beams from space.

And SETI is privately funded for the most part, while the NASA missions to Mars are not. No sense in putting all of our eggs into one basket in terms of space exploration.

It would be like only teaching the 15th century in history classes.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:16 PM
link   
While this is very exciting news it definitely isn't a first. There's been quite a few planets found in or around their stars habitable zone. I take it a few people didn't review the article.

"Of the total 2,326 candidate planets that Kepler has found to date, 207 are approximately Earth-size. More of them, 680, are a bit larger than our planet, falling into the "super-Earth" category. The total number of candidate planets in the habitable zones of their stars is now 48."

Gliese 581 is a lot closer, 20 light years, and Gliese 370, 36 light years.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:54 PM
link   
reply to post by dtrock78

www.bidstrup.com...

Go to Mars, out priorities, regardless of where the $$$ come from, are all screwed up.

top topics

<< 1  2  3   >>

join