It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Will Soldiers do if Ordered to Arrest Friends, Families, Neighbors on US Soil?

page: 5
<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:47 AM
link   
The Government will make sure they have people rioting in the streets before anything like this happened. When soldiers get the impression the people are dangerous, they will act. After they act, it'll be too late to turn back, it'll be war, soldiers vs civilians. Then, and only then will they realize what's going on, if they do.

Second scenario would be Foreign Soldiers would be the ones invading our homeland taking people in. But I doubt any foreign soldiers would dare to **** with angry Americans. We're not like other countries out there, so if any foreign soldiers are reading this, I wish you luck if you touch American soil.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by Algernonsmouse

Originally posted by tkwasny
When issuing a blatently illegal order, the subordinates are obligated under the UCMJ to place that issuing superior under arrest or they will be charged with disobeying the order to not place that officer under arrest. The courts martial will sort it all out after a full investigation.
edit on 4-12-2011 by tkwasny because: Typo fix

What if it is made a lawful order? I kind of thought that was the premise anyway. What if lawfully they were ordered to do so, would they still do it. Maybe I was wrong. The patriot act was a great way to kick off making it a legal order though and apparently they are working on making it legal to detain americans without warrant within the US I saw the other day?

I think it is more than a fair question. Will all the Sean Hannity and Glenn Beck devotees rush to protect some Obama loving liberal? What if choices have to be made and it is either family right or family left? How will that decision be made?

I am not a military basher but I am a realist. Rape happens all the time in the military so the idea that they are somehow better or more moral or more just than civillians falls on deaf ears. I know the military is full of humans just like every other pit on earth and I do not have faith all those humans will be compassionate heroes in the face of the option to watch a tree hugger die.

The answere's you are looking for are in here the UCMJ. Rules and regulations (laws) as soldiers we abide by above and beyond what the civilian populace must abide by.

UCMJ

That doesn't even cover half of the laws we follow there are entire librarys covering that but check out this seach and most general questions can be answered.

www.ask.com... -4F0C-91BD-DF389B18A8CA
edit on 5-12-2011 by Grimpachi because: added

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:55 AM
link   
Sorry to the OP but this is a pretty dumb question...

I mean only a moron would arrest their family under orders of the military.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:05 AM
link   
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

It is something that just will not happen. Soldiers from another nation are not going to come here and soldiers of this nation are not going to turn against the people. People should go talk to a soldier they will be more than happy to calm there fears but don't start the conversation with calling them names.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Grimpachi
reply to post by TiM3LoRd

It is something that just will not happen. Soldiers from another nation are not going to come here and soldiers of this nation are not going to turn against the people. People should go talk to a soldier they will be more than happy to calm there fears but don't start the conversation with calling them names.

err yeah i know its not going to happen thats my point. This thread is pointless.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:29 AM
link   
I think they will use foreign troops for their dirty work. They know that a large percentage of US soldiers will refuse such an order or go AWOL. I also believe that most of those foreign troops will be going home in body bags. We have a nation of people who are Fed Up with the crap coming out of Washington and it would be a blood bath. To conquer the American people, they would have to destroy most of this country.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:30 AM
link   
Irrespective of the fact that foreign impartial troops will be used, to answer your question, just look at the TSA and the exponential police brutality within the US.

(Wo)Man is a base creature mainly with interests almost exclusively in the immediate. Sure, they obviously won't arrest/shoot/harass their own family but many will have no problem exacting oppression on stranger or non-familial civilians. It's not necessarily because they're evil. It's because they're so intellectually submissive. Without scrutiny, they follow orders. With the right spin or red flag, mostly anything can justified to them. I believe exceptions to this rule to be the minority.
edit on 5/12/2011 by rexusdiablos because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:50 AM
link   

Originally posted by DAVID64
I think they will use foreign troops for their dirty work. They know that a large percentage of US soldiers will refuse such an order or go AWOL. I also believe that most of those foreign troops will be going home in body bags. We have a nation of people who are Fed Up with the crap coming out of Washington and it would be a blood bath. To conquer the American people, they would have to destroy most of this country.

. Okay I will play your game. Who is this they that you are talking about? Just how are they going to get US troops out of this country first. Please do some research before answering. There is a percentage of soldiers that must be the United States at all times. I'm not going to give you the answer I want you to look it up. How are they going to get foreign troops into this country without anybody noticing. That is just for starters but hopefully it will get your brain working again.

Same question to rexusdiablos

edit on 5-12-2011 by Grimpachi because: spelling

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:09 AM
link   
I believe 25% of gun owners in this country could handle business. If SHTF big time, every cabellas across the country would be handing out guns to people that needed them if civil war does break out. Everyone I know in the military said that most people they know, are completely aware of whats going on and will obey orders to a certain point but if it came down to it, the soldiers will choose the side their family is on and fight with them. Abybody that wants to pick a fight with America in AMERICA is making a HUGE mistake.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by starwarsisreal
reply to post by DaveWx3

But foreign troops and mercenaries like blackwater would

Its funny how many people believe the US military isn't almost entirely made up of mercenaries. Maybe the Civil War was fought with a volunteer army but the one the USA has today is a paid army.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
reply to post by Grimpachi

Hahahaha...... Now now grim, thats not playing fair. Leave them to their thoughts. Its amusing to say the least.

Oh yeah i will get with you off line grim.

Time for my post-formation coffee break! Lol

And goodmorning all!!!!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:25 AM
link   
History is full of people who thought 'it could never happen here" ... and died because of "it"... millions and millions of them.

Not saying it will happen, or that it would be easy if they tried but I have no doubt that someone somewhere has thought about it.

It's also very easy to say you will or will not do something while sitting around bs'ing. It's quite another to be the first to refuse and risk military prison.... or worse. IF it should ever come down to it there WILL be people who will obey without question. The military is made up of people. Some people are just no good no matter how politically correct you want to try and be. Some people are good, some bad, most are indifferent.

Regardless, it would be a bad idea. A very bad idea. Someone mentioned small arms vs air support, etc ... Please. It would be gorilla warfare from hell. From HELL. Think of us chasing Afghanis all over the place and multiply it by 1000.

Consider the resources the average American has at their disposal compared to the average Afghani.
Consider the 80 or so million armed Americans (that we know of). Many of those 80 million have multiple guns.
Consider to other 200+ million that can cause trouble without a firearm.
Consider that those 80 million generally have high quality, accurate weapons.. unlike most of the Afghanis.
Consider that many of those 80 million have been trained by and been members the very military they will be fighting against and therefor know tactics and procedure.
Consider many of the military will flat out refuse or at least do as little as possible so not to get put in prison..
Consider the sheer size of the United States and the logistical nightmare that it would be to keep a military supplied and in coordination while there are MILLIONS of people trying to sabotage your every move from every corner and shadow, possibly including your own military people.
Consider our entire military is only a few million strong. That includes cooks, mechanics, medics, etc ...many non combat rolls.
Etc .... It doesn't sound like a good idea to me.

As far as obeying a legal order, our government has been working on making it legal for a long time now....

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:27 AM
link   
reply to post by jude11

For any Military Personnel on ATS, What are you going to do when you are ordered to the streets of America to act as police over the very people you are entrusted to protect? In other words, go against everything that America stands for?

American people stand for good things as far as I know. But govt is not doing the same.

Those soldiers are the ones who were fighting in Iraq and Afghanistan , although they knew it was wrong.

I think , If they continue to think what they thought before , they will b going to act against people's will.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:36 AM
link   

Originally posted by Mythkiller

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
I believe TPTB have already anticipated this. I'm pretty sure there's a protocol in place whereby they plan to use non-US soldiers for the dirty deed. Our soldiers will be shipped off in trade, I suppose, to quell someone else's uprising.

I may be mistaken about that, but I have heard strong claims to that effect. I'll make it a point to look it up. But let's find out what our boys have to say, just in case they are put in that position....

BINGO.

They will use troops from other localities and countrys.

Those aren't "troops".

Those are "mobile targets".

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 09:51 AM
link   

Originally posted by ManBehindTheMask
reply to post by jude11

No jude I just dont think a lot of people are aware of the organization itself....

Also , some people might not be members just cause its not their thing..........it doesnt mean they dont agree with them......

Bingo. I took an oath. It has no expiration date. I don't need to take another oath to keep the first oath.

Now with that said, I respectfully submit that the initial question was a loaded, "leading" question. It relies heavily on the presumption that people are going to be asked to harass, disarm, and arrest "innocent" people. From what I've seen, life is rarely so simple.

"Innocent"? Of what? What may those same people be GUILTY of?

I'm within my rights to stand on a public street corner. I am NOT within my rights to stand on a public street corner and throw rocks at passing cars. If I do so, I can't claim "innocence" simply because I was on a public street corner, where anyone can stand.

The public you are presuming to be "innocent" is NOT the only public there is. The best bet for these "innocent" people is not to encroach on the rights of others and provide an avenue of approach to being forced to deal with them.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:01 AM
link   
They'll use foreign troops under the guise of NATO.

They'll tell you americans that the process is a JOINT operation.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_MislTech

We may have a lot of redneck with rifles, but it won't do much against air power
with heat seeking weaponry.

This is one "rifled up redneck" who just can't wait for the boys with the joysticks to put all their trust in their model airplanes.

Please do. We'll give 'em a lesson that the technologically backward Taliban never even conceived of. Even WITHOUT that lesson, they haven't been erased yet by your air powered 'splodey things, have they?

They started out with what, 15k soldiers? Haven't been erased YET? Whacha gonna do against 85 MILLION?

Better get them toy airplanes warmed up....

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:29 AM
link   
Soldiers ARE the people and if they are ordered to arrest people then they will not be allowed to due to the fact that that would contradict the whole point of having an Army and its purpose and those who ordered for it will lose their jobs because they've gone against their power and job description.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 10:37 AM
link   
Soldiers blindly follow orders. They recieve very complete training that instills a sense of loyalty, duty and honor to blindly following orders.
This is a solid fact.

No offense but ask anyone why they were in Afghanistan/Iraq and they will tell you they were fighting for "our freedom"..
Mention that they were there to secure mineral/trade rights and secure no bid contacts for american companies and they do not even wish to acknowledge you.

I believe SOME soldiers would see a problem with actually confronting a US citizen on US soil, but that will only happen long after the fact.
Blind loyalty will overcome any sense of reason.

HOWEVER, there are more US hunting lisc issued each year than solders in all the armed forces combined.
Ground warfare against US citizens will probably never happen as the citizens have many times more guns that the military, and we are already "behind the lines".

The ammount of LEGAL gun owners in the US is mindblowing.
It would take WMDs to shut win a war inside this country.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Well, like some have already pointed out, this thread is almost laughable in its portent..... Almost, except that so many respondents have actually stated that they believe the US military would violently act against the general American citizenry. Now that's disturbing for the ignorance of the real-world military that it points to.

As many self-reported vets here have already stated - persons in the armed forces are thinking and feeling folks just like anyone else, including yourself. Most have strong moral sense of what is right and wrong, and those that don't usually don't last long in the Armed Forces - where your thoughts and actions are often a matter of 'public' record. Wackoes, hoodlums, and haters are soon weeded out, and either corrected or expelled. What remains is a solid core of self-sacrificing, basically honest, and patriotic citizen-soldiers. That's what the American military is made of - bottom line, end of fantasy. American service members would almost NEVER turn their weapons on the American public.

Having said that, the real question is what circumstances would have to exist, to even allow the possibility of American service members using force against its citizens? The answer is likewise simple - circumstances so bizarre that there would be NO historical comparison in the US. Barring the possibility of another American Civil War based on geo-graphical region, the only possiblity would be one is which total chaos reigns in the US, where civilian government authority at state and local levels has totally broken down. In that particular circumstance, there may be situations in the future, where martial law is declared and the military is used to put down violent rioting on a massive scale or subdue armed criminal gangs that are terrorizing the citizenry. We are talking Mad Max porportions here - not the sort of crap that occured after the Rodney King verdict.

As far as the possibility of the US military acting against citizens peacefully protesting government policies, I ascribe nearly a zero-percent chance of occurance. For a historical example I will point out the anti-Vietnam War protests of the 60s and 70s. In fact, let's focus on Kent State. The reason why we even remember Kent State is that it was so extraordinary that it sticks in our minds like the Moon Landings. In mass protests involving thousands of incidents, and tens of millions of protesters across the US, the ONLY 'big' incident that occured is Kent State. That is remarkable and a credit to the service members of that time. The only time I could see American troops firing on crowds was in response to serious attacks by the crowds themselves. Even the American-trained Egyptian army held its cool, in the recent coup in Egypt. Note that in Egypt, the crowds did not attack the military forces or (more to this thread) vice versa, and a good part of it, was probably because the military leadership knew its soldiers would refuse if ordered to fire on peaceful protesters.

What's more, in today's world of the internet, mass media, and international standards of humanistic morals, its hard for me to imagine most armies of educated and modern nations attacking its populations without serious violent provacation. That's the problem with freedom and education - once out of the bottle you can't stuff it back in.

Keep your citizens in the dark, demonize and dehumanize your target enemy, and tell your military forces that you nation is responding to an attack on its sovereign territory - that's the formula for despotic rulers to get its military forces into action against innocent nations or peoples. But then, everyone here probably already knows this, and that's why we are all here sharing thoughts, ideas, and facts.

new topics

top topics

<< 2  3  4    6  7  8 >>

join