It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

A tribute to my old friend...

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+13 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
Hi everyone.

I've been a member on here for a while now and I feel I should share some news with you all.

Yesterday, I had to get my best friend euthanised, probably the hardest thing I've ever had to do. I never knew a human could share such a bond with an animal before I met Toby. Now I know everyone believes their dog is special and is different from others, but Toby truly was...

He made me who I am today and helped me through so many hard times. He had an amazing life but unfortunately at 11 years old, he developed a tuma in his stomach which prevented him from eating and was starving him to death.

I made this compilation of only a few of our many happy memories together, he was with me through the age of 10 - 21 years old.

Please feel free to leave any comments on how this made you feel and if you so wish, say a prayer in his honour. He truly deserves it.

To Toby, I say thank you. I could not have wished for a better friend and I will never forget the bond we shared.

Thank you all for your time.

Mike

I am having a hard time coping with him not being around. The daily routine is just so different now and I can't help but have my mind play tricks on me with hearing sounds which sound like him around the house. Please, if anyone has been unfortunate in having to experience such a loss, leave me some advice on how to cope with this; any advice will be taken as good advice. Thank you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   
I'm sorry your best friend is gone. I know just how you feel because I lost my best friend about 3 weeks ago. She was eleven yrs old, diabetic, almost blind, and I could not let her suffer through another bout of pancreatitis. It is so hard to let go, but I'm so happy I have wonderful memories of her.

Time does help heal the sadness and then the memories will carry us through.

What a beautiful tribute.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
reply to post by virraszto

Thank you, I am also sorry for your loss. It is very difficult and I am happy to have cherished those memories. It's so hard seeing how ill they are in their last few days yet being so strong minded and determined to act like themselves for your sake.

Thank you for sharing your experience with me, it has helped.

I hope we will be with them again one day, joining them on the journey they're on now.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
My heartfelt sympathy for your loss. Its amazing how we bond with a chosen friend, and how deeply that bond runs. When I left my abusive husband and moved back with my mom, I took my cat with me. This feline knew I was pregnant before I did, defended me in times of stress, and loved me for who I was, unconditionally. A few months later I had to walk the path you so recently had to follow, and I cried more over my friend than I did over the passing of a marriage of over 8 years. Please, whatever you do, do not let this pain close your heart, because there is already some special pet looking for you. I have learned this. A beautiful tribute, friend.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:28 PM
link   
reply to post by volafox

I believe our bond with animals can reach far higher levels than a friendship with a human. They are always there for us, defending us, listening to us and relying on our unconditional love for them such as their's for us.

Thank you for sharing your story with me. I am grateful to have heard it and am so sorry for your loss. Can't even begin to imagine how hard it must have been to be a part of that marriage.

I hope you have found the happiness you truly deserve and I appreciate your kindness in watching the video.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:29 PM
link   
wow buddy great job making that video. Made me feel like he was my buddy too ! What a great dog you had, and your dedication in making that video shows your strong bond you had with him. I've never had a dog but now i want to get one , wow have i been missing out !

Sorry about your loss cancer and death one of lifes dark sides that we all have to face one day . Its to bad he had to go so early. Hopefully hes in doggy heaven going what a great owner i had , took the time to make that video and share it
WIggling his tail

Thanks for sharing bud

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:30 PM
link   
reply to post by Shuzitzu

I have to say that dogs are trully a mans best friend.
What a nice thing to do in memory of Toby

Beautiful dog aswell.
I've had dogs since I was very young and I've seen a few go.
The experience was always the same, tough.
Maybe it's a bit early as you were very close to your dog, but getting a new one helps.
New one will never replace Toby but it will be the begining of something new.
You can show love to a young pup as Toby showed you love when you was a young pup.
All my dogs were different and I remember them differently, each with their own personalities.
I have a beautiful German Shepard now and he's getting on.
The day he goes I'll be broken hearted, but life goes on and I'll be there for another until the day I'm gone aswell.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:38 PM
link   
reply to post by yourboycal2

Thank you so much for your kind words. They have put a smile on my face. I am sure he is thinking that exact thing up in doggy heaven.

I am glad the bond we shared was able to provide some inspiration for you to get a new friend in your life. I hope you find great happiness in your life and thanks again for words

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:40 PM
link   
Getting a new one right away helped me. My first dog I had for eleven years, and she and I did everything together. She became paralyzed and was in severe pain with no good prognosis. It just about killed me, but I had to euthanize her. When I returned home and there was no one there to greet me, just made it all the more sad. I couldn't deal with the thought of coming home and no one there to greet me. The very next day I went to the humane society and got my next best friend. She helped me get over my first loss and now 11 yrs later, she is the one I just recently had to have euthanized. It was almost like the same best friend was with me for 22 yrs. They were so alike in so many ways. I am
so lucky to have had both of them in my life.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:41 PM
link   
Beautiful dog. As long as you have great memories of him, that's all that matters. I strongly believe friendship between animals and humans is a much purer and fullfilling experience.

You'll never forget him, and somewhere down the line, you'll think you're over your loss, yet you'll begin to reminisce for a moment, and the memories will come flooding back, and you'll feel like the day he passed, only your tears will be of joy. This is from experience.

My sympathies bro.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:43 PM
link   
reply to post by Dr Cosma

He really was a beautiful dog. I understand completely, we have never been without an animal in this house and I feel we should consider owning another. Nothing could replace Toby as he was with me through the hardest times of my life and my teenage years. He grew and blossomed with me, we experience the journey of life together.

I hope to again feel a similar bond with another in future as I know it will help. I know Toby would look on with pride.

I was so lucky to have spent time with such a special animal, (currently tears in my eyes...)

I will never forget that feeling.

I just don't know what to do with myself on weekends, I used to love taking him on his runs to the beaches and mountains of Wales.

Thank you for your time and advice Dr Cosma, I truly appreciate it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:50 PM
link   

I am bawling. I feel your pain. I had to do the same with one of my cats - Woosti. She like all my cats were dumped. Woosti was loving and very smart but she did not like being picked up.When we were at the vet and she went to sleep, she was placed in my arms and snuggled right in - she had never done that before - she knew and she knew I wanted her to drift off in peace and not agonising pain. I was a mess.

It was two years ago and it feels like yesterday. I still miss her soooooo much. Time will help but missing your beloved furry friend will never go. Just cry and be sad and whatever else you need to do. You can never replace them but in time you may want to love another friend.

There is a wonderful website dedicated to supporting people who are grieving the loss of a pet. I will respond later with the website name for you - I thoroughly recommend the site.

Much Peace...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:51 PM
link   
reply to post by ShedAlert

Thank you Shed Alert, I know of what you speak deep down. This video helps me to remember all of those happy memories and avert the sadness felt when having to let him go.

It was traumatic.. He was half way through receiving the dosage when he pulled away and the needle feel out of his arm still half full. He went to the vet's surgery door, wagging his tail (looking like only skin & bones) thinking he had received his medicine and he could go home.

I then had to grip him and push him back towards that horrible needle. I held him whilst they shaved the other arm, because the incident had ruined his vein, so they had to switch arms. Then they gave him what was left in the needle... I felt his body moment stop.. Then I realised I was the only thing keeping him up and he was no longer supporting himself. I lowered him to the floor as I heard his final breath and kissed him on the ear saying "thank you Tobe..."

Then I realised, he was finally out of pain. This brought some comfort as tears streamed down my face. Even the vet was crying.

Thank you again for your kind comments about Toby, Shed Alert.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:58 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

Thank you Amanda5, you really do live up to your comment, "Someone who really cares". I will take a look at the website as soon as you refer it. Thank you so much.

I am sorry to hear about the loss of your fury friend. I know they are always with you and will always live through your happy memories as Toby will through mine.

I am so happy I did this, everyone's kind comments are indescribably valuable to me at this time and I thank you for honoring Toby in this way. It means to the world to me and him.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:09 PM
link   

Hello again - the website is called rainbowsbridge.com

The artwork is aimed at Children but believe me they cater for adults as well. I stumbled on the website and it was a huge support. There is a beautiful story about a little girl who had two kittens that died. I won't tell you the end but the story is both sad and amazing.

There is a candle lighting ceremony once a week and for a time I would join in to ease that first stretch of raw painful grief.

There is a chat room that I would encourage you to join. I joined in the chat room and met wonderful people who genuinely cared for animals and the human guardians who are grieving. The site is a God send and worth a visit.

Much Peace.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Amanda5

This will be helpful, I have no registered and am looking forward to contributing to site's content and hopefully helping others through my experience.

Thank you Amanda5. I wish you all the best and true happiness.

If you ever need anything in future that I may be able to help with, feel free to contact me. I am good with computer related issues in particular but am more than willing to share my help on any topic.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
First off let me say how sorry I am for your loss.. but so happy that you and Tobey had the opportunity to meet ,and share so many great memories together.

The video is a beautiful tribute....and I think Tobey would be proud.. as well as honored by it.

You sound like a great pet owner..and someday some other lucky dog will be able to share his life in your company and care...and maybe even be a best friend to your child.

The stages of grief I imagine vary, but I think you could find some excellent help on certain websites like another member suggested.

A toast to TOBEY..!! May the great memories and love you shared with those around you.. live long in the hearts of those who loved and knew you best.

edit on 4-12-2011 by gabby2011 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:46 PM
link   

Originally posted by gabby2011
.. but so happy that you and Tobey had the opportunity to meet ,and share so many great memories together.

I will always remember that. I share in your toast! Thank you gabby2011, you are a great person!

I will cherish this thread, truly.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   

I just did the same for my old girl "Wiggles", she was a Chinese Sharpei 16 years old.
I have not and will not weep her absence, I do miss her terribly every time I look out the bedroom door.
I wonder where she got off to, and then remember oh yeah, that's where.
Wiggles as well as your best buddy Toby are on to their next adventure I believe.
Alot of good memories so I am sure you have many yourself, as is apparent by the pics of said smiling dog in your video.
I hope you do know that all dogs can be that good, maybe not the same but just as good.
This is why all doggies rock, they can all perform these miracles of friendship and loyalty at the drop of a hat.
Someday you and your best buddie will catch up.
Good song for the vid btw.
I raise my coffee cup and proclaim "TOBY", he was a good dog!
I can say this as I know that he must have been a kindred soul to my Wiggles.
If you feel a need to repay some of what Your buddy gave to you, consider adoptng another dog as good homes are hard to find, but yours seems like it is one.
There are many best buddies out there who haven't found theirs yet.
You could be a miracle for one.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:58 PM
link   
reply to post by g146541

16 years! Wow, Wiggles, good on you old gal!
I admire your strength and positive thinking for it is inspriational. I can't imagine the strength it takes to not mourn the loss.

One day I believe I will be ready to share similar experiences with another in future. I will relish the opportunity to be as to good them as Toby was to me.

Thank you for your contribution and for raising your coffee! It is truly an honour!

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join