It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ULTIMATE expression of ignorance -- "Pics or it didn't happen"

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:35 AM
link   
i feel like there is some sort of shift in consciousness happening on ats right now, either that or the shills are all taking a day off. i dunno, had a weird feeling all week. isn't a SHTF scenario supposed to be happening in the next few weeks or something according to some of the current 'prophecies'?

glad we're finally reaching a consensus regarding 'pics or it didnt happen' though. it's a step in the right direction for sure

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:44 AM
link   
I can't believe anyone on this website agrees with the OP.

First of all, "pics or it didn't happen," happens to originate from the /b/ random forum on 4chan - generally an excuse to get a girl to post a picture of their exposed breasts, or some other light-hearted trolling. I really don't know what else you should expect from the home of internet trolling and, well... a bunch of other weird e-culture.

Secondly, "Pics or it didn't happen," is probably at the heart of what the general philosophy is here at ATS - unbridled paranoia. It's a GOOD thing to be extremely skeptical about everything you hear, read, and see.. Every piece of information should be looked at as propaganda and should be analysed thoroughly and independently in source, bias, and material presented.

Calling the phrase, "pics or it didn't happen" "ignorant," when it in reality is the exact opposite, only begins to shed light on your own ignorance and willingness to believe anything that you want to be the truth.

The whole UFO point is null and void in regard to the thread topic. I personally believe in aliens as a statistical probability, but don't believe the bull 95% of people say. People tend to sensationalize and exaggerate their own stories for personal gain. Someone interested in telling others the truth understands that and provides absolute proof instead of stories. Pics or it didn't happen.
edit on 5-12-2011 by UnivoxSuperfuzz because: edit grammerrr arrr

edit on 5-12-2011 by UnivoxSuperfuzz because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:48 AM
link   

Originally posted by RickyVelveeta
i feel like there is some sort of shift in consciousness happening on ats right now, isn't a SHTF scenario supposed to be happening in the next few weeks or something according to some of the current 'prophecies'?

I know what you mean -- all my friends and I have had crazy personal, philosophical, and political revelations over the past few weeks. Even my previously ignorant family woke up to all the US SHTF scenarios... Economic, mostly.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:03 AM
link   

Originally posted by UnivoxSuperfuzz
I can't believe anyone on this website agrees with the OP.

I agree with the OP .
I also find the phrase ignorant .

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:13 AM
link   
reply to post by Visiting ESB

How can asking for pics to support an unbelievable story be 'ignorant'? The so called UFO community is jam packed full of attention seekers ,hoaxers and people who want to belive in aliens so badly that they dont bother to check for evidence and so get constantly fooled. People who dont go looking for as much evidence as they can harm the search for understanding as much as the hoaxers.

Ufology is the search for understanding of what people claim to see in the sky that is not explainable. There is not much to examine when all we have is a story. Without good evidence a critical investigation is almost impossible.

What is ignorant is when someone claims to have seen something with absolutely no evidence and then says "prove it didnt happen" or i "challenge to to debunk this". The motto is this website is deny ignorance not encourage ambiguity.

edit on 5-12-2011 by PhoenixOD because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:22 AM
link   
I feel I have to repeat myself for the sake of certain individuals who haven't bothered to read the whole thread .

Unless one goes around with ones camera focused on the sky , it would be nigh on impossible , due to the time scale usually involved , to obtain a crystal clear image of a fast moving object.
Even if one managed to capture anything at all , it would be more than likely be unidentifiable , due to the poor quality of the image .
Why spoil a detailed account of an encounter by accompanying it with a terrible photograph , just because some people find it hard to believe a stand alone written testimony ?

People who write " Pics , or it didn't happen " are truly ignorant .... Ignorant of the near impossibility of capturing a half decent image .

edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:23 AM
link   
This is from Captain Terauchi regarding attempts to take pictures in the JAL 1628 case (the English is less than perfect, the wording of the interpreter called in). The camera was the Japanese domestic version of Minolta's first auto-focus model, fairly new at the time of this 1986 incident.

I thought perhaps it is one of those things called UFO and taking a photo might help to identify the object later. I asked to bring forward my camera bag that was placed in the rear of the cockpit and began to take a picture. The area in which the plane was flying was unchanged but the lights were still moving strangely. I had ASA 100 film in my camera but the lens kept adjusting and never could set a focus. I changed auto-focus to manual-focus and pressed the shutter but this time the shutter would not close. Then our aircraft began to vibrate and I gave up taking a photo. I placed the camera back in the camera bag and concentrated on observing the lights.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:38 AM
link   

"Pics or it didn't happen"

Starred.

Pics or it didn't happen is a form of cyber bullying now dominating on ATS by a lot of the younger members.

There are also those who are tired of all the outrageous claims made by disinformation agents, insane loonies, juvenile mentalities wanting / needing attention etc.

As stated in my previous posts, ATS has changed over the four years I've been signed up and two years I lurked. The quality of the threads, the mentality and maturity of the people, in my opinion have gone drastically down hill.

Not all, some of the posts and some of the members are still some of the most awakened and informed people on the planet - but too many have come aboard and allowed to shut down OPs that could have possibly really led us somewhere.

I have had some amazing moments in my life (no, no spaceship rides to Venus or little greys thank God) where I did not have a camera (and my cell phone is the old kind with no camera - just don't use my cell).

Also, when we are dealing with the modern equipment available to the common man - it's for our 3d world.

Perchance 3d equipment doesn't work concerning other dimensions, or things happen so fast, picture taking is the last thing on a shocked person's mind.

That being said. Yes, yes and yes, so many lies, misinformation, outrageous claims - but, you never know who is reading this, who is posting on this and the timid person being shut down & bullied, really might have had a piece to the puzzle that might have answered some of our questions if we had but listened.

I wish people were a little kinder, a little more patient, a little more open minded on ATS.

Usually if I come across a post I feel I can't contribute too or really dislike, I quietly move on..............one example is religion - those that are very deeply religious are not going to really be open to discussion, it's a core belief and core beliefs in most adults are almost impossible to change.

I do tend to get over the edge with children and animal abuse, sorry can't keep my mouth shut there.

UFO's, David Icke, the alien presence on our planet......I pretty much keep quiet about because of the trolling and cyber bullying.

I've only seen one UFO and it was really really far up in the night sky. It was a little bigger than this period. But, it was way back in the late 60's, it's maneuvering ability and speed left my brother in law (who worked at McDonald Douglas and was a expert when it came to knowing his airplanes and jets) left little room for this (whatever it was) to be anything but human technology and he was a non believer. Go through my posts I did describe the incident that happened when I was around 11.

That being said, at this point, I don't care if some reptilian took me aboard a craft, gave me a ride to Uranus, there is no way I would tell any of you here on ATS or anyone. I feel for anyone that has had a real experience.

And that is the point, the one person who may very well have had a real experience might just be lurking out there quietly and not going to give us a piece of that puzzle because of all the liars, loonies, attention seekers and cyber bullies.

To discuss is one thing, to politely ask questions, but to ridicule, debase and offer these cute, short little witty sarcastic remarks have me visiting ATS less and less. I am finding other sites that now give me more information and people that have more honor and heart than here lately on ATS.

The flavor has changed.

I also believe and I know I'm repeating this.............ATS is the biggest conspiracy site on the web. Above Top Secret gets more hits per day, per hour than any other conspiracy site - people know something isn't right, something is a miss, but they can't figure out what.

The governments and those who really run them, those that are really at the top of the pyramid know that to influence people, you must infiltrate the common man's news source. People have grown tired of the news offered on TV and in our newspapers that are mostly trite or propaganda with agenda spins...........so they are coming en masse to the conspiracy sites and ATS is the largest one currently.

Proof, it's all around you, no pictures necessary.

The same bloodlines have been ruling over us throughout our recorded history.............simply do the research.

Most people I wager that are the chief debunkers don't really do long, profound and deep research. That is the key, you want proof - read, don't expect others to do the work for you.

The proof is all around you, no pictures necessary, simply put aside your many distractions and begin to read every book you can get your hands on concerning conspiracies and study the many videos out there.

Many of the newer people coming onto ATS are closed minded, proud of heart, brain washed and blind & no amount of "pictures" would convince them anyway, they would utter "fake" anyway........no amount of proof can reach a sleeper in the Matrix.
edit on 5-12-2011 by ofhumandescent because: grammar

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
Any nut-job in the world with internet access can join up and post whatever made up story they want to, I hope that we can agree that this is true.

The OP calls people that ask for something.... (not even proof, just something to check out other than the poster's word alone) ignorant?

I guess by that standard, I am ignorant. I'll be able to live with that.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:00 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Agreed.
It would be ignorant to just believe every story without further proof and isn't the motto of this site 'deny ignorance'?
Pictures are mandatory. I mean, we don't live in the 80's anymore, every mobile phone has a camera and i think by now everyone owns a mobile phone with a built camera. Even i do, my mobiles phone is 5 years old, i use it rarely but if saw something weird in the sky or elswhere, i would grab it and make pictures. So, there's no excuse for not having pictures.

As butcherguy said, every idiot can join here and tell a fake story just to troll or have a good laugh.
If i say "Whoa, i saw Jesus last night in my garden, he was taking a swim in my pool' would somebody believe it? No...same as the 'i saw a ufo' or the 'Ufo Armada over Netherlands' thing that was started yesterday here.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:12 AM
link   
reply to post by ShadowAngel85

So you think it is easy to capture high speed images on your cellphone at night ?
Ok , try this at night

1) leave your cellphone in your pocket .
2) choose an approaching car to photograph
3) remove your cellphone from your pocket and set it up to take a picture.
4) Focus on the car and take your pic .

I wager the following will happen .
1) the car passed before you could get a single exposure .
2) The image is so poor that if you showed it to friends and ask them what the picture is of , they won't be able to tell you .
Now Imagine doing the same exercise with a fast moving object in the night sky ????

Still think capturing a decent pic of a high speed object at night is easy ???
edit on 29/05/2011 by tpg65 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Thank you so much :-)
You can't really tell it any better.

Lets make a little scenario:

A average person, with family, job, husband/wife and what-ever, are watching something extraordinary happening, she/he is very touched by the moment.

Now, why would she/he even take a picture?
And if she/he takes a picture, what should that person make with it? Tell to friends? Yaay. . .

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
Oh, and I also just wanted to point out that I have had a fair amount of things happening,
but I only took a video once, where nothing showed up...

I don't bother to take any pictures.

Why should I?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:38 AM
link   
I think the phrase is overused too. I like to toss it around with friends sometimes. "Pictures or it didn't happen!" is a humorous response to tall tales. Of course, I don't really mean it....it's just a joke that I learned from hanging out in online forums.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:48 AM
link   
reply to post by butcherguy

Any nut-job in the world with internet access can join up and post whatever made up story they want to, I hope that we can agree that this is true.

Starred and I absolutely agree with you. That is why it is so very important to begin or continue to research, to read every single book you can get your hands on concerning whatever conspiracy topic piques your interest.

I do agree it is important to not become gullible but to try to keep an open mind, and be kind.

One thing to consider, 500 years ago if you were to tell the common person that man would be able to fly in big silver birds, one could simply go to the bathroom and simply flush "it" away, we could talk in a little box the size of a deck of playing cards to another person on the other side of the planet, that the earth was not the center of the universe, that ships would not drop off the end of the known earth................you would have been labeled a "nut job".

What truths are we going to find in the next 500 years if we don't destroy ourselves first?

I'm getting into quantum physics (simple, basic, 101 for the common person because I'm not a wiz by any means) and just the stuff mainstream scientists are acknowledging recently is mind blowing.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
reply to post by Okandetre

Very good reply and suggestion

A few years back, there was more in depth discussion vs short, cute little witty remarks that added nothing to the discussion.

And again, with "pictures" our technology based equipment is designed for a 3d universe.

We even now have in our military (2011) technology that can partially cloak objects / people.

What do we have technology wise we are not being told about for security reasons. Remember, the common person is only aware of the technology our governments release to us and not the "newer stuff".......some of our technology we have right now the majority of us will not be made aware of for about 40 years.

And with pictures, we now have holographs and with some of the Hollywood movie technology, you couldn't even trust what your 3d eyes are seeing.

Humans are so limited with our eyes..............a eagle can see 1,000 X's better than us, a bear can smell 1,000,000 X's better than us, a shark can feel your heart beating a mile away. Even on our own planet, our species (our eyes as an example) are limited.

I was once told, believe 1/2 of what you see and nothing of what you hear from a man that within one minute went from "ha ha little green men from Mars concept" to seeing a UFO (way high up, not close up) changiing over to "What the hell".............grabbing us and our blanket we used for star gazing and running us into the house turning off all the lights. This man was a top debunker of all things paranormal - just took him one sighting to come to the realization that just maybe we are not alone.

7th post down

www.abovetopsecret.com...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:17 AM
link   
reply to post by ofhumandescent

That was a very good post, and an attitude that should be embraced by all here.

Most members are nice about things like that. I admit to have questioned poster sanity on two different occasions, but I wasn't the only one, and I wasn't mean about it. I did sincerely care about the person's well-being.

Star on your post.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by ofhumandescent

Originally posted by ofhumandescent
One thing to consider, 500 years ago if you were to tell the common person that man would be able to fly in big silver birds, one could simply go to the bathroom and simply flush "it" away, we could talk in a little box the size of a deck of playing cards to another person on the other side of the planet, that the earth was not the center of the universe, that ships would not drop off the end of the known earth................you would have been labeled a "nut job".

Nice argument..only you got it backwards. The times you're talking about were the times ruled by the ignorant that believed in the myths, superstition and a book of tales called "bible".
The ones that set the record straight, by applying real science - Copernicus, Galileo, Newton, etc - were the ones that stood up and "denied ignorance". They believed in the scientific method of experimental proof and not in the word of a scientifically untrained "scholar" or priest with an agenda. They might have been the first to say "pics or it didn't happen".

Also, it's simply not true that there is no time to at least try to snap a picture. If a commercial airliner flies above me, it probably has a cruising speed of 500mph... and I still have enough time to get my phone out and take a picture, even the F18 that like to fly around where I live... they prob. go just under Mach1, and I could snap a pic... just look up and watch a plane fly by.. and you'll agree you can see it for a long time, even so it's moving pretty fast. In fact, the further away, the "slower" the object seems to move, regardless of its actual speed. Not to mention the reports of hovering objects...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:55 AM
link   
My friends (who happened to be bf/gf) were arguing this point when she facepalmed him, hard, right on the forehead. ((SMACK!!)) He yelled "What the hell was that??" and she just said "Pics or it didn't happen." and walked out.

top topics

<< 1  2    4  5  6 >>

join