It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Irshad Manji: Courageous or Foolhardy?

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:11 PM
link   

Irshad Manji has been called Osama bin Laden's worst nightmare. She is an articulate and outspoken critic of his brand of fundamentalism. A practising Muslim, she believes her religion should embrace, as it has before, and still does in many places, tolerance, compassion and inquiry. She has written a book, 'The Trouble with Islam' which calls for a different kind of Islamic revolution, one in which Osama bin Laden is seen not as the leader but as the exception. From Canada, please welcome, Irshad Manji. www.abc.net.au...

Irshad Manji may actually be Islam's worst nightmare. She's more than a pracitcing muslim, she's a practicing lesbian. I would say that if she ever travels to any muslim country, her life-expectancy would be roughly 15 seconds.

Even here, given her high profile and the death sentence issued on Salman Rushdie, I'd say she's on someone's hit list. Is this woman brave or is she foolhardy?

[edit on 04/9/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Grady - I have seen Manji speak several times and find her to be very thoughtful and thorough in her research of all things Islamic.

After hearing her speak a month or two ago and hearing her views on Shariah law, I wanted to get some opposing views. I found a thread on this board discussing Islam and asked if Shariah was considered to be a part of the Koran or simply a remnant of tribal laws. No one ever addressed it to my knowledge. (still curious by the way)

An interesting quote from the interview you linked to:

In a word, the trouble with Islam is literalism. Again, let me, you know, acknowledge that every religion has its share of literalists. American Protestantism has its evangelicals, some of whom populate the White House today, Catholics have their principle of papal infallibility, Jews have their ultraorthodox, even Buddhists have fundamentalists. The difference is that only within Islam today is literalism going mainstream worldwide.

Fascinating woman to say the least and what a shame that more do not share her views.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 05:55 PM
link   
brave, very very brave. i've seen her on several different TV appearances and i appreciate her passion for wanting to "fix" islam (i.e. its opression towards women, its nack for fundamentalists, its rule through religion, and its 15th century workings in the 21st century). she is truly one of the people working to cure islam of it's worst aspects.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 06:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by Bleys
After hearing her speak a month or two ago and hearing her views on Shariah law, I wanted to get some opposing views.

I have read the Koran, many years ago. I will restrain myself from any comment, except that the book seems to be written expressly for the literalists or the concrete thinking. I know nothing of Shariah law. Perhaps someone else can help you.

American Protestantism has its evangelicals, some of whom populate the White House today

Comparing Protestant fundamentalist to Islamic fundamentalists is like comparing a troop of Brownies to a Mariine Corps Battalion Landing Team, if that's the point she is trying to make.

Fascinating woman to say the least and what a shame that more do not share her views.

She is a bright, articulate and insightful woman and that is, in itself, inconsistent with fundamentalist Islam.

[edit on 04/9/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 08:55 PM
link   
The lady tells it like it is. She is courageous not for what she says but for being a LESBIAN. Do you know how many people would like to "honor kill" her? Anyways America cannot win against an ideology as dangerous as Islamic fundamentalism. For the same reason we lost the Vietnam war. The only way we could have won the Vietnam war was mass genocide. We had already killed millions but millions kept coming. We thought "who is feeding the Viet Cong" Later we learned that the VC were the people and the people feed themselves.

new topics

top topics

join