It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

can someone help me with a grant question...

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:31 PM
link   
Can I receive a grant to take workshops? I am a photographer and would like to take 2 workshops and attend a photographers conference altogether costing around 5-6K. Can I get a grant to do these things and if so do any of you know how I start the process. Thanks...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:11 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

Hello there,

Yes, you can obtain a Federal Pell Grant (among a few other grants that may be available in your state) if you fall within the limits of unfortunately, their poverty line. It seems you want to take 2 workshop classes, is this correct? If you attend a Vocational Institution, you will still need to attend at least half time and have a certain income for your state to be eligible. The US Department of Education has pulled back on the reigns lately when it comes to disbursing monies...especially at the J.C. level (Junior College), as many people sign up just to get free money (in the form of grants) then they drop out.

I would advise you attend at least half time (meaning, get your pre-requisite classes out of the way for future studies). Even if you do not qualify for a Federal Pell grant, there may be other state funded grants to assist you if you meet the minimum requirements of ACCEPTED TRANSFERABLE CREDITS to a University or 4 year institution. Also, you may want to consider at least obtaining an Associates Degree which is a two year degree usually obtained at a State funded Junior College. It has its future benefits, trust me.

You should visit the website FAFSA to learn more. Also, are you a resident of your state (what state is it) and will you be attending school at least half time?

ETA:
This is a very important question you have asked and hopefully, many others will reach out with similar questions. I can definitely assist you free of charge if you need help. None the less, good luck to you Friend

Okay, I see you are in Illinois on your profile. Is this where you intend to attend school and are you a resident of Illinois? You can U2U me if you like. Beware, I do not check often...just give me sometime

All in all, I hope this helps you.
edit on 12/4/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:33 PM
link   
reply to post by ThePublicEnemyNo1

Well...I think I may have a problem then..

I am almost done with my BFA..I don't think you can reenter a community college and receive any grants through the college if you have higher ed. The workshops I wanted to attend are SO expensive..I was hoping there would be some way to get help with at least some of the cost involved.

Thanks for your help though.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:45 PM
link   
reply to post by Neopan100

You are correct
If you have already obtained a higher degree, then Federal Funding is "ALMOST" out of the question, but not completely. Did you exhaust all of your federal grant allocations while in school previously and do you have any dependents?

How long has it been since you obtained your previous degree(s)?

ETA:
Also, I'm sure you have a portfolio by now, yes? That can be used to obtain other privately funded grants and scholarships...so let's not give up just yet. All hope is not lost
I hope you do not think I was being condescending by spelling out certain factors, as I had no idea as to your level of education. I mean well however.
edit on 12/4/11 by ThePublicEnemyNo1 because: (no reason given)

top topics

join