It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The Oldest Christmas Tree in the World

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:35 AM
link   
This is the oldest Christmas tree ever known in the world.

He looks like jewel for me.

It's just 14 inch and it's 124th year old.

Textt cost six pence when it was bought in the mid-Victorian era but was last valued at £1,000 by experts at the Antiques Road Show in 2005. Owner Paul Parker received the delicate ornament after his mother, Janet, passed away at the age of 69 in 2008, and is the third generation of his family to enjoy it. Displaying the tree for the first time since his mother's death, Mr Parker is delighted to be carrying on the family tradition. Read more: www.dailymail.co.uk...
source(www... .dailymail.co.uk/news/article-1336110/Worlds-oldest-Christmas-tree-makes-welcome-return--124th-year.html

source(www.dailymail.co.uk...

I think it looks better then a jewel and it's more beautiful then a jewel!

Do you like to have this above your fireplace this year?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Honestly, it just looks like twigs and branches to me. You can buy much better looking "mini-trees" at your local Walmart. However, the story behind it is quite intriguing, and I'm sure it has enormous sentimental value amongst it's owners/"family." And that's what Christmas is all about.

As far as me wanting it above my fireplace? Not so much. But I'm sure it's caretakers are far more proud of it than I could ever be. So, Happy Holidays to them, yourself, and to the rest of ATS! Regardless of what is going on around the world, be sure to spend these next few weeks sharing your love with those who are important to you. A true holiday spirit comes directly from the heart, and has nothing to do with material possession.

Cheers,
Strype
edit on 5-12-2011 by Strype because: +

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:48 AM
link   
reply to post by diamondsmith

Dang! Is this tree a model or sumthin? it's like really skinny.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:51 AM
link   
Id rather not have that in the house at all to be honest, looks like a piece of tat....looks like someone had a full size tree, chopped the top off, let their cat chew on it for a few hours, and then stuck it in a waste paper bin.

Well, it is a curiosity because of its age. But there is no way of putting it politely: it was a piece of tat in 1886 and it's still a piece of tat. Anyway, the story is riddled with holes. First we're told that Mr Parker is the 3rd generation of his family to enjoy the, er, heirloom. But the article says it was "first bought by Mr Parker's great-great aunt Lou in 1886"......that would mean he's the 5th generation surely? Or maybe some of the intervening generations didn't 'enjoy' the wretched thing? But wait! Under the photo the indefatigable Lou is described as "Paul Parker's Great grandmother Lou Hicks" - that means he's the 4th generation as well! Maybe I should just get out more. - John, Dublin, 07/12/2010 15:49

The guy makes some good points....how old is it again?? lol

edit on 5-12-2011 by loves a conspiricy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:57 AM
link   
reply to post by mttdms

Well what would you want it to look like a plus sized model>?

Putting funniness aside. Amazing they have kept it for so long, and it is valued at £1000, not a bad Christmas present if one says so herself.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:06 AM
link   
For all of you from me:

STRONG ESSENCES OF PERFUME ARE KEPT IN SMALL BOTTLES!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:18 AM
link   
Naaa! The oldest Christmas tree in the world is probably a few hundred years old and is still in the ground growing.

Humbug.

new topics

top topics

join