It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

The 45 Most Powerful Images Of 2011

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:51 PM
link   
Sure the year isn't over, but hopefully we can ride it out into 2012 without any other "events"....

Robert Peraza, who lost his son Robert David Peraza in 9/11, pauses at his son’s name at the North Pool of the 9/11 Memorial.

This sightseeing boat, Hama Yuri, was pulled 1300 feet from the coast and somehow balanced itself on a two story house during the tsunami in Japan.

Facebook played an extremely important role in the uprisings throughout the Middle East.

A protester gets sprayed in the face with pepper spray at an Occupy Portland protest.

Members of the national security team receive an update on the mission against Osama bin Laden in the Situation Room of the White House on May 1

Chile's Puyehue volcano erupts, causing air traffic cancellations across South America, New Zealand, Australia

A man sits in front of a destroyed apartment building following the Joplin, Missouri tornado.

Cars are abandoned on Chicago's Lake Shore Drive during the "Snowpocalypse" in February.

Two lights from the former site of the World Trade Centers shine for the 10th anniversary of 9/11.

Australian Scott Jones kisses his Canadian girlfriend Alex Thomas after she was knocked to the ground by a police officer's riot shield in Vancouver, British Columbia. Canadians rioted after the Vancouver Canucks lost the Stanley Cup to the Boston Bruins.

A monstrous dust storm (Haboob) roared through Phoenix, Arizona in July.

Firefighters of Ladder Company 4 — which lost seven men on 9/11 — perched together on their aerial ladder, watching a news bulletin in Times Square declaring that Osama bin Laden was dead on May 2.

FULL LIST:
www.buzzfeed.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:59 PM
link   
awesome pics, that new Zealand one blew my mind, I want to go there lol

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by CALGARIAN

911 was 10 years ago
who cares

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by WakeUpRiseUp

911 was 10 years ago
who cares

WWII has been over for 65 years and still shapes us today.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:03 PM
link   

911 was 10 years ago
who cares

People who know someone who died that day. For no justified purpose.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:08 PM
link   

WWII has been over for 65 years and still shapes us today.
Yeah but ww2 was about 10000000000000x worse then 911 and it affected almost everyone worldwide.

eta: clearly it didnt teach us much either

edit on 4-12-2011 by WakeUpRiseUp because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by yourmaker

Honestly tho is that any reason to make the entire western world feel bad over and over and over again for it.
Sure some people died and I feel bad for their families etc.. but theres no reason that 911 should have the focus that it does.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:15 PM
link   
OMG, who cares?, It's sad to see the type of people out there, trolls have no souls.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:16 PM
link   

Honestly tho is that any reason to make the entire western world feel bad over and over and over again for it.
Sure some people died and I feel bad for their families etc.. but theres no reason that 911 should have the focus that it does.

not in the context they use, no.
of course, that is just the victor re-writing history and shaping mass opinion.
I was speaking out for someone out there who does care.

interesting words, the western world. as if to be of a higher status than the lesser eastern, northern and southern worlds.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
You can see straight up that girl's skirt

2nd

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:24 PM
link   

not in the context they use, no. of course, that is just the victor re-writing history and shaping mass opinion. I was speaking out for someone out there who does care. interesting words, the western world. as if to be of a higher status than the lesser eastern, northern and southern worlds.
I do feel bad for what I am saying because I know it hurt a lot of people, but its simply not something we should be focusing on like we do; its sick. Your right that its all about shaping public opinion, its fear mongering plain and simple. Lol I dont think the western world is higher status in fact its probably a lot lower then the rest, but thats not how I ment it; I said it because the west hears the most about it.
I find it disgusting that people care so much about 911 yet dont care at all for the millions slaughtered as a result, people who had nothing to do with it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
Apparently the majority of all powerful images that were taken in 2011 happened in America

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   
Was picture 5 not proven fake? Cool thread OP.

EDIT: Fake as in it was stated as representing one moment but was actually of another.
edit on 4-12-2011 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:34 PM
link   

not in the context they use, no. of course, that is just the victor re-writing history and shaping mass opinion. I was speaking out for someone out there who does care. interesting words, the western world. as if to be of a higher status than the lesser eastern, northern and southern worlds.
I do feel bad for what I am saying because I know it hurt a lot of people, but its simply not something we should be focusing on like we do; its sick. Your right that its all about shaping public opinion, its fear mongering plain and simple. Lol I dont think the western world is higher status in fact its probably a lot lower then the rest, but thats not how I ment it; I said it because the west hears the most about it.
I find it disgusting that people care so much about 911 yet dont care at all for the millions slaughtered as a result, people who had nothing to do with it.

don't worry, I wasn't implying you ment anything with the western world comment, more pointing something on my mind..
I know you care. it's evident. you wouldn't be trying to expand your mind and others, if not.
and you are aware of it. there is a lot wrong, with everything. on the surface it's fine, clear and stable.
but dig deeper and you find that many a things are completely backwards.
I can point out 10 with ease, and it doesn't bring me any pleasure.
it's true, the soldiers fought for our freedoms, but not in the sense we came to love or acknowledge.
they fought for our freedom to build a mansion on a hill in the middle of a fortified continent.
to do as they say, and not as they do.

our focus, is driven for us. tv/social media/people in our communties that push the popular opinion thats needed at that time.

I literally just heard this woman on the news, "canadians have always been a peaceful country"
no we haven't. not at all. internment camps, war missions, residential schools, the deterioration/integration of an entire people. talk about being pumped full of opinion not based on fact..I love canada, it's people, the land, I don't love canada, the lying nation ready to jump into any war that we might profit from or use as leverage against our biggest trading partners. you're right, it's sick. peace out for today, going to go enjoy the rest of the night.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by usernamehere
Was picture 5 not proven fake? Cool thread OP.

EDIT: Fake as in it was stated as representing one moment but was actually of another.
edit on 4-12-2011 by usernamehere because: (no reason given)

I believe that's true.. but some newspapers make her look like she wasn't covering her mouth, er something..

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by ValentineWiggin
You can see straight up that girl's skirt

2nd

Come on, admit it.. Who zoomed In on that Image?

edit on 5/12/11 by Misterlondon because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:20 AM
link   
epic collection of pics. thanks for these!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:58 AM
link   
reply to post by WakeUpRiseUp

Got a little heavy handed with the zeros there. Though I agree with your general sentiment concerning the comparison of 9/11 to WWII.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:32 AM
link   
Brilliant thread..wow..some of those pics are really moving. Mind if I add some other ones if I find something of relevance?

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:36 AM
link   
Interesting that there are more natural disasters in there than anything else.

Great pics OP.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join