It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Legend of Boggy Creek

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:00 AM
link   
The Legend of Boggy Creek was a movie that came out in 1972 that was a docudrama suppossedly based on a true story about sightings of a bigfoot like creature in Fouke County Arkansas. The movie featured interviews with people who claimed to have encounters with said creature mixed in with some acting. I have not seen it yet but would like to. I would like to ask if anyone has seen it and also if you think it is worth the time and your oponions on it weather it be fact or fiction. Could it be a bigfoot or something else?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:35 AM
link   
The movie is crap. I watched it and it's not worth the time it takes to put it in the player.
Now the Boggy Creek monster or the "Fouke Monster" is similar to Bigfoot, only if I remember correctly is more aggressive.
I found the wiki for you.
Fouke Monster

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:36 AM
link   
This sounds similar to the movies Blair witch project and Appollo 18, both of which are fakes.
The movie title did ring a bell but I cannot actually remember seeing it.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:43 AM
link   
reply to post by JROCK2527

I know I saw it back in the year it came out. I remember I liked it back then. That was a long time ago, I have no idea what I'd think of it now after almost 40 years.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:56 AM
link   
It was a good drive-in movie for the time...1972. Remember, tastes were a bit tamer back then and people were shocked at the original Texas Chainsaw Massacre, which almost got an x-rating for violence...although there is little blood and gore in the actual movie. yes I saw it at the drive in.. boy, am I old.

And yes, I believe it to be based on actual events as "Bigfoot" type animals are seen in that part of Arkansas- Missouri- Oklahoma. The area is still pretty remote and home of the Ozark Mountains. A perfect area for such a creature and capable of hiding and supporting a small family or clan of the animals.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   
This is a movie, which is loosly based around encounters.

The story is from bigfoot sightings in Arkansas, which to this day remains questionable.

Beleive it or not, there are some who say these sightings and events were actually perpetrated by the KKK - whos members would dress up in a gorilla outfit, or some other outfit, and commit crimes.

I know that sounds crazy, but it is one of the theories floating around out there.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:48 AM
link   

The movie was terrible! However, I have kinfolk there and have been to Fouke and have been to Boggy Creek many times and have never seen the "monster". I can however tell you what I was told by my great uncle and his sister (both dead since the early 1980's) as they grew up basically in the woods of that area.

My old kin told me that there were creatures called "musk apes" that lived deep in the swamps. They said they had a potent animal musk smell and were really big and hairy, and at first glance looked like a real big hairy men. They said they were mean and would attack you if you tried to mess with them, and that if I saw one the best thing to do was avoid eye contact, don't make sudden movements and back away slowly.

I was told that in times of little rain these creatures had been known to come close to town and had raided outside deepfreezers and smokehouses. They said the only time they messed with people was if you tried to mess with them first. As more people built houses and populated the area the creatures moved deeper into the woods and didn't come out unless starving.

During the Depression the local moonshiners capitalized on the creature stories to keep the police away. I was told that sometimes they would even dress up in homemade costumes and "make mischief" to perpetuate the legend so as to keep the locations of their stills safe. When I was a child there were still warning signs to try to keep people away warning of the "monster".

My kin that live there now have never seen one of the creatures but have heard stories their whole lives. The old ones that are gone now claimed to have seen them many times and seemed to accept the creatures as just a natural part of the woods (by the way, they were Indian and grew up living off of the woods and streams in the area.)

I don't know how much is true but I can say that they weren't much for spinning yarns or making up stories so I lean towards believing it more than not. Not to mention they lived in a dirt floor shack in those woods from the early 1900's so there's no telling WHAT might have lived in those woods back then.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:59 AM
link   
The movie was terrible. I didn't even finish watching it and left the theatre. No real action at all. Like someone said, it was the blair witch of the time. People went to see it because they thought it was real.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:11 PM
link   

see it for free on youtube

www.youtube.com...

-subfab

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 05:32 AM
link   
thanks for all the feedback, and thank you subfab I'll add it to my watch later list so i can check it out when I have time. I was just asking about it because my pops has brought it up a few times so i wanted to see if anyone recommended it thanks to all for your response

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 12:04 PM
link   

I remember watching it when i was younger. It was a crappy campy 70's movie however, even at a young age i had an interest in cryptozoology so i sat through it. Long story sort- after hearing about more of the recent sightings. It doesnt quite sound as if its a bigfoot, i think its something else that just doesnt want to be found.
I think its more of like the Skunk Ape we have here in florida. Some sort of hybrid Bipedal Orangutang/Ape that lives in the swamp however highly agressive if provoked. There had been a sighting and pictures of this in the Myakka Swamp on the west coast of florida. The one thing that really gets me about this pic is the red in the eyes of the creature. I have been told that this signify's blood thats in the eye. Therefore this is a living creature. I have also heard story's of this creature being in a small town bout 25 miles from me called Hollopaw here in Brevard county. Anyways.i'm sure many of you have seen this pic before but this is probably what they have in Fouke!

edit on 7-12-2011 by XxAcidxBurnxX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 07:35 AM
link   
reply to post by XxAcidxBurnxX

where did these pics some from???

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I always thought it was the same Boggy Creek thats in southern Austin. Its wet and lush, prime BF country. That's what I get for thinking. LOL

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:07 PM
link   
I have it. I was suprised at how many thought it was a "crapy" movie. It was a high budget production, but I enjoyed it. There are hospital recorded of the guy that was hurt at the end of the story, but he has disappears or doesn't want to talk about it. Maybe it wasn't well recieved because they didn't get any hard footage of a creature, it is just a story w/o ever seeing much of the creature. Still, I enjoyed it - but then I love Gozilla movies too...

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   
Most of these stories are told by locals to keep the revenuers away from their bootlegging operations...that and haunted houses and other assorted boogeyman/ghost stories...

posted on Dec, 16 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   
If this is the same movie that I remember seeing in the theater: when the monster stuck its arm through the window, the girls in the row behind me screamed and scared me half to death. I remember it as being a typically decent movie for its time, although kids today would dismiss it as drivel.

posted on Jan, 24 2012 @ 06:38 AM
link   
I still havnt had the time so sit down and watch the whole thing but I will eventually hopefully.

new topics

top topics

join