It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Owners of Zuccotti Park owe $139,000 in back taxes

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:02 PM
link   

New York City says it has spent over $13 million on Occupy Wall Street protests, but the owners of Zuccotti Park can’t seem to scrape up the $139,000 in back taxes they owe the city.

Brookfield, however, said they actually owed nothing and blamed the tax bill on a mistake by the city.

“We believe that we have paid all taxes due to the City of New York,” company spokeswoman Melissa Coley insisted. “We are in discussion with the city’s Department of Finance, and we anticipate that this error will be resolved very shortly with Brookfield owing no additional funds.” Source

to all those who say protesting will achieve nothing your dead WRONG!

without OWS I don't think these past due taxes would have ever been noticed, I would like to know how long the city has ignored this, with over 149million owed by 40.000 different entities in NY this is hardly an oversight, this is corruption and its finally being exposed.
edit on 12/5/2011 by -W1LL because: source

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Weren't the owners of the park supporting the OWS? I wouldn't be surprised if they are in fact up to date on their taxes and this "mistake" is just a retaliation.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

And how does paying back taxes mean OWS achieved something? If anything it confirms the belief that OWS just wants for rich people to pay for everything so that OWS does not have to. It actually would have been way smarter for OWS to volunteer to pay the back taxes.
edit on 5-12-2011 by PrimalRed because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

Originally posted by -W1LL

without OWS I don't think these past due taxes would have ever been noticed, I would like to know how long the city has ignored this, with over 149million owed by 40.000 different entities in NY this is hardly an oversight, this is corruption and its finally being exposed.

Guess the park is getting set-up to be get "occupied" again. This time by the city....

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by PrimalRed
reply to post by -W1LL

And how does paying back taxes mean OWS achieved something? If anything it confirms the belief that OWS just wants for rich people to pay for everything so that OWS does not have to. It actually would have been way smarter for OWS to volunteer to pay the back taxes.

they achieved the FACT that now the public knows how big business who they are protesting owns and control our Gov. they are getting away with not paying taxes for 4 years...

how does this confirm YOUR belief that OWS just wants for rich people to pay for everything...?
Brookfield Properties owns the property they are responsible for paying the taxes just like EVERY land owning tax paying citizen.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:28 PM
link   
Only $139,000 owed and the authorities hue and cry?

How about the TRILLIONS owed by the non tax paying elites in the country over the years? Not a word from them for sure. So much for the efficiency of authorities' bean counters.

Will the IRS accept cheque or prefer cash for $139,000? I PERSONALLY will pay up for the park if those son of bitches elites pay back in FULL what they truly owed to the treasury.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:33 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

they achieved the FACT

They achieved "the FACT"? lol

how does this confirm YOUR belief that OWS just wants for rich people to pay for everything...?

Because they can crap all over the park, ruin it, cry about how they have the right to do those things but when the bill comes its the cities responsibility to clean it up and the park belongs to Brookfield Properties.So OWS wants everyone else to pay and they want to reap the rewards.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
Oh boy... Weeks of protest and bruhaha... Then a corporation pays a whopping amount of 139k in back taxes... What an achievement...

An elephant gave birth to a mouse!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
I also think it is screwed up that this company can give the city a public park but have to pay taxes on the property.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   

reply to post by -W1LL

Because they can crap all over the park, ruin it, cry about how they have the right to do those things but when the bill comes its the cities responsibility to clean it up and the park belongs to Brookfield Properties.So OWS wants everyone else to pay and they want to reap the rewards.

you need to RE-read the article it cost the city $ to clean up the park. WE pay the city taxes it is our money the protestors money that paid to clean up the park and paid for the ridiculous mass of police used to block sidewalks and create traffic.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:06 PM
link   
reply to post by -W1LL

And who pays most of the taxes? And who does OWS cry about not paying enough when they can pay more?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   

reply to post by -W1LL

they achieved the FACT that now the public knows how big business who they are protesting owns and control our Gov. they are getting away with not paying taxes for 4 years...

Brookfield Properties owns the property they are responsible for paying the taxes just like EVERY land owning tax paying citizen.

Well, isn't that just great....OWS used that park for their anti-Capitalist protest, and now they think they have caused the evil owners of the partk to have their owed back taxes to be uncovered. That's gratitude for ya.
Who would have thought.

OWS raised 500,000 bucks using that park... the least they could do.....but guess not!
edit on 5-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by ThirdEyeofHorus

reply to post by -W1LL

Well, isn't that just great....OWS used that park for their anti-Capitalist protest, and now they think they have caused the evil owners of the partk to have their owed back taxes to be uncovered. That's gratitude for ya.
Who would have thought.

OWS raised 500,000 bucks using that park... the least they could do.....but guess not!
edit on 5-12-2011 by ThirdEyeofHorus because: (no reason given)

who is THEY? I was the only one who said I thought this was due to the protests.

and did you know about this before OWS I know I didn't...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:20 PM
link   
I think the irony being missed here is that people are being arrested and brutalized for doing what is supposed to be protected by the 1st Amendment while the owners of the park have committed a felony and nothing is done about it.

top topics

join