It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The ULTIMATE expression of ignorance -- "Pics or it didn't happen"

page: 16
<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 06:09 PM
link   

Originally posted by tpg65

Originally posted by Violence
^Butt hurt.

You're never going to stop Pics or it didn't happen.

Maybe not , but we will politely remind people that such comments contribute absolutely nothing to this site .

Whoever comes up with the ignorant reply " Pics , or it didn't happen " , especially after the OP has stressed that for whatever reason , he couldn't obtain a pic , is nothing more than a TROLL

And you'll have to concede that if you tell this fantastic story without any kind of proof, it's just a story. Trolling goes both ways in this discussion. I'm more than willing to look at someone's evidence, but I've been using the internet since it's commercial inception and it's a haven for people who want to make themselves feel special and they're willing to spin tales out of nothing to do that, which is sad because I'm sure there is a grain of truth to a small percentage of these stories and THOSE people have been done a great disservice by the previously mentioned people who want to feel special, but make up a story to get that feeling.

posted on Dec, 7 2011 @ 11:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ommadawn
Hmmm... 14 pages of discussion about whether you need evidence or not.

Well, there's a great precident for this - it's called religion.
Or faith, belief, whatever.

I don't see a sign at the door saying Church of Above Top Secret, so please bring some evidence if you desire 'followers'.

Simple as that really.

Maybe I'm wrong, and this place really is a church, with poor marketing?

Now if folks started off each claim by sayin' "I BELIEVE I saw a UFO...." we'd be getting somewhere.

But they don't. They leave out the belief part, provide no evidence, and therefore confuse fact with personal belief.

Believe what you like or think you saw, but if you want more than blind followers you need something more. That's just the way it goes outside of the religious stuff.

Usually, people just want to tell their story. They probably don't care if you believe them or not. I wouldn't -- winning your approval is not the goal, so we don't have to provide you with the evidence you seek. Take our stories or leave them - choose to believe that we saw something highly unusual or not -- we really don't care. This is a forum for discussion. If you don't want to discuss, and instead simply want to brainlessly rubber stamp the "it didn't happen" BS -- go for it. That only serves to support my statement in the title of this thread.

The POIDH remains stupid. For example, I saw a cop pull someone over this morning. Do I have pics? No. In your view, then, I did NOT see that cop pulling over another driver. It didn't happen, right? How can anyone not see how ignorant that conclusion is?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:26 AM
link   
Yeah op, I'm sure we'd be in a better place without skepticism. I mean, nobody EVER tells lies on the internet.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 12:43 AM
link   

Originally posted by iSHRED
if UFO's are swarming in by the masses over the swiss alps, and someone on here is writing about it... thats cool, it makes no difference whether i believe you or not.

but if you post a vid or a bunch of pics of a mass of UFO's, ill think its crazy and tell all my friends to check it out.

a picture is worth a 1000 words

a word is worth... well, 1 word

Nope. Not always true. I recall learning about compound words in the second grade, but unfortunately the teacher did not have enough time that school year to teach us all the compound words, just that they exist and some examples.

So, no, sometimes a word can be worth more than a word....

disc low? Sure.
disc...lo....sure
disc..lo..sure
disc.lo.sure
disclosure

disc + low + sure = disclosure .... or then again, maybe my math is wrong...

edit to add:
Sometimes a word or a name can be more than worth just a word or a name...

edit on 8-12-2011 by ILikeStars because: cuz i dun edited somethin

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
reply to post by Wolfenz

Wolfenz... dude, you are a god. Thank you for that enlightening tour of the past (for me). I'm an old man and I remember the 1950 and 52 footage since I was a kid. I thought it was lost from public record. After many years you bring it here so I can see it again. Thank you so much. It has changed a little but essentially it is like I remember it.

There is one other piece I remember from my youth. I saw it on TV. A South or Central America(?) television film crew was somewhere in the jungle filming a show or commercial, when suddenly the camera pans up from the shot and catches a metallic shiny metal saucer like craft, climbing at a steep angle from the ground. The camera follows it as it rises accelerating. A cloud layer appears and the craft pushes right thru it, a sight wobble is induced by the cloud layer as it continues to climb away faster and faster. No noise, wings, no trail of smoke. Weirdest thing I ever saw on film. Haven't seen it for a long time. Probably late 70's? You could see it was shiny metal, accelerating, wobbling.

Any link to that one will surely show people as well as you have done here with the nostalgia. Thanks again!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:29 AM
link   
Conversely to the "pics or it never happened" people, I tend to doubt many videos that pop up every now and again, where someone is filming the road ahead of them as they drive, and the ALL OF A SUDDEN... something pops up and everyone's surprised. Unless you are so interesting that you require a documentary crew around you, or you can explain why you would be recording this one spot ahead of you on the road, or in the desert, or that one spot in the sky where it coincidentally appears, I ascertain that you expected it to show up then and there because (gasp) you added it in or set it up. That and I couldn't even get my camera on my phone up fast enough to get a pic of Ron Jeremy at an airport, and he stood next to me for three minutes (a creature quite alien to me; almost an oddity I had heard of... somewhat similar...), though I tend to trust those more if they are struggling to catch it in time, or catch it in the corner in passing, then whiz back to it to investigate further. amiright?
edit on 8-12-2011 by Wifabif because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Visiting ESB
I've seen credible members ridiculed, mocked, called a liar for not having pictures of their UFO, ET, or paranormal experience. Such demand for photographic evidence is ignorant and displays intellectual dishonesty by the one demanding such evidence.

I was born in August, 1974. Sorry, no pics.

These trolls are just setting you up for the "GCI" card. Don't feed them.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:35 AM
link   
...Pics or din't happen"...so they can say after the picture arrived that it's photoshoped..

Sad indeed.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:43 AM
link   
Agree with the OP. It does get under my skin when people put that " pics or it didnt happen" crap. Ive been accused of this myself, I witnessed a Triangle craft, but bc I had No pics most people just consider you to be a lier or someone out to get attention. It couldnt be farther from the truth. And even if you had the best picture or video, they would just say it was CGI, I guess it will take a UFO craft landing in some place were there are thousands and thousands of people to make Nonbelievers believe, Im not talking about ET's either just UFO craft, that are mostly likely our own people in those craft, using advanced technology.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 09:54 AM
link   
Forget taking the phrase "Pics or it didn't happen" literally. It's not meant to be taken literally. It's an old internet joke -- it isn't just a UFO thing. Here on ATS, it's basically a way of saying "Provide more evidence so we can confirm what you saw was really unexplainable".

Expanding on the general idea (NOT the literal meaning) of "Pics or it didn't happen", I see no problem with someone wanting more information on a UFO sighting other than a single eyewitness's account. A perfectly honest witness can mis-identify, mis-estimate, and be plain wrong. More information (such as a picture or video) would be helpful in determining the accuracy of the eyewitness account.

I'm not saying all eyewitnesses don't understand what they are seeing, or that all eyewitnesses can't identify mundane objects. Although there have been accounts of an eyewitness who swears they saw a UFO, but the eyewitness was actually seeing a plane whose landing light appeared to hover near one spot for many minutes and move slowly side-to-side, just because the plane was flying toward the eyewitness. I mean, we all know that people have made UFO reports that -- for example -- turn out just to be a plane. It happens.

Without more information , such as a video, there is no way to confirm a sighting is NOT something mundane. It just goes into the "we have no idea whether it was explainable or not" pile. At that point, the sighting becomes meaningless and forgotten -- and that would be a shame.

Seriously, how many single eyewitness accounts of a UFO sighting -- sightings without any other evidence -- are ever remembered, even by alien visitation believers? Not many. That's because they get tossed into that "we have no idea whether it was explainable or not" pile, and they become forgotten.

Unless you all are trying to say that a sighting is automatically confirmed as "unexplainable" just because one eyewitness believes it was unexplainable, or just because of that one eyewitness's estimate of the size/shape/speed....
...I hope you aren't saying that. That would be blindly believing in something, and that would be a closed-minded approach to UFOs.

edit on 12/8/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Soylent Green Is People

^What he said.

I'm not sure a there's ever been a better example of a 'mountain made out of a molehill' than this thread, or a better example of people simply getting MAD 'cause that's all that has really happened over these 16 pages, people got MAD.

I got 2 words for most of you: Anger. Management.

To the rest, those RATIONAL people who understood and supported asking for evidence: *THUMBS UP*
. You people are the TRUE spirit of "DENY IGNORANCE", you should be proud. NEVER stop asking for proof otherwise you're nothing more than a gullible fool.

PICS OR IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. DEAL W/IT.
edit on 8-12-2011 by Ashertron because: Added visual thumbs up

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:45 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ashertron

^What he said.

I'm not sure a there's ever been a better example of a 'mountain made out of a molehill' than this thread, or a better example of people simply getting MAD 'cause that's all that has really happened over these 16 pages, people got MAD.

To the rest, those RATIONAL people who understood and supported asking for evidence: *THUMBS UP*
. You people are the TRUE spirit of "DENY IGNORANCE", you should be proud. NEVER stop asking for proof otherwise you're nothing more than a gullible fool.

No molehill here. POIDH is the new "he's crazy -- he thinks little green men are here in flying saucers." It's not a joke. It prevents many from posting and it seems that you, and the poster before you, devote a lot of time trying to convince us it is only a joke. If it were a joke, why are you defending the meaning of that joke? That tells me you feel it is more than humor -- it tells me you find validity in what it says, that unless there are photos IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Anything that puts a damper on discussion of this issue -- as POIDH does -- embraces ignorance, it doesn't deny it and there is nothing "rational" about it.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:46 PM
link   
I think science will get interested in aliens when there really is evidence.

What now is interesting is the HUGE stories and impressive group of eye-witnesses. Can it all be lies and misinterpretations?

We have police accounts of alien space craft, military, airplane pilots... Certain people just dismiss then as MASS-HALLUCINATIONS. I guess the Norway Spiral and Chinese Airport UFO were also mass-hallucin... oops wait there's video and photography evidence.

Whatever the truth is, I guess money just simply rules the game and governments don't want to start investigating something that is beyond reach and only tiny portion of people ever witness during their life.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

No molehill here. POIDH is the new "he's crazy -- he thinks little green men are here in flying saucers." It's not a joke. It prevents many from posting and it seems that you, and the poster before you, devote a lot of time trying to convince us it is only a joke...

Sure -- the literal meaning of "Pics or it didn't happen" is rude, but if you don't take it literally, the general idea of it makes sense.

A single eyewitness account without any additional evidence can only go so far. It will never be considered a true unexplained sighting, because there isn't enough information to confirm that the object the eyewitness saw really IS unexplainable.

The best UFO reports have additional evidence (very often pictures or videos) that helps confirm that the sighting cannot be readily explained. With only a single eyewitness account and no additional evidence -- no matter how honest that witness is -- it can never be truly established that the witness didn't see something that can otherwise be identified.

Sure -- "pics or it didn't happen" is rude, but it is only good investigative practices to want more evidence other than a story from a single eyewitness.

Perception is a relative thing. People perceive events in a very subjective manner. Additional evidence such as physical evidence, picture, or video can add a little objectivity to a sighting, and objectivity is a good thing in any investigation.

edit on 12/8/2011 by Soylent Green Is People because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   

^What he said.

No molehill here. POIDH is the new "he's crazy -- he thinks little green men are here in flying saucers." It's not a joke. It prevents many from posting and it seems that you, and the poster before you, devote a lot of time trying to convince us it is only a joke. If it were a joke, why are you defending the meaning of that joke? That tells me you feel it is more than humor -- it tells me you find validity in what it says, that unless there are photos IT DIDN'T HAPPEN. Anything that puts a damper on discussion of this issue -- as POIDH does -- embraces ignorance, it doesn't deny it and there is nothing "rational" about it.

People who need said Anger Management - Exhibit A.

Look Jr. If liars and dis-info agents didn't exist then maybe POIDH might be inconsiderate but guess what? They do exist (and you are fooling yourself if you think they don't), and they exist in far greater numbers on a site like ATS so BEING VIGILANT (like POIDH) is absolutely necessary.

Yes photos can be faked BUT NOT NEARLY AS EASILY AS TEXT CAN LIE.

Just because you believe everything you read doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Edit - Also, if word ever got out to a place like 4chan that the fools @ ATS believe whatever you write and do NOT request proof, and even criticize those who do, then you could expect a tsunami of REAL, PROFESSIONAL trolls. Most of you (the need Anger Management folks) , judging on how you've handled just a single sentence of ANCIENT trolling, would literally EXPLODE with anger

edit on 8-12-2011 by Ashertron because: ^

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:58 PM
link   
This childish argument goes on forever, but its the Hypocrisy of the argument that gets to me.

Person 1 "God created the universe."
Person 2 "Pics or it didn't happen."
Person 2 "The universe came into existence by itself without any outside forces acting upon it, and evolution led up to the world as you see it now."
Person 1 "I am not saying you are wrong, but pics or it didn't happen. Remember correlation does not imply causation."

And the cycle continues with any number of subjects.

edit on 8-12-2011 by overratedpatriotism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:54 PM
link   

Originally posted by overratedpatriotism
This childish argument goes on forever, but its the Hypocrisy of the argument that gets to me.

Person 1 "God created the universe."
Person 2 "Pics or it didn't happen."
Person 2 "The universe came into existence by itself without any outside forces acting upon it, and evolution led up to the world as you see it now."
Person 1 "I am not saying you are wrong, but pics or it didn't happen. Remember correlation does not imply causation."

And the cycle continues with any number of subjects.

edit on 8-12-2011 by overratedpatriotism because: (no reason given)

Only problem is Cameras did not exist then so a picture wasn't possible, making both statements PURE speculation.

POIDH doesn't become a valid statement until about 7 years ago.
When there is a bloody camera on everything but the coffee maker then there is NO excuse for not having pics....unless you're Amish I guess...
edit on 8-12-2011 by Ashertron because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:23 PM
link   

Only problem is Cameras did not exist then so a picture wasn't possible, making both statements PURE speculation.

POIDH doesn't become a valid statement until about 7 years ago.
When there is a bloody camera on everything but the coffee maker then there is NO excuse for not having pics....unless you're Amish I guess...
edit on 8-12-2011 by Ashertron because: (no reason given)

You are correct,

But people these days would need both pics and videos from a camera mounted on a tripod so it isn't shaking..from multiple angles with objects in the foreground and background to judge distance and size, and notarized statements from at least 2 doctors saying the person was sane and coherent at the time of the event.

And that still would not be good enough.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:39 PM
link   

Originally posted by thepainweaver
Yeah op, I'm sure we'd be in a better place without skepticism. I mean, nobody EVER tells lies on the internet.

No one who uses the POIDH crap is a skeptic. Skeptics, a true one, will ask questions, analyze, weigh the choices between 2 or more alternatives, use logic to arrive at a reasonable answer. The POIDH people aren't joking and they aren't skeptics. They use that line for one reason -- to entirely discredit the witness without giving them a chance to explain what they experienced.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:48 PM
link   

^What he said.

People who need said Anger Management - Exhibit A.

Look Jr. If liars and dis-info agents didn't exist then maybe POIDH might be inconsiderate but guess what? They do exist (and you are fooling yourself if you think they don't), and they exist in far greater numbers on a site like ATS so BEING VIGILANT (like POIDH) is absolutely necessary.

Yes photos can be faked BUT NOT NEARLY AS EASILY AS TEXT CAN LIE.

Just because you believe everything you read doesn't mean the rest of us have to.

Edit - Also, if word ever got out to a place like 4chan that the fools @ ATS believe whatever you write and do NOT request proof, and even criticize those who do, then you could expect a tsunami of REAL, PROFESSIONAL trolls. Most of you (the need Anger Management folks) , judging on how you've handled just a single sentence of ANCIENT trolling, would literally EXPLODE with anger

edit on 8-12-2011 by Ashertron because: ^

To say an event did not happen because you didn't see photographic evidence is IGNORANT. Your inability to "get it" is evidence enough for me to know that you don't have the logic splitting ability that others have. Thus, you need a photo to prove something to yourself because it's quick, easy and requires little or no thought. You can't simply ask questions, ask for details, and then decide. No, your category of intelligence is satisfied only with a picture. Who needs to THINK past that, right?

top topics

<< 13  14  15    17  18  19 >>

join