It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Insurance

page: 3
<< 1  2   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   
reply to post by DisIllusioned PatRiot

It isn't worth it!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:42 PM
link   
reply to post by randomname

Probably not. Radioactive doom will more likely come from a second Carrington event, and be very survivable as long as that part has been worked out. all of the pumps in all of the nuke plants worldwide stop working.....

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:06 PM
link   

I started out with just a bugout bag, and moved toward an INCH bag "just in case".

INCH = I'm not coming home

For fire I went with firesteel, a lense, and learned the indian firebow method.

For food I stored hard winter wheat and beans as they make a good protein.

I carry a seed kit for long term food if needed in a thermos to keep it at a steady temp.

I carry a laminated wild edible guide, and medicinal wild plants guide.

consider caching a restart kit, and some food and water purification method like
Polar pure resublimated iodine crystals if you are not allergic to shellfish.

I carry snare wire and a pocket SAS survival guide, fish trap works, tried it and released.

trapping is often illegal because it works TOO well, and in the past certain species
were almost wiped out.

The ojibwa bird trap works like a charm as well, tried it and released.

What is in this $200 pack can be done for a lot less if ppl are willing to do
a bit of work themselves and with the economy in the toilet saving money
is required by most ppl.

At the end of 14 days if things are still bad you are in a bad way.

Learn to live off the land the way the native americans did and you can make
it indefinitely and for very little money.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Ex_MislTech because: content

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Ex_MislTech

Your completely right, the brain is a terrible thing to waist.
Good on you for actually practicing your skills...most never do

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by sirnex

I bet all those people who were stuck in their houses in Japan near the reactors would have been glad for a few emergency supplies. They were unable to forage outside.

Having some amount of stored food cached like special forces does will see you
thru what they call black swan events.

The weather can be unforgiving, and the land being picked clean by starving millions is very likely.

They may not eat off the land to start with, but as it gets worse they will listen to the few who
know what is going on.

If you live near any of the major population centers you will need to move away from them because
only vertical hydroponics and aquaculture can support that many ppl, but in the initial phases ppl
will be rioting and the security forces will not be picky about who they shoot if they are holding
a gun for offense or defending their property.

When it goes bonkers its better off to not be there for some young military scared kid to decide
if that gun in your hand is for defense of offense, like Katrina they will likely just take it from you
and like Katrina you may never see it again.

I make my plans based on what has happened before, history has many clear examples like
the Bielski partisans, thou I have no intent of swatting the hornet's nest or raiding my neighbors.

Good Luck to all the good ppl of the world !!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Sticking to your question, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if there is a registry of new ordered food they won't be knocking on your door to get it back. Basically what you are getting is enough supplies to last through a short-term emergency. Save yourself some money and get a small camping stove, a large bag of rice, some canned goods, some dried goods, and may be even a couple MREs. You will save yourself a lot of money.

Look up BOBs bug out bags on this site and plan accordingly. As someone else said you could just get a box of MREs or about $50 that will last you a month if you are thrifty. Personally I wouldn't give Glenn Beck a dime.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by Shadowalker
reply to post by sirnex

I agree. All of those skills are critical and come first. But having the money for comfort items that do similar jobs and often better is nothing to turn down.

When the gear goes down you have to have the basics to fill in the gaps.

I personally don't have the money to stockpile creature comforts. Nor can I readily justify in expending financial resources that can be utilized now where it counts in secure times on stockpiling for an even that may or may not come for me to utilize those stockpiles. I would rather use my money on thing's that benefit me in the now, while thing's are still fine.

What I would personally rather do is learn the skills to make due with what nature provides me instead. I don't have to worry about those skills breaking or being stolen. It gives me a true sense of security and hope in knowing that I don't need to rely upon anything or anyone to provide for my family if the need should ever arise. No one is going to see me as a potential target, because I would have nothing of value to them. They're looking for stockpiles of food, guns, ammo. To them, I'll look like I have a few days to live, they simply won't waste they're time on me.

If I can provide shelter, fire, water, food and equipment with just my knowledge and own two hands, then by what reason would I waste money on buying products made to break down in less than a year? Sure, having the tool already would make it immediately useful, but it also makes me immediately a target. I have no sense of security if I'm viewed as a target because I bought a product from some company and someone else wants it.

Ever since I've been practicing, all these things have been getting easier and easier for me. It really isn't hard once you know what you're doing. If you don't learn and don't practice these skills before they're needed, then yea, life is going to suck really bad for you. To me, the whole point of being a survivalist is learning and practicing real survival skills. You're simply not a survivalist if you just stockpile food, water, guns and ammo and run your mouth saying you'll shoot anyone who tries to take your things. Good luck to anyone defending their BOL from a gang of people wanting what you have.

Skills, knowledge and practice. It's all you need.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 04:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by randomname
any shtf scenario that people are talking about is a nuclear holocaust. and not one or two bombs lobbed at new york.

i'm talkin about thousands of warheads obliterating the united states.

any survival situation is not going to involve you living like daniel boone off the land and building a log cabin.

it's going to involve you waiting for help and dying like a pig.

The one I'm more worried about is a CME. If power ever get's knocked out for a decade or more, you bet your left butt cheek people are going to lose it. The world as we know it now will vanish.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 05:05 AM
link   
I feel you. It's not going to be beautiful.

I can tell you that after just one week living on canned food in the Swedish nature I lost most of my spoiled-by-civilization-fats. I lost 3 inches on my belt however I did not feel hungry. I'm just trying to give perspective to how spoiled we are. You will miss your toilet when you have to dig a hole before you can go.

You cannot imagine how real survival will be unless you put yourself to a test.

If you want to experience what it is then put it to practice. Practice how it feels, how your body reacts to it. Put your reality to the test.

Sirnex is very realistic from my perspective and I really enjoy seeing other survivalists.

Real survival, like our ancestors did a long time ago, consumes a tremendous amount of energy, physically and mentally.
It will bring obstacles to you that you had nightmares of. You will have to go back to your human self not the 'civilized' creature you have become. You will have to be happy with a snail for breakfast if you don't know how to trap or hunt and track or identify edible plants.

What Sirnex means is that you should replace equipment with knowledge because when it comes to it knowledge weighs nothing and will be with you when you need it in a fraction of a second.

You go stock this, stock that, get this, get that. It will spoil. It will break.
edit on 6/12/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 01:49 PM
link   
People should never stockpile for a long term survival situation, ever. Stockpiles are great and should be done and relied upon for short term events. If we ever encounter a long term situation, a huge stockpile reduces your chances of security, people will find out and you're only one person defending your stockpiles. It limits your mobility, you can't move if your situation requires it, or at the least, you can't move with your stockpile. You would have to leave it behind.

Another point,a bunch of first aid kits bought at walmart with bandaids and crap is going to save you. You can't stockpile three years worth of medication either. Your best bet is to learn how to use plants for your medicinal needs. Most of our medicine are derived from plants, so it only makes sense to learn about them for when the time comes that you need them. Just knowing how to ease a headache with willow bark or birch bark teas can make a world of difference when your tylenol runs out or get's stolen.

Gangs of people, rioters, looters aren't going to be combing the woods looking for potential targets, but if you have electricity from generators out in the woods, you will be found out. Best bet is to learn how to enjoy life without power if you want to survive. Yes a generator, tv, and dvd player is great, but it also makes you lazy. You simply don't have time anymore to watch a few dvd's, you need to be out collecting wood, hunting, foraging. Creature comforts are going to kill you in the end.

When we lost power from Irene, I used my cell phone to log on the internet, I simply couldn't believe the amount of people posting around me on facebook about not being able to have coffee because the power was out. Dunkin donuts was closed, their stove wouldn't turn on. Christ, I had coffee, hot meals, kept warm at night and even built a manual clothes washer and hung dried my clothes! People rely on creature comforts so much these days, it's really sad.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 04:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

The mainstream weak group that relies so much on civilization will be choking in their throats and fun when sh*t hits the fan.

This group will be disabled within a month. Which is already most of mainstream society.
edit on 7/12/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 01:22 PM
link   
reply to post by novuslibertas

I can only hope they do die off that quick.

Leave more available resources for those of us who actually took the time to learn how to survive instead of those who stockpiled their cowboy guns and dehydrated meals.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:19 AM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I'm pretty sure they will. First week they'll all like it. Second week after the excessive eating and drinking and excessive energy spending on the usual they will start to run low on their food cache because they rationed like fools. Third week they basically ran out of food. They start to feel weak and tired. Fourth week they start considering bugs and people.

By then they are no longer mainstream people I would say lmao.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi

Sticking to your question, I don't think you have anything to worry about. Even if there is a registry of new ordered food they won't be knocking on your door to get it back. Basically what you are getting is enough supplies to last through a short-term emergency. Save yourself some money and get a small camping stove, a large bag of rice, some canned goods, some dried goods, and may be even a couple MREs. You will save yourself a lot of money.

Yeah I wasnt planning on buy it because I cant afford that and my wife and I can our own food. I was just wondering if anyone thought that it could be used to track survivalists or anyone the gov says is a "home grown terrorist." It was an idea more for a police state or other gov take over then for a shtf scenario

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2   >>

join