It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Looking To Filter Your Tap Water? Brita And PUR Leave "Healthy" Levels Of Flouride

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:01 PM
link   
I was looking into purchasing a water filter, and after careful examination I determined both Brita and PUR water filters clearly state they are able to filter 99% of harmful contaminants from tap water. Yet their definition of "harmful" is misleading, because in small print it clearly states they are able to leave "healthy levels" of flouride in the filtered water.

WHAT?!! Healthy levels? There is no "healthy level!" Needless to say, I did not purchase one of these generic water filters, and am now looking into a reverse osmosis system. So if you are looking to purchase one of these yourself, BEWARE!

WATER FILTERS: One way to avoid fluoride from the tap is to purchase a water filter. However, most water filters will not effectively remove fluoride. For instance, Brita filters will NOT remove fluoride. The two types of filters which will reliably remove more than 90% of the fluoride are reverse-osmosis filters and activated alumina filters. Thus, if you are looking for a filter to remove fluoride, make sure it uses "reverse-osmosis" or "activated alumina" technology.

Source

edit on 4-12-2011 by v1rtu0s0 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:04 PM
link   
Thanks for the info and heads up. Any thoughts on the Zero Water Filter System?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
The water where I live is just this side of caustic. It eats through dishwashers, drainpipes, and tastes terrible! I've used the water filters mentioned, and they don't do a thing for this fluid that passes for water. Zerowater brand, however, really impressed me! You get a free water tester with your unit, and you can test the water before and after your filtering process to see how much better it is... and yes, it made a world of difference! My meter read over 900 particles per million, which is awful, and means that I will have to replace my filters far more often than everybody else, but at least the water is drinkable now, and I don't have to buy bottled water anymore. Zerowater costs more than everybody else, but it is also far more effective.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:08 PM
link   
Just FYI I use ZeroWater and it removed ALL dissolved solids from your tap water.

None of the other water filters do this. I pay about $23 for a single filter (lasts me about 3 months, but I have VERY contaminated water (160-200 TDS before filtration - 0 TDS after.)

You can get the cost of filters down quite a bit by buying in bulk.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
first the brita then the flouride filters and then the ceramic filters
the brita helps to cheeply extrend the life of the expensive filters and it helps keep crap out of the first tank in the ceramic filter system

after 6 months not a spec on my kettle element

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   
reply to post by v1rtu0s0

The thing with reverse osmosis filters is that it takes everything even vital minerals out of the water and isn't really that goof for you. Who knows what long term damage will be done??

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   

Originally posted by DAZ21

The thing with reverse osmosis filters is that it takes everything even vital minerals out of the water and isn't really that goof for you. Who knows what long term damage will be done??

RO is fine if you are eating a healthy diet. Make sure you're getting your mineral and vitamin intake from foods and even a daily vitamin if you need it, and you can drink pure water.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:14 PM
link   
i add himylaian salt which has every mineral in it i think to my coffee pot

where is that darned spell checker...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:17 PM
link   
We are fast approaching 2012, where supposedly a secular society is upheld, one of freedom and knowledge where science trumps rumor.

Yet we have companies, and officials claiming that Sodium Fluoride has "heatlhy levels", when Sodium Fluoride is considered to be more hazardous than Lead. I wonder what the "safe levels" of Lead are if you freely add it to water supplies like Fluoride?

I'm guessing the answer to that is, "None, you are insane sir."

What gives? I think people just feel powerless to stop something like this, what are outlets to prevent it? We all know that 'voting' has about the same effect as choosing a specific path to walk into the same slaughterhouse.

Originally posted by DAZ21

Thing is, that's not proven, and there is very little evidence that RO water is "bad for you" or "does damage", specifically the rumors that it "leeches vitamins from your body". I would agree that if you choose to drink RO "pure" water, than you should keep a balanced diet rich in nutrients. If you're relying on 'water' to be your main source of nutrients and minerals, then water should be the least of your concerns.
edit on 4-12-2011 by SyphonX because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
reply to post by SyphonX

You could attempt to get it on the ballot at a city, county, or state level with petitions. In my state it's 25000 signatures (with requirements for amounts of signatures for each county) to get an item put on the ballot.

It's a lot of work, and requires a lot of people working together. I really think the only way we'll ever get fluoride removed in the USA is by banning it at the local level everywhere possible until an avalanche effect occurs.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:24 PM
link   
If you really start digging into the hydro-engineering realm you'll find a lot of conflicting info. I won't bother with my theory of why but I can tell you RO won't cut it. Flouride is tricky and is one of those things, "fire with fire". As slightly mentioned, aluminum is about the only way to remove it conventionally. Then it becomes a quality of filter (construction) issue.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:44 PM
link   
them telling you it "leaves safe" amounts of Fluoride is their way of saying it cannot remove fluoride. As for RO I have worked on many waste water treatment plants, building new ones to total upgrades, I am an electrician just to clarify and the idea of RO is to take everything out of the water it is the final step in in the process and the processed water is to go in the ground at locations where it is not supposed to be introduced to public water sources for 10 years that is the time they believe it will take to rebuild naturally with minerals also people don't like the idea of toilet to tap but they have two choices us there water more wisely or pay more for someone to clean it and sell it back to you this applies to everyone yes even your well will dry up for example pour water in a glass use straw and suck it out you will see how your well works all you have left is what you "pass through you" you can buy water from someone else or get your "body passed through waste" cleaned up.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:48 PM
link   
reply to post by Danbones

highlight the word in question and right click it will show you the correct spelling then click the word you are trying to spell hope that helps

P.S .does this count as my 20th post yeah "happy dancing" just picture the two guys on perfect strangers an old tv show from the 80s
edit on 4-12-2011 by vesco because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:01 PM
link   
Theyre maniacs.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:33 PM
link   

I still have yet to purchase, but British Berkefeld ("Berkie") has some excellent water filtration systems, with additional fluoride filters you can add to them.

No power required, long-life & cleanable filters...I definitely want to pick one up sometime. The Ecoloblue systems may also be worth looking into, as they're essential modified dehumidifiers and just pull water out of the air sans-fluoride.

Take care.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:56 PM
link   

Originally posted by Praetorius

I still have yet to purchase, but British Berkefeld ("Berkie") has some excellent water filtration systems, with additional fluoride filters you can add to them.

No power required, long-life & cleanable filters...I definitely want to pick one up sometime. The Ecoloblue systems may also be worth looking into, as they're essential modified dehumidifiers and just pull water out of the air sans-fluoride.

Take care.

Thanks for the tip, I'll be looking into this.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:44 PM
link   

I concur with the berkey and additional fl filters. If you are working with a limited budget this will get you the most bang for you buck.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:57 PM
link   
I personally don't give a what they are claiming. To get accurate information, you start with a search online or in a book. If you go to a damn store to see what products for sale tell you, then you are setting yourself up to spend money based on a seller's claims.

Anyone who does an hour's worth of sorting through what clean water actually is would find that reverse osmosis is the answer.

Advertisers lie? Grass is green? Sky, blue?

Settle down already. Only an already lost person would fall for that.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:30 AM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Just FYI I use ZeroWater and it removed ALL dissolved solids from your tap water.

None of the other water filters do this. I pay about $23 for a single filter (lasts me about 3 months, but I have VERY contaminated water (160-200 TDS before filtration - 0 TDS after.)

If it removes dissolved solids, it is a good filter.

One of the most popular filters here is called "Puratap". Far from pure. It is a clever way to make people believe their tap water is "pure" and therefore safe to drink. Around two years ago, they ran a radio ad bragging that their filters don't remove fluoride. Never heard that ad again...

Here in Adelaide, our tap water is usually around 320ppm of TDS. Through the Puratap, it averages around 280ppm.

This is an important thread that everyone should read.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:39 AM
link   

Originally posted by NuclearPaul

Originally posted by TinkerHaus

If it removes dissolved solids, it is a good filter.

One of the most popular filters here is called "Puratap". Far from pure. It is a clever way to make people believe their tap water is "pure" and therefore safe to drink. Around two years ago, they ran a radio ad bragging that their filters don't remove fluoride. Never heard that ad again...

Here in Adelaide, our tap water is usually around 320ppm of TDS. Through the Puratap, it averages around 280ppm.

This is an important thread that everyone should read.

That's some pretty chunky water! If you can get it in Australia, you should check out ZeroWater. I just have the 23l in-the-fridge filter, but it works great and leaves wonderful tasting water. This is the only way I've found to have pure or near pure water in the house without a delivery service or buying an expensive system.

I have looked into RO systems and atmospheric water generators but those systems are too expensive for me right now. I will get RO in the future, but it's going to be a year or so.

One other thing about the ZeroWater Filters is that the filter cartridges are recyclable and you get a discount on new cartridges when you exchange them. I usually use the zerowater water for cooking, and we have a water cooler and RO delivery service for drinking water.

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join