It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

NASA's Kepler Confirms its First Planet in Habitable Zone of Sun-like Star

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:
+17 more 
posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:58 AM
link   
NASA

NASA's Kepler mission has confirmed its first planet in the "habitable zone," the region where liquid water could exist on a planet’s surface. Kepler also has discovered more than 1,000 new planet candidates, nearly doubling its previously known count. Ten of these candidates are near-Earth-size and orbit in the habitable zone of their host star. Candidates require follow-up observations to verify they are actual planets.

The newly confirmed planet, Kepler-22b, is the smallest yet found to orbit in the middle of the habitable zone of a star similar to our sun. The planet is about 2.4 times the radius of Earth. Scientists don't yet know if Kepler-22b has a predominantly rocky, gaseous or liquid composition, but its discovery is a step closer to finding Earth-like planets.

Big news for us science enthusiasts!

edit on 5-12-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

It is very big news Jepic. Thank you for posting this

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:04 AM
link   
"Could be, might be, possibly, maybe, acts like, seems like, probably hopefully maybe is an Earth like planet with possible, likely, probable life in some possible form or another... maybe..."

Always gets me excited to hear that stuff from NASA.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi
"Could be, might be, possibly, maybe, acts like, seems like, probably hopefully maybe is an Earth like planet with possible, likely, probable life in some possible form or another... maybe..."

Exactly what I was thinking..
About time they just came out with it and stopped beating around the bush.

zz.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:23 AM
link   

Originally posted by JibbyJedi

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
We need better telescopes!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:25 AM
link   
So.. an earth-like planet needs a sun-like sun and a habitable zone-like habitable zone
Does it need a moon-like moon?

Forest-like forests.. life-like life.. war-like wars?

What is the definition for an earth-like planet?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf
So.. an earth-like planet needs a sun-like sun and a habitable zone-like habitable zone

An earth-like planet in other words an Earth analog, is a planet that shares conditions similar to Earth.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   
Ahh yes I just seen this and was very happy to hear the news. It also made me wonder if this is possibly, assuming disclosure can or will or even has a reason to happen, a way to start it, showing that there are planets that life could live on. Seems like a good place to start to me.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Jepic

Yeah but that definition is kinda vague. "Earth-like" has already been used for rocky planets roughly the size of earth.

I don't like definitions that are used to sensationalize the newest discovery. I want it defined on forehand and not have it move along with every step taken into the field of exoplanet discovery.

One can zoom into earth-like conditions indefinitely.

So again, what is the definition of an earth-like planet? Is it enough to have an earth-sized rocky planet circling a sun-like sun in a habitable zone-like habitable zone or is that just the definition of what we are capable detecting at this moment?

edit on 5/12/11 by D.Wolf because: (no reason given)

edit on 5/12/11 by D.Wolf because: typo's

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:22 PM
link   
Star and a flag from me..... at the very least it proves that its at least possible for life to form on other planets similar to our own.

Wayne...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Wow, this one meets essentially all the criteria we have been looking for that could support life similar to our own.

All we really know is that it has a star similar to our own, is close in size to Earth, and orbits its star within a reasonable zone close to our own,.

We really can't tell if it has a decent atmosphere, but if it does, odds are pretty high that it has a rich variety of life forms.

I wonder what kind of plasma sphere surrounds it. It seems if they could detect that, it would be a good indicator of what kind of atmosphere it holds.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   
NOW

THIS ARE MY KINDA NEWS IN ATS!

This are incredible news and its relatively close to us!

The planet, Kepler 22-b, lies about 600 light-years away and is about 2.4 times the size of Earth, and has a temperature of about 22C.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:07 PM
link   
reply to post by poet1b

well, its "habitable" so is Mars!

But we can hope.... !
edit on 5-12-2011 by azulejo because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:41 PM
link   

Originally posted by D.Wolf

Well, yes.. actually..

A moon would help out a lot and does a lot for the evolution of life on Earth.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
It is close enought that if it has inhabitants that have broadcast in the last 600+ years that we might be able to pick up some of their radio waves. Of course that would require the planet to be in a state that supports intelligent life formation. It's time may have come and gone or be set for the future.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:48 PM
link   
this honestly doesn't do anything for me.

it's a matter of probability that there are planets resembling our own. it would be impossible for there not to be.

especially one that has suitable conditions for life AND actually has technologically advanced beings living there.

the planet also has unsuitable conditions (in our minds) that has life living there in the most extremes.

there are more than a billion+ earth like planets in our galaxy alone, I would assume based on the number of stars and the ease with which earth finds homeostasis and the life in abundance.

so far the odds are in our favour...
1 star, 1 earth, 1 planet full of life.
i'd almost expect every other star to have some form of life around it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:02 PM
link   
I am just glad that we do not yet have the technology or capabilities to go there and either rape/exploit the planet of its natural resources, or for the elite to use it as a holiday destination or escape rock for when TSHTF.

I may also be wrong here, but is it not possible for a life supporting planet to exist outside of the "habitable zone". i.e A planet with internal warmth - life may still exist such as the deep sea life forms that live near the sulphur plumes here on Earth?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:36 PM
link   
Remember SETI?? It was cancelled in April of 2011 and guess what?? They just brought it back online aimed at what? You guessed it Keplar system...interesting...www.seti.org...
edit on 5-12-2011 by Backbiter because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:50 PM
link   
Hurray for Canada's first space telescope, eh!

new topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join