It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Telescope Confirms Alien Planet in Habitable Zone

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:32 PM
link   
reply to post by Aim64C

I agree with you, if you look at the harsh condition's that life can endure here on earth, I do think the universe is teeming with life, Heck I even think our solar system is full of life as well, hopefully we will discover life or signs of past life with the new MSL Rover and then more money will be generated to search for more on other Moons/planets in our solar system.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by fuzzy0087
The only problem is, being 600 light years away its even farther than Geliese 581g or whatever its called at only 20 light years away. Still unreachable at our current level of technology but I would attempt the closer one first when we do get to that level.

That may not be a problem, for example if SETI picks up a extraterrestrial signal from an advanced civilization that has been decoded for broadcast communication among the stars. This would give us a giant leap in technology. There could be a huge host of stars communicating right now sending out many advanved scientific instructions.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by nv4711

I wonder of SETI does hear something, if the US government will allow them to release that information to the public.

I guess it depends of whether or not SETI follows it's detection procedure. Before they go anywhere, they confirm the transmission with many other radio telescope sites around the world. So even if the US Gov wouldn't want to publish it, other people already know... but again, that's provided they follow this procedure...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   
reply to post by imitator

Or, they could be like us, and broadcast nothing but trash like "Real Housewives" and "Meet the Khardashians"

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Space program isn't going anywhere fast, so until they build faster vehicles.. I don't care.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:53 PM
link   

Originally posted by rationalistswagger
Space program isn't going anywhere fast, so until they build faster vehicles.. I don't care.

So you wouldn't care if they found a planet with some form of life on it, all because we can't reach it with our current technology? That's funny to me..

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   
without some sort of relay/s, wouldn't any attempt from SETI to receive a message be futile?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:22 PM
link   

Originally posted by wingsfan
without some sort of relay/s, wouldn't any attempt from SETI to receive a message be futile?

Umm... No. They now even have the advantage of knowing where to look... The only thing is that SETI works on the assumption that a) another civilization actually uses radio waves to communicate and b) they will transmit in the 1.420 GHz spectrum.

The problem is if a transmission was sent let's say 700 years ago, we already missed it, if it was sent 400 years ago, we'l have to wait another 200 years to receive it.
That's what makes the SETI statement so odd, as if they knew something is "on the way"... or as if they already received something but didn't tell anyone (at least the public) yet...
That SETI was shut down because of lack of funding since June and just only recently restarted because they got fresh money I suppose is just a coincidence.... or is it?
edit on 5-12-2011 by nv4711 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   
I love hearing the new planets we are finding now. Life is funny, it has a way of springing up just about anywhere, at least on earth it does. Even in the most extreme conditions, we find microbial and sometime other life. Or just like those silly little bear creatures that can survive space. I'm sure when we are no longer chained to this planet we will look back on how silly our "we need water for life, we need carbon for life, we need nitrogen for life" theories were.

I'm sure when our governments are no longer hog wash, our space agencies are public and people start going to other planets, we will come to realize how naive we were to think that the conditions here on Earth that facilitate life, would be needed on other planets to facilitate life.

The universe has a weird way of building life, whether you like that or not, its the truth. It can been seen in the creation of stars and planets. Matter is always being pulled together through gravity, and its only a matter of time before life is pushed together. All we are is chemicals, all those chemicals that form us naturally, reside in the universe. So logically speaking, there is other life among the stars. Its a matter of time when we find life, not if we do.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:41 PM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

but don't all known transmissions tend to fizzle out once they near the outter reaches of our solar system? 600 light years is quite a distance for the signal to stay together.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   

reply to post by nv4711

but don't all known transmissions tend to fizzle out once they near the outter reaches of our solar system? 600 light years is quite a distance for the signal to stay together.

Yeah I heard this too, isnt it to do with the radio waves that the universe gives out? and it all gets muddled up?
Maybe they are using a different communication system like light?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:48 PM
link   

reply to post by nv4711

I would agree here. 600 years in space is not all that long, but thinking Earth time, thats is way long for it to stay together. At least too long for us to be able to understand it after that long.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:49 PM
link   

reply to post by nv4711

Yes, sure, and I'm not a radio astronomer and therefore no expert. I know that the discussions usually revolve around whether or not our TV and radio broadcast signals could ever make it far enough to be received by an alien species. These signals are pretty weak and will most likely dissipate in space.

I know that in 1974, the Arecibo radio telescope sent a message to the M13 globular cluster which is some 25,000 light years away. Apparently those scientists believe that their signal and wavelength was strong enough to make it there - so 600 ly shouldn't be that much of a problem.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:51 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
reply to post by nv4711

I agree, it is an odd remark, but then again, what do we know about what kind of technology SETI REALLY has just lying around. Time will tell.

Even if SETI had FTL communication ability, it doesn't mean those on the other end do. So if they are using regular broadcast signals, then they obviously have to adhere to the SOL, in which case, it's a 600 year wait. In this case, let's presume SETI are using regular old technology. What are the chances that they turn it towards this place & just happen to tune in to the correct frequency/wavelength allowing them to pickup messages/communications/signals from 600 years ago are remote to say the least.

Even throwing out all logic out the window & say they picked something up. It will take 600 years for any reply to reach them & a further 600 years for their reply to reach us. 1200 years for a "Hi, how are you doing?".

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
reply to post by big_BHOY

Hopefully any signal we get will teach us how to send one back with ftl tech.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Thread Police wannbe? I have seen on a few topics now you posted "Thread allready posted" What do you acomplish by stating this other than looking like a busy body type?
edit on 5-12-2011 by proob4 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by big_BHOY

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
reply to post by nv4711

I agree, it is an odd remark, but then again, what do we know about what kind of technology SETI REALLY has just lying around. Time will tell.

Even if SETI had FTL communication ability, it doesn't mean those on the other end do. So if they are using regular broadcast signals, then they obviously have to adhere to the SOL, in which case, it's a 600 year wait. In this case, let's presume SETI are using regular old technology. What are the chances that they turn it towards this place & just happen to tune in to the correct frequency/wavelength allowing them to pickup messages/communications/signals from 600 years ago are remote to say the least.

Even throwing out all logic out the window & say they picked something up. It will take 600 years for any reply to reach them & a further 600 years for their reply to reach us. 1200 years for a "Hi, how are you doing?".

Yes, sure, that's all true. The point of course is not getting into a back and forth conversation, at least not with our current equipment. It is more about receiving a message and have confirmation of intelligent alien life.

The receiving part is only the first step anyways - it might take years, maybe even decades to decode and understand the message. But even undecoded, we will be able to identify an artificial signal and just by that know something's out there - and where. And this undoubtedly will be the biggest news in human history ( except for Cubs win World Series :-)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:21 PM
link   
people worry that the seti messages and radio and television broadcasts will attract hostile aliens to earth.

but nasa is close to finding earth like planets without picking up alien radio waves.

they said it's 600 light years away.

earth needs warp drive fast, instead we are killing ourselves for fossil fuels, which in the future will look as primitive to humans and as a horse drawn chariot looks to us now.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:21 PM
link   
While I am excited about this new find, I am so tired of scientist making the claim that a planet has to be in the "Goldie locks" zone in order to be habital.

WE feel that WE are in the "Goldie locks Zone" because WE live here....

I am certain that the inhabitants of Venus feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too cold.

I am certain that the inhabitants of Neptune feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too hot.

We will never progress as a society and expand our knowledge and acceptance of the universe as long as we remain undoubtedly ARROGANT= "Life can only exist where it has what WE have...blah blah blah".

Arrogant and Ignorant

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by ButterCookie
While I am excited about this new find, I am so tired of scientist making the claim that a planet has to be in the "Goldie locks" zone in order to be habital.

WE feel that WE are in the "Goldie locks Zone" because WE live here....

I am certain that the inhabitants of Venus feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too cold.

I am certain that the inhabitants of Neptune feel that THEY are in the Goldie Locks Zone because THEY live there...
Earth could be viewed as too hot.

We will never progress as a society and expand our knowledge and acceptance of the universe as long as we remain undoubtedly ARROGANT= "Life can only exist where it has what WE have...blah blah blah".

Arrogant and Ignorant

Relax - the main mission of Kepler is finding planets and the secondary mission is to find Earth like planets... therefore an Earth like planet has to be in the Goldilocks zone....

and I'm not so sure about the "inhabitants" of Venus or Neptune "feeling" aka "thinking" anything...

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join