It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Another Earth is Found....

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   
The planet lies about 15% closer to its star than the Earth is to the Sun Continue reading the main story
Related Stories
Most liveable alien worlds ranked
Hunt closes in on 'another Earth'
Strangely silent star system seen
Astronomers have confirmed the existence of an Earth-like planet in the "habitable zone" around a star not unlike our own

www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Ah, Pandora!

That didn't take long. In all seriousness, nice post man! I wonder how long we must wait until stargates or some other form of travel is unveiled.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
This is getting really exciting! More and more info on planets like Earth are coming out. We will find a new Earth that will sustain life within the next 2 years (Announced to the public of course for the first time). This will hopefully keep NASA and other space institutions alive and thriving for us to continue to expand our knowledge of space and exploration. Good find!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
NASA's Kepler Confirms its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star
Jepic started this topic 3 hours ago
www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:33 PM
link   
Its great that they are confirming what everybody sort of knew anyway, that earth is not unique.

I am sure we will find thousands of earth like planets, which most will probably support some kind of life,
But we won't be told, not yet.

Maybe we should be concentrating on developing the technology to actually travel to some of these planets, in less than a lifetime.

Wait a minute, that already exists..........

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
This is greqat news, thanks for the heads up.

These kind of discoveries are very exciting to me, it's only time now......Hopefully it's not filled with evil praying mantis aliens though, that could be a bummer

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:39 PM
link   
Thanks for sharing this! In a world with precious little to feel really inspired by and let imaginations run in a positive direction for, this story sure does it. I know that's a rendering, not a direct observation of our little friend out there, but it's so easy to let my mind wander just a moment to imagine lives being led down beneath that atmosphere and a whole different civilization going about whatever business a radically alien civilization would be going about.

I'm also sitting here imagining some other being of whatever form life would take there, proudly going to it's public and declaring they've located a planet just like theirs! It's only about 15% further away from it's sun than their planet is and all other indications would seem to show it can support life, just like their world. Yes indeed... It's fun to let the mind wander a bit....and imagine another civilization making just this announcement about finding us and Earth. Perhaps such a thing has already been done on that Planet right there.

Our future generations have a truly exciting future to go into...if we can just get through this rough patch right now.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:02 PM
link   
I wonder how long it will take for NASA …err…the US to;

- determine they need “advisors” to assess human rights
- lend them money to “encourage” them to join the IMF
- “allow” them to repay debt using their sovereign natural resources
- force them to join OPEC
- force them to join the Central Bank
- determine that terrorists are establishing camps there
- determine their leaders are harboring terrorists
- determine they need regime change
- send NATO troops to support rebels fighting the terrorist regime
- Bomb the crap out of them for human rights violations against their own protesters
- commit US troops to invade them (without congressional approval) to support a “NATO defined” mission
- destabilize them after regime change
- install a new US friendly regime
- establish permanent US bases

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:25 PM
link   
reply to post by Soapusmaximus

Maybe we should be concentrating on developing the technology to actually travel to some of these planets, in less than a lifetime.

Wait a minute, that already exists..........

No it doesn't. Not even close.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:37 PM
link   
There will never be another Earth. Never. They found a planet that might be under relatively similar physical conditions and have liquid water. Wow.
This relative similarity of relatively similar physical conditions are unknown ,but i assure you that gravity will be noticeably different. Pretty important stuff ,isn't it. Temperatures might be(for certain actually) different. Geology may be(for certain,actually) different. Atmosphere - if it has one at all - will be different.
But if you consider this relatively similar - then yes, "another Earth".

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:03 PM
link   

ATTENTION!!!!!

Regarding duplicates:
ATS allows one thread in a Breaking News forum and one thread in a regular forum.

STAY ON TOPIC

Further off topic posts will be removed.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:55 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeroKnowledge

You sounded a bit like Ian Paisley there Zero
never, never. All it takes is a system to be calculably the same as our own, and Bob's your uncle. Agreed there is not much info so far, but that takes a while, and the first next thing they will look at is how hot is the planet, (they can do that) and perhaps the kind of atmosphere. They will want to measure the mass of course. Anyway we don't have all that much info on that Beeb link really, other than this planet appears to be bigger than Earth. Just to add, it appears to lie about halfway the distance, between Earth's and Venus's distances from our sun, looking at the BBC gif.

Some more info,

en.wikipedia.org...
edit on 5-12-2011 by smurfy because: Link.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:55 PM
link   
The Nemesis/Ibykus Principle...

Mankind has no such fixed carrying capacity. Imagine the absurdity of someone from the past, from the days of wood burning, running around like a nut screaming, "We're gonna run out of trees! We're gonna run out of trees!" Compare such ravings to your modern environmentalists (who could care less about new discovered pandora worlds).

Imagine that you were to travel back in times to the Middle Ages, and tried to explain to the people you met, the process of splitting an atom (atomic power or greater is needed to travel to a planet). How long would it take them to declare you a witch and burn you alive? Reflect on what is possible in terms of technology, by thinking of those potentialities which the smartest men of our age could nto possibly comprehend yet, as the relation of the medieval mind to nuclear power. *Nuclear power or anti-matter would be needed for star travel (yet the common thinking in science now forbids mankind moving past the great power of coal and oil).
edit on 5-12-2011 by MarkScheppy because: add

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by EvanJP
Ah, Pandora!

That didn't take long. In all seriousness, nice post man! I wonder how long we must wait until stargates or some other form of travel is unveiled.

Not to get off topic but if that was a Pandorum reference, good show, sir...good show.

Anyway this information is really neat. I hope that we as humans will someday be able to travel to this planet.

top topics

join