It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A rant from Captain America

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:28 AM
link   

Text “I remember a time when it was easy to feel pride in this ‘country’. When ‘this’ country celebrated the victories of its loyal soldiers. When ‘this’ country was my country right or wrong. And most of the time it was right. But times have changed, haven’t they? The battles are less clear, the wars less noble, the cause less right, even in the shadow of 9/11. Dark men with a ‘cause’ come at us like thieves in the night. Men who consider their ‘cause’ noble. Men who consider their cause ‘holy’. Men whose ideals carry power, and weight, and substance and make us seem wrong, but whose actions, reprehensible and vile, make murderers look right. This government can be wrong. Our politics can be flawed. We are, after all, a complex system run by human beings.” -Captain America

You could argue they are words of wisdom more than a rant. I read this the other day and couldnt help but think how eloquent and accurate Captain Americas words were. I think we can all agree with Captain America that governments can be wrong and politics flawed. I also agree that that the battles are less clear,the wars less noble. With that in mind,arent members of the armed forces in recent times essentially mercenaries? Or are they victims of propaganda and media induced hysteria?
edit on 5-12-2011 by theovermensch because: typo

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:46 AM
link   

Text “And, in a world rife with injustice, greed, and endless war. Who’s to say the rebels are wrong?”-Captain America.
reply to post by theovermensch

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:49 AM
link   

Originally posted by theovermensch
With that in mind,arent members of the armed forces in recent times essentially mercenaries? Or are they victims of propaganda and media induced hysteria?

Yes and yes.

Soldiers today are fighting for-profit wars. These are not the great campaigns of the past to preserve our freedom and way of life, they are wars of aggression to secure resources and land. Some are aware of this and some are blissfully ignorant of this fact. I am very close with many Iraq (Op Iraqi Freedom) vets and their opinions range from "what the $%*# was I there for?" to "I fought for your FREEDOM!"

I worry that soon many of them may be scooped up and re-deployed.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:07 AM
link   
reply to post by TinkerHaus

You often see stories in the media showing that the government isnt looking after the veterans. I cant see why anyone would fight for them.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by theovermensch

No, US soldiers are not mercs, they are however the guys who respond to and save the mercs when they get butt deep in shell casings.
Our soldiers are fed a line about some convoy that has been attacked and respond, when it was actually just mercs getting their bell rung.
The blackwater types get the atrocious crap and the soldiers get the cleanup.
But Cap was pretty spot on.

top topics

join