It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ULTIMATE expression of ignorance -- "Pics or it didn't happen"

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:14 PM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

Alright OP, last night I saw a glowing orb hovering over downtown Lubbock, TX for nearly 20 minutes.

I have no pictures and no other evidence and I can't find anything online about it.

What are we going to talk about in my thread?

Absolutely nothing - so why post it?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   

I think it is a mistake to judge a discussion merely on its potential to boost ones ego, that is to say "This is a good discussion if I agree with it"

Surprisingly this is what a large majority of posts here on ATS are about, on either side of any discussion. People have some need to classify something as true or false as quickly as possible, and preferably in the direction that will align with their perceived self image.

In the subject of UFO's unfortunately information is scarce, because the phenomenon (whatever it's true origin might be) is infrequent.

We should start to value subjects for their potential for exploration.

A good ufo report to me is not a report that is "proven" true or false. A report like that is an open and shut case and not worthy of any discussion.

A good report is one where there are details to scrutinize, potential eyewitness that have yet to come forward or potential ties to existing reports that might help corroborate.

Clearly photos and video sometimes have potential, sometimes they are obvious fakes and sometimes they are far too inconclusive. While asking for photos is reasonable, I don't think anybody here has the right to judge a reporter's character solely on their ability to provide photos.

At the end of the day each person has to make a judgement for themselves to determine which hypothesis they are willing to believe and investigate further. I for one take posts like "pics or it didn't happen" or "fake" to be fairly useless, I don't need to be told what to believe or what to think, I think I can figure that out by myself. However, posts like "Watch how the orb only comes up when the camera goes out of focus, and always moves with the camera" fosters discussion that can teach people about how camera artifacts can be misinterpreted. That type of discussion is valuable.

-rrr

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
Pics is a metaphor for "hard evidence or I am required to skeptical".

Its a valid point but one often presented and taken to harshly.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

Originally posted by Hawking

Alright OP, last night I saw a glowing orb hovering over downtown Lubbock, TX for nearly 20 minutes.

I have no pictures and no other evidence and I can't find anything online about it.

What are we going to talk about in my thread?

Absolutely nothing - so why post it?

May not be worth posting, but is worth reporting to MUFON or another database service.

If three more people see the same thing in the same area your story goes from "hearsay" to corroborated real quick.

-rrr

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by Visiting ESB

Again, these forums are meant to bring out the truth, if possible. Do you really need a photo to tell whether someone is credible? In our daily lives, do we need to have a jury commissioned, a judge sitting on the bench, etc in order to determine whether someone is telling the truth? Do you go to every non-fiction book publisher and demand photos or a jury?

The op was comparing court to ats. I was merly explaining what would need to be present in ats for such a comparison to be made. I dont think we need a jury for a non fiction book or our daily lifes as you are insinuating that is what im saying.
A court system is more robust than ATS MUCH more in fact. Do I feel Ats needs a robust sytem NO.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   

Originally posted by PhoenixOD

How can asking for pics to support an unbelievable story be 'ignorant'?

edit on 5-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

Because it is the only acceptable means for some people to believe anything. THAT'S ignorant and shows that they have no capacity to judge testimony. When you can't judge credibility of a witness without photographic evidence and then claim that "it didn't happen" with absolute certainty -- THAT'S ignorant.
I am asking this in all seriousness...

Do you think a judge in a court trial would be happy to take testimony from a witness over the internet? Not a video, just typewritten answers from an unproven source over the internet.

I see something all too often on this site, where one member doesn't even know the sex of another member that they are writing to. And we are going to prove that UFO's are extraterrestrial vehicles?
edit on 5-12-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:34 PM
link   
the op is an alien and this is a dis-info thread

trust me.. im telling the truth.. ive seen his ship flying over southern california multiple times now

bright blue light that splits into 4 or 5 lights and the back into 1.. usually around 1 am..

totally amazing! maybe i should start a thread

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
"Pics or it didn't happen" is a meme. It's a little joke shared with people on this site. It isn't serious. OP obviously doesn't get the joke. Sites develop these memes over the years and, especially for those who have been around awhile, it is a common tie, a shared experience.

Over on slashdot, which is a site like ATS, but for computer people, one of the common memes is. "There, fixed that for ya!" This is done to actually fix a poster's stupid mistake or, in some cases, to change what a poster said to another's political point of view. Memes are like slang; they can travel. "My bad!" started on the East Coast and took a couple of years to move west. Now you hear "fixed that for ya!" other places, but it started on slashdot just like the "Wave" started in Seattle.

On a local news site I visit one common meme is, "He was just turning his life around." usually reserved for comments about criminals who have committed yet another felony or who pulled a gun on a cop and wound up dead. usually some relative or friend will claim some dirt bag was a nice guy and just "turning his life around." It's become a bit of a joke. Some people don't like it because they deem it disrespectable. Other people howl with laughter.

One thing "Pics or it didn't happen!" is not is "ignorant." Complaining about it is like complaining about the Pillsbury Dough Boy because it disrespects fat people or a picture of Santa Claus because "there is no such thing!" All it shows is that you're altogether completely missing the point.

"Pics or it didn't happen" has nothing to do with a legitimate sighting. It has nothing to do with the idea that we are alone (or not alone) in the Universe. For people to roll their eyes in contempt of this straw man they've dreamed up is insane. Nobody believes that. It has everything to do with "denying ignorance" on a site replete with it. The idea is that lights in the sky have no substantive value. They are just about worthless in terms of what value they add to the issue.

Think of "Pics or it didn't happen" as a metaphor for "If you expect anyone to pay attention to the crappy story you just wrote, then you have to do a much better job of explaining what happened. Saying you saw a light in the sky doesn't cut it. Claiming you went to bed with an alien doesn't cut it. Saying there are Sasquatches on Mars doesn't cut it." A nicer way of saying, "Pics or it didn't happen/" would be to say, "Please add some detail to your story."

The ULTIMATE expression of ignorance is that you don't get the joke.
edit on 12/5/2011 by schuyler because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:39 PM
link   
a few of these members agreeing with the OP are the harshest critics on here....

Stories and first hand sightings are great to read about. to be shared and taken with a grain of salt, cause after all we really don't know one another, and it's human nature anymore to trust no one.

But pics are nice to see, fun to analyze. No need to rip each other apart.
Just because it's unidentified doesn't mean it's either faked or of ET origin. It's simply unknown.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by spaceg0at
the op is an alien and this is a dis-info thread

trust me.. im telling the truth.. ive seen his ship flying over southern california multiple times now

bright blue light that splits into 4 or 5 lights and the back into 1.. usually around 1 am..

totally amazing! maybe i should start a thread
Sorry to have to ask this, but......

Did you happen to get any photos?

I know, I'm being ignorant.

edit on 5-12-2011 by butcherguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   
reply to post by ZeussusZ

Yes, you can. It's very easy for a trained eye to see.

Pics or it didn't happen is very intelligent and reserved. It simply demands some form of evidence. Hearsay is useless.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:41 PM
link   

by the way, S & F
very eloquently put.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:42 PM
link   

I've seen credible members ridiculed, mocked, called a liar for not having pictures of their UFO, ET, or paranormal experience. Such demand for photographic evidence is ignorant and displays intellectual dishonesty by the one demanding such evidence.

Yeah, credible to YOU!! I have not seen ONE credible person on here.

Have you met any of these credible people? Have you looked into their backgrounds? Have you investigated their education, family and working lives to form this title of "credible".....What's that? You reply "no".

Well then you whole post is void and just opinion based on nothing but asking people to believe or listen to people they have never met and take it at face value.

people NEED proof. With out it their is no way to test the evidence.

NO ones word on here is worth anything more than a fart from a bear!!

Pointless thread.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Six6Six because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:53 PM
link   

what makes you, the internet cruiser/squatter, so much more skilled at deciding the truthfulness of a witness or their credibility than a court?

There is no skill involved in deciding whether something is truth or not. Unless facts are presented. Then perhaps a level of skill to research is involved. However to say "this is truth" can be done by any joe bloe in the world.

It's up to YOU to decide what's true or not and decide for YOURSELF if what posters are saying is true, or just trying to derail a topic.

What makes you, the internet critique, so much more entitled to rant and presume to tell the rest of the internet how things should be perceived and taken in? Who are you to decide that someone speaking without facts, is in fact telling the truth and proof is not required?
How do courts have anything to do with a forum about aliens and conspiracies?

Sorry but your logic is a fail IMO.

No, i won't believe some guys story about Aliens without some proof. If they come here talking about how they met Aliens then they should be prepared to be asked for proof, otherwise they should probably write a fiction novel, cause that's all the story is good for at that point.
edit on 5-12-2011 by EspyderMan because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:58 PM
link   
I totally agree with you.
ATS the Conspiracy site! No More!

ATS has become a Debunking site.
All I see is the Top posters using the News Quotes
to get them selfs post POINTS.

while the True conspiracies,
Get most people trying their hardest to debunk and discredit.
and just like sheep the rest blindly believe the debunkers.

Why are the people on ATS NOT helping people with conspiracies?
I am not asking you to believe and accept all conspiracies.
just try to believe just a little. and give them a chance.

I would go as for as saying “Phage”
Is working with the Government to keep us all dumb down.
on this post Link
he brings up a little some thing to Try to debunk it.

but then by page 3 he is an expert at this kind of thing???
he did not know it before.
and it would have taken a days hard work to get as for as he did.
it took Phage under 3 hours.
from his first post, to the Expert in astronomy Phage.

Why would Phage go to all this trouble?
I say he is planted on ATS to Discredit posts that get to the truth.
the government go to a lot of trouble and
spend as much money as they can to keep secrets.

Sorry phage your cover is blown. take your cyanide pill.
This IS a conspiracy site! Phage IS a conspiracy.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:00 PM
link   
This happened to me the other day, I posted a thread about a bunch of military choppers flying over my house house here in Chicago and everyone was like, pictures? you're a liar. it sucked.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   
"Pics or it didn't happen" pisses me off really bad.

People are way too ignorant these days. Sometimes when you are caught in the moment of something happening
and you don't have a camera, all you will have are words. If people want to be rude then go find another site of this nature where that is allowed.

I like ATS and stories the members post. It's what makes this place fun. So don't ruin it......

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by ZeussusZ

can you really trust a picture these days anyway?

can you blindly trust what comes out of a person mouth, or what a anonymous person types on the internet?

I saw Santa Claus last night, do you believe me?

There were aliens standing at my beside last night do you believe me?
There was a UFO hovering above my home last night do you believe?
I have absolutely no proof, no photos, or videos I was the only person who saw these things, even though I'm in a highly populated area.

Do you still believe me?

edit on 5-12-2011 by StarPeace because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:12 PM
link   
Whats ignorant is the people who would blindly believe # because:

That's a EPIC Story

I wanna believe

Too actual replies in topics that were later moved to the hoax forum.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:18 PM
link   

Originally posted by FidelityMusic
reply to post by Phage

Growing up people will only believe what they believe with testimony from someone they trust.

From there on, people will only believe testimony which has relation to what they already believe.

Good point! Kind of like that thread a couple months back "33 year Air Force General had a conversation with me" thread. Really good story, but it was all hearsay. Take it at face value or for a good laugh, but that's a good example. We really have what we "Feel/Believe" before we take all factors and evaluate them logically, and finally come to a conclusion (un-biased as much as possible) based on the evidence. Pictures are always a plus. People will debunk/deny right off the bat. People will also do the "It's possible, so if it MIGHT be true it's MOST LIKELY TRUE." The whole "Is the glass half empty or half full" perception. Pictures are always a plus, especially on a forum where all information received via "Visual(s)." Your words are first seen, not heard like in a conversation in person where you have body language,word tone, eye contact, etc... So, on forums "Visual is first priority to receiving your info" Which in itself is a HUGE factor which we really don't take into consideration. Visual pictures/words are mandatory when communicating/convincing your audience visually, period. Audio communication is totally different than visual communication.

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join