It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA Telescope Confirms Alien Planet in Habitable Zone

page: 2
<< 1    3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:49 PM
link   
reply to post by n00bUK

Nope I just want everyone to put there comments in one place, it is better and more convenient for us all to have One topic in one place, not one topic in two places.
Is it so hard to use the search function?
edit on 5-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:53 PM
link   
hm,..So if there's Oxygen there and liquid water then we could possibly have a new potential home,...just got to crack interstellar travel i guess to get there. I don't see Earth lasting out much longer.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Dude stop whining. I cant stand people like you who try to close an open topic because its been posted. Are you trying to direct them to your post or a friends post?

This is one of the most important discoveries in space exploration in the past decade. The more people who know about it the better. Also in includes information on The SETI project that suspended operations this summer.

Go to the other threads if you have nothing important to say and let us continue our conversation.

edit on 5-12-2011 by CountDrac because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by GoldenObserver
I see that in the post you have the addition of the comment about catching signals soon if there are any. This is a wonderful wonderful discovery, but I jus't can't help but think that this would be the BEST possible route to take for disclosure, if it's ever to happen. I mean, first they announce a habitable planet, adding to that, that if any signals are sent, that they will be found soon, then comes the confirmation of the signal being received. I doubt that this is how it will play out, but seems like the best time FOR it to play out like that.

Kepler 22b is 600 ly away... so, those Keplerians better did sent a message around 600 years ago for us to receive it soon... A somewhat odd remark by SETI...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

Regarding duplicates:
ATS allows one thread in a Breaking News forum and one thread in a regular forum.

STAY ON TOPIC

Further off topic posts will be removed.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:02 PM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

I wonder of SETI does hear something, if the US government will allow them to release that information to the public.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:08 PM
link   
reply to post by boymonkey74

Originally posted by boymonkey74
reply to post by n00bUK

Nope I just want everyone to put there comments in one place, it is better and more convenient for us all to have One topic in one place, not one topic in two places.
Is it so hard to use the search function?
edit on 5-12-2011 by boymonkey74 because: (no reason given)

why do feel the need to repeat yourself three times? you got your point across in the your first post if you dont like this thread go to other one. no need to fill this thread with your comments on the "search function" ..lmao
oh wait....i did it too lol.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by CountDrac

Same question I asked. I wonder how long it will take for the U.S govn't to announce it. I bet it won't happen quickly.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   
reply to post by SloAnPainful

isn't SETI privately funded?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by VikingDude

600 Light Years away is what the report said.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:12 PM
link   
reply to post by paradiselost333

lol ok just trying to bring all the posts together, but back to the OP

One thing though this, if we do get a signal from this planet, it's gonna take us 600 years to send a message back.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
reply to post by nv4711

I agree, it is an odd remark, but then again, what do we know about what kind of technology SETI REALLY has just lying around. Time will tell.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:14 PM
link   
The only problem is, being 600 light years away its even farther than Geliese 581g or whatever its called at only 20 light years away. Still unreachable at our current level of technology but I would attempt the closer one first when we do get to that level.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I'm of the opinion that we will find life just about everywhere we dare to look. Life... is just a weird thing. There are forms of it that live off of gamma radiation, for crying out loud.

I think we'll find that life is more of an inherent property of the universe than we give it credit for.

But, that's what I think.

We'll likely find planets in other areas that are quite habitable despite their lack of being in the "habitable zone." Thicker atmospheres will absorb more light - different gasses will absorb different spectra from the emitting stars (as well as the surface material of the planet and/or its life forms), rocky planets may contain large amounts of uranium and thorium, like our own, and generate large amounts of internal heat because of it (our planet would be much colder were it not for this and tidal heating).

There are many other factors out there to consider - but I do cede that this is one of the only methods we have available, at this point in time.

That said... it would be interesting to calculate the surface gravity of this planet once we get some more definite measurements. With nearly two and a half times the radius, there should be a considerable amount of mass on that planet, and a cubic increase in the amount of mass (although surface gravity is largely dependent upon the density of the planet and not the total amount of mass) - presuming it is rocky and of the same materials as our own.

Calculate how angular velocity at the equator would offset this... and large rocky planets might prove quite interesting, from a physics standpoint.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by CountDrac
reply to post by SloAnPainful

isn't SETI privately funded?

Yeah it is. It, by technical standards, is a private company, but I don't think that would stop the U.S govn't from saying something like "Before publically releasing any information you must first let us verify the souce". Basically saying that they want to monitor it at a more extensive level then SETI, so they can do whatever it is they can do with the said signal or discovery of said ET, EBE whatever it is. Just a thought though.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:17 PM
link   
I wonder if we get get to name it? Heck lets sell the naming rights to the planet to use the money to get us there.
I can't wait for the next Gen Space Telescope and maybe we can get a Hi-Def Photo of it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:20 PM
link   

I wonder if we get get to name it? Heck lets sell the naming rights to the planet to use the money to get us there.
I can't wait for the next Gen Space Telescope and maybe we can get a Hi-Def Photo of it.

Thats actually not a bad idea, except that fact we would need a lot more planets to generate that kind of revenue.

-SAP-

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   
You know what would stink if we actually did pick up a signal from one of these stars? Knowing that in our lifetime, we'd likely never be able to reach the planet or even communicate with them. THAT would be the ultimate irony, making "contact" yet not being able to do anything about it.

Certainly NASA and other country's space programs would explode in terms of budget and R&D, but I dont think that would do us any good.

If you guys are interested in these topics, and appreciate good science fiction, I recommend reading Isaac Asimov's "Foundation Trilogy". It's a series of books set millions of years into the future; Mankind has spread across the entire universe.

Another good series is C.S. Lewis' Space Trilogy, concerning mankind's first trip to the neighboring planets. Great reading if you like science fiction and were always fascinated with space exploration.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by SloAnPainful

Thats actually not a bad idea, except that fact we would need a lot more planets to generate that kind of revenue.

-SAP-

We are finding them all the time, I wouldnt want to visit Planet Toilet Duck though

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3  4 >>

join