It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Food Insurance

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by camaro68ss
reply to post by sirnex

the problem with your idea is once you have 311 million americans hitting the forst for food and game, your going to run out of game fast. heck, go a few day before deer sesson is over and try and find a buck, theres not to many out there and thats only having .001% of the population hunting them.

really the best way to survive is to set up a comunity of farming and hunting with around the clock comunity defence. just like tribes in the old days

One of the greatest feeling for me is the security in knowing that the majority of those 311 million american's are lazy and unskilled in how to survive. They'll be killing each other off long before they wise up and realize they need to learn how to hunt and forage to really survive. What I can do now however is communicate with other survivalists or those who realized long before a situation arose that they need to get in the survivalist mindset on how to prepare and survive a SHTF situation.

In the beginning of a SHTF situation, I don't think people are going to be worrying about banding together in little tribes. People don't work like that. We're barbaric and warlike. They'll kill you for your stockpile before they shake your hand and give you a hug and wet sloppy kiss on the cheek. It'll take the tiniest dumbest thing to set someone off in a violent fit of anger. Then what? Let the sheep kill each other, you and I can take great pride in knowing we have the skills and knowledge to survive, to eke out a meager existence away from the violence, away from the stupidity and away from the threats. I'm not advocating teaching all 311 million of the sheep to survive, I'm counting on those morons to die, and die quick. Simply because you're right, my resources will dwindle fast if they learn, but thankfully they're worried about cell phones, electricity and computers and video games. They're not a threat to me now and if I maintain a low profile and stockpile in just knowledge, I'm not a target to them.

I'll chat and exchange idea's with those few survivalist simply because the chances of you living near me and fighting for those same resources I'm gathering are pretty slim. Even if we're in the same location, perhaps we can barter or band together. Minute you cross me, well... let's hope it never comes to that.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:02 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

So when the SHTF, are you going at it along? A lone Rambo, or do you have a small group? If history teaches us anything, the norm is strength in numbers and knowledge.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

So when the SHTF, are you going at it along? A lone Rambo, or do you have a small group? If history teaches us anything, the norm is strength in numbers and knowledge.

I have myself and my family to worry about. I don't have the time nor energy to expend on worrying about anyone else in a SHTF situation. I'm only going to care for my own, not expend energy on caring for others outside my family to provide for them as well.

History has taught us that strength in numbers comes down to fighting with others. If I don't have a stockpile, I don't have to worry about others wanting to fight me for it. If I don't have a garden, I don't have to worry about others fighting me for it's harvest. Strength in numbers when it comes to real survival translates to more required resources to feed and shelter that larger group. The only purpose for providing for such a large group would be defense. Are you going to be the leader of your group? What if someone else think's they can do better and attempts to get you down from leadership through force? It's a survival issue. You can't trust people to blindly follow you, nor can you put that much responsibility on yourself.

Like you said, there is 311 million american's all fighting for their own survival. Not a single one of our wonderful dumb arrogant population is going to band together happily. The bigger the group, the greater the problems. Especially with our country. Care for your own and cautiously deal with all others. A true SHTF situation isn't going to bring about utopia where we all magically care for one another in little tribes. The only thing you can pray for is it thins out the population increasing your chances of survival, granted you don't do something stupid like stockpile and make yourself a target for others.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:24 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I bet all those people who were stuck in their houses in Japan near the reactors would have been glad for a few emergency supplies. They were unable to forage outside.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:25 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by sirnex

I bet all those people who were stuck in their houses in Japan near the reactors would have been glad for a few emergency supplies. They were unable to forage outside.

Yep, one of the few thing's you can't really prepare for are man made situations, like nuclear threats, biological and chemical attacks. Mankind is great like that, we think of the most efficient ways to kill each other.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:26 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I respect your outlook and views. You have great points. Theres pros and cons to your plan as is mine. I would have to say the hardest part would be the first few months. when people have the strangth to chase your or hunt you down for your stock.

Once after the massive die off, those left will start think about their energy expended and the value of the day to day goals and if its worth the cals expended. I think after the massive die off things will get easier. your going to have less people fighting and if they are fighting, there not going to have the strength to over power you. you just have to get past the first few months

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:34 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

It is hard to garden. I have tried 2 years in a row using different methods with little sucess. It is a learning curve. If you had to garden to eat, it would be better to practice the skills ahead of time. I planted fruit trees to see if I would have better luck with them.

I tried saving seeds from flowers but nothing grew from the saved seeds.

Gardens take tons of water. This year we had a drought. Ponds dried up so there was no water for animals and the fish died. No fruit, few nuts, heck-no grass. Not much to forage.
edit on 5-12-2011 by NotThat because: typo

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

I respect your outlook and views. You have great points. Theres pros and cons to your plan as is mine. I would have to say the hardest part would be the first few months. when people have the strangth to chase your or hunt you down for your stock.

Once after the massive die off, those left will start think about their energy expended and the value of the day to day goals and if its worth the cals expended. I think after the massive die off things will get easier. your going to have less people fighting and if they are fighting, there not going to have the strength to over power you. you just have to get past the first few months

Def agree with you on that point. First six months are going to be the most violent. The first three months, you might see some violent breakouts, the next three after that everyone is done dealing with the situation and all hell breaks out. At least in my opinion. Thing is, that's the time you def don't want to be a target and having a stockpile is going to make you a target. People will notice if you have a generator, lights, wood for a wood stove and happy chatter coming from your house/BOL. Even then, say it's an evacuation order issued, you'll be forced to leave your years worth of stockpiles. You never ever have to leave knowledge locked away in your head behind, ever. No one can take knowledge from you, ever. Except under one circumstance, by killing you. Making yourself a target just increases the chances of that happening.

Honestly, stockpile for short term situations, learn for everything else. Even then, the knowledge you do learn can still be of great value and use for those short term situations! Anything you need to stockpile for over three months, don't bother, chances are people aren't going to sit idly by for that long before thing's start getting really bad.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   

Originally posted by NotThat
reply to post by sirnex

It is hard to garden. I have tried 2 years in a row using different methods with little sucess. It is a learning curve. If you had to garden to eat, it would be better to practice the skills ahead of time. I planted fruit trees to see if I would have better luck with them.

I tried saving seeds from flowers but nothing grew from the saved seeds.

Gardens take tons of water. This year we had a drought. Ponds dried up so there was no water for animals and the fish died. No fruit, few nuts, heck-no grass. Not much to forage.
edit on 5-12-2011 by NotThat because: typo

That's exactly why I would rather learn how to forage and hunt. I don't want to expend the time and energy in hunkering down in one spot praying to the rain gods. I don't want a massive amount of supplies to move should the area I'm currently in becomes nonviable to my survival. I don't want to lug around hundreds of pounds of crap slowing me down when everything I need is already there, you just need to know how to make the tools required for your survival!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:13 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Whats to stop others for stealing your package when iit gets delieved lol

Smith and Wesson...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   

Originally posted by VeniVidi
reply to post by yourboycal2

Whats to stop others for stealing your package when iit gets delieved lol

Smith and Wesson...

Really? Now I'm assuming you're talking about after a SHTF situation has occurred, surely you wouldn't be stupid enough to shoot at someone while law and order is still in effect.

Now assuming this is after a SHTF situation, how long can you stay awake with your gun in hand? You need to sleep at some point.

Funny how the cowboys call me rambo lol
edit on 5-12-2011 by sirnex because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
Tomorrow at 2:45pm an EMP hits. Eurasia, North America, and South America are knocked out of electricity. I wonder how many don't even have a gallon of water in reserve and a box or two ready to eat meals or 3 cans of chile, spam etc. All (approx. 370) of the large transformers the size of a building are blown. They are not produced in the USA and current procurement time is three years. That time frame of 3 years is WITH all our modern conveniences of electricity and shipping availability. Without electricity......who knows, 10, 20 50 years. Got your BOB ready? I see way too many "I'm gonna" "I plan to" etc. Not ready now??? You most likely won't be when a crisis hits. They won't need or use FEMA camps. There won't be any fuel, water or electricity to move or house 500 people let alone millions. Relying on the government to "help" you????? Good luck with that!

edit on 5-12-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gridrebel
Tomorrow at 2:45pm an EMP hits. Eurasia, North America, and South America are knocked out of electricity. I wonder how many of you don't even have a gallon of water in reserve and a box or two ready to eat meals or 3 cans of chile, spam etc. All (approx. 370) of the large transformers the size of a building are blown. They are not produced in the USA and current procurement time is three years. That time frame of 3 years is WITH all our modern conveniences of electricity and shipping availability. Without electricity......who knows, 10, 20 50 years. Got your BOB ready? I see way too many "I'm gonna" "I plan to" etc. Not ready now??? You most likely won't be when a crisis hits. They won't need or use FEMA. There won't be any fuel, water or electricity to move or house 500 people let alone millions. Relying on the government to "help" you????? Good luck with that!

So the plan is to drop ten grand on a years worth of food, another god know's how much on supplies that are produced to break down in less than a year so you have to buy new ones?

What ya gonna do the next two years when your stockpiles are depleted?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:15 PM
link   
Previously stated concern about being tracked if you make purchases of MREs. A local deputy posted he had a box of 50 mre units for sale. The local posting board on Buy a dog, Sell a Hog, go figure, lol. But some folks may not know who their local law enforcement officers are. So right off the bat, knowing who this guy was, it did cross my mind, hmmmm? Was this a setup for a list of "party of interest"? All he said in his comment posts was: naw he already sold em, but I will take your name, number, and address and get back to you if I get more. Bingo! That was another red flag, just watching his posts made me wary and cautious.

By the way, SHTF scenario does not mean the same to everyone. My car got broke into over the weekend, by drug thugs. Now our neighborhood was pretty nice around here. But in the last couple of years we could tell more na'er do wells are starting to populate our once peaceful community. The surprising thing was how meticulous they were. They removed the bulbs from the security lights and ripped out the sensor mechanism. Didn't break the glass on the door, dumped the contents of the glovebox into a single pile in the floorboard, searched the ashtray. When they found no bottles in the glove or materials they wanted in the ashtray, they gently but not completely closed the door, just enough for the interior light not to be left on and not bam it shut to create noise. For them SHTF was running out of stash and looking for method of replacement. Considerate in a way, could have been a lot worse for me. But let me tell you, we are ready for home invasion, will not end so well for them. Just wasn't thinking my car was a better target.
edit on 5-12-2011 by SunflowerStar because: s in the wrong place

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
reply to post by eeks4

You can make your own, just dip your matches into a tiny bit of wax, its keeps them pretected, but if the layer is thin enough theyll still light.

Sorry for the off topic post, just thought it was a handy bit of info to share with ya'll.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:35 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

Not hardly, maybe a 50 or a hundred on foods ready to eat and/or dehydrated, or make your own deyhdrated foods. Water. If you live in the city, depending on the situation, get out and FAST. Your BOB should be ready to go with snare wire, solid fixed blade knife, MRE's or the like, water filter, rope, sleeping bag, tarp, backpack stove if you're willing to carry the extra few ounces and fuel tablets, a gallon of water, fishing line, hooks and a gun. Any meds you might need, a small cook pan and a camp coffee cup. It all depends on what you want to carry. Many indian tribes used pinole for nutrition. Six pounds would last approximately six months and keep one from starving. (Pinole is the staple of the Tarahumara indians (sometimes referred to as “the running people”), a Mexican tribe of superathletes who run 50 or 100 miles at a time for pure enjoyment, seemingly without effort. Their fuel for these runs? They take with them small sacks of Pinole.") There is plenty of information on the net, you can make your own or buy it.

Part of the problem is people feel overwhelmed thinking they have to have 5 years of food and water. A true survivor has multiple plans, uses what is available or knows how to get (to) the unavailable in adverse conditions. Anyone with a lick of sense would know to get out of the city. They won't be alone. There WILL be tribes. You have to learn to adapt and use your environment. If you live in northern states and SHTF in the winter time, have a plan to get to warmer temps asap. Have your BOB prepared accordingly. Have a pair of comfortable (worn in) hiking shoes. The cheap sneakers you bought from payless won't last long.

The thing is, don't put it off waiting for more money, not knowing where to go. Get a plan and get ready now. Be prepared for a week of no electricity and move on from there. There are so many scenarios that could possibly happen. Have a plan for bugging in and bugging out. Every time you can, add to your stock. Get the most important and difficult to obtain items first.

If nothing happens, then lucky you. Go on a hike and appreciate what we still have. Get in shape, get off addictive substances. You know the saying.... failing to prepare is preparing to fail. Do SOMETHING.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:48 PM
link   

reply to post by sirnex

I have those notes here on the die offs that happened in other remote places.

Die offs: 7,21, 30 and 45 days. each a different wave and reasons.

No 1# item of value= Medical supplies The skills are worthless without supplies.

Minimum number of days for stored food and water=90

Difficulty with 'known hazards' AKA predators...doubles every 30 days. The doubling times= 30,60,90,and 120 days. Each point marks competitors who are still alive and a danger. The more that die off, the higher the skill level of those left, which means the ones at 120 days will be upper middle tier and top tier predators.

Persons most likely to kill you = women and children.

After 120 days all food and fuel will be scavenged. That means you either need a full garden and farm in a bunker or be able to live off the land and that means to always be moving, as natural foods run out very fast in the low densities they are found in the wild.

If there is fallout, fowl and poultry are the first animals that are safe to eat. at 120 days if they are kept in clean fallout free places with clean food and water. In the wild much longer.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Shadowalker because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
reply to post by sirnex

I agree. All of those skills are critical and come first. But having the money for comfort items that do similar jobs and often better is nothing to turn down.

When the gear goes down you have to have the basics to fill in the gaps.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:56 PM
link   
I have searched before and can find no references to tracking survival food and emergency supplies sales. My personal opinion is there are so many people purchasing emergency foods and such for a variety of reasons in a variety of amounts, most likely, it's just business as usual. If you spent $30,000.00 on one order, you might draw a little attention. I have purchased quite a bit from Honeyville and haven't had any inquiries from the FBI or FEMA.

edit on 5-12-2011 by Gridrebel because:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
any shtf scenario that people are talking about is a nuclear holocaust. and not one or two bombs lobbed at new york.

i'm talkin about thousands of warheads obliterating the united states.

any survival situation is not going to involve you living like daniel boone off the land and building a log cabin.

it's going to involve you waiting for help and dying like a pig.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join