It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

46.3 million Americans on food stamps for first time ever

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
Over 46 Million Americans On Foodstamps For The First Time Ever

Since the start of the Second Great Depression, food stamp participation has increased by 18.7 million, and is now at an all time higher 46.3 million.

That's probably good for 200-300 points rally on the DOW...

I'm sure JPMorgan is thrilled.

J.P. Morgan's Food Stamp Business

BTW, that's 15% of the total US population... or 150% of Canada's population of food stamps... that's a hell lot of people.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Vitchilo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:38 PM
link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

JP Morgon... to profit off the misery of man.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:15 PM
link   
Then you have those who are inclined to defraud the system,and make some money on it also.

Kansas City, Mo. — State auditors trying to weed out food-stamp fraud believe more than 7,000 people in Kansas may be getting benefits to which they aren’t entitled and costing taxpayers as much as $22 million a year, the state’s top social services official said Wednesday.

Food stamp fraud may be costing state $22M a year

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:17 PM
link   

While 46.3 million Americans are living on the government dole and suffering through this terrible economy, others are prospering from their misfortune.

What is the POTUS doing about it you ask??

What in the world is Barack Obama thinking? The United States of America is falling apart all around him, and yet he decides to take a 17 day Hawaiian vacation. Does he even understand that he is the leader of the free world? Does he even understand that this country is mired in the worst economic downturn since the Great Depression? Last year, a similar Hawaiian vacation by the Obamas ending up costing more than 1 million dollars. Other than when I was in school, I don't remember ever taking a 17 day vacation. In fact, most Americans do not even get 17 vacation days for an entire year. Yet the Obamas seem to think that part of occupying the White House is to take as many vacations as possible. It has been reported that Michelle Obama spent over 10 million dollars of U.S. taxpayer money on vacations during just one recent 12 month period alone.
link

link   
I hardly know to react, it is a sad moment in time.
And now Winter is coming!
I wish all the ones affected by this strength, luck and wisdom.

link   
reply to post by sonnny1

Fraud certainly exists. Let's say fraud accounts for 1-2%... there's still 45 million on food stamps.

And let's mention also all those who would need food stamps but can't get them (homeless people, people living in ``tent cities`` (not OWS))... and you are back up to 46 million easy.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:19 PM
link   
Well that is good news...people out of work and poor are not starving...food stamps and welfare are two different things...and as long as people need to eat and don't have the money...I say give them food stamps!

I personally have never needed assistance from the state or government...but if I did...why would I not take it!

Hooray I say...our government is supporting it's own people instead of spending millions abroad!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:20 PM
link   

Agree.

I feel for those in need.

But it doesn't change the fact that the system is flawed,and Government is also.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:06 PM
link   
To the delight of our keepers, food stamps [delivered via US Mail] obscure the economic reality.

Imagine the psychological impact of watching 46.3 million Americans queuing-up daily at government sponsored soup kitchens - like in the 1930s.

This is definitely a depression folks - some aspects are simply hidden

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:20 PM
link   
There are two different ways to look at this situation.

1. It's sad that people need food stamps. The economy is floundering and there is no reason other than pure negligence that our system is failing.

2. Food stamps can act as an economic booster shot! The poor and middle class (AKA: the real tax-payers) will surely spend 100% of that money and inject it into their local economies.

Sure JP Morgan makes money off of it, but it's better than giving billions to the wealthy exclusively and having them sit on the cash. Many claim they wont hire workers until Obama is out of office and there is some "certainty" back into the job market. Food stamps act as a much better stimulus.

Food stamps will be spent, go into the economy, help those in need, and will provide REAL incentive for local business' to hire when they can no longer meet demand with their current workforce.

So it is sad that it has come to this, but at least the right people are getting the money. Remember....a rising tide floats all boats! If it rains from above, only those on high are guaranteed to get wet. (Trickle-down reference)

Actually, I authored a thread about this issue. Link

edit on 5-12-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

edit on 5-12-2011 by sheepslayer247 because: (no reason given)

join