It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Storsjöodjuret

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:19 PM
link   
Big-lake un-animal -that's what it means. A huge pre-historic reptile living in Storsjön, Sweden.
Perhaps similar to the loch ness'es "nessie"?!

Here are eye-witness accounts starting from 1600.
www.storsjoodjuret.nu...

"A strange animal with a black, snake-like body and the head of a cat jumped out of the trolls cauldron and into the depth. The "un-animal" was comforable in the lake, and grew to enourmous size and horrifyed people around it.
At last it was so long that it reached around "Frösön" and could bite its on tail.*"

* Notice here the similaritys with jörmungandr, the old midgaard serpent of asatro.

Eventually the people cast a spell to banish the beast.

Any truth behind this?!
edit on 4-12-2011 by Sorgmodig because: More

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:49 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorgmodig

Ah, the Norwegian Nessie, heard about this before.
Nice to read some witness accounts.
BTW, the link is Norwegian but just click on the Union Jack to get the English version.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by Regenstorm

BTW, the link is Norwegian but just click on the Union Jack to get the English version.

Storsjön is NOT in Norway but in Sweden, nor do we swedes speak norwegian.

Yes, it is an interesting topic indeed!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:07 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig
Any truth behind this?!

You mean besides the photos and videos of it?

I'm not really sure of what it is... Reptile? That's difficult to say, considering reptiles are cold-blooded and I doubt this lake is tropical. The creature is large, skinny, and moves slowly if not gracefully. It probably has a long life, especially if there's nothing bigger around to eat it.

It's obviously been confirmed though. I don't understand why there isn't scientific effort put into figuring out what this thing is and making it common knowledge though

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 02:53 AM
link   

Originally posted by Aeroe

Originally posted by Regenstorm

Storsjön is NOT in Norway but in Sweden, nor do we swedes speak norwegian.

Yes, it is an interesting topic indeed!

I always mix those 2 up, my mistake.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 03:24 AM
link   
Is a good thing that Scientists don't go there and investigate, you know what happens when they get their dirty hands in there. If they see it, they will capture it and kill it like they do with everything else!

Let it be and just be amused of the lucky videos shots of it!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:58 AM
link   
When I canoed over glafsfjorden last year in Sweden I saw some stuff underwater, quite similar. Since that encounter I stayed off the water for most of the vacation hiking along the coast.

It was very massive, a large dark spot that moved, long neck, it creeped me out so bad that I almost tipped over with my canoe.

After I hit the coast for a coffee break I just dismissed it as my eyes playing tricks on me. This thread just brought it back up like Aha!

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:17 PM
link   
Is their any know dinosaur with three humps on the back and a "cat-like" face?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:14 PM
link   

I'd hate to spoil the party, but perhaps this is a more likely candidate:

(Note the 'whiskers' reaching all the way to the ground.)

Here's the first video of one in its natural environment, taken last year at great depth:

BBC News article

Extract from accompanying article:

Extraordinary footage of a rarely seen giant deep sea fish has been captured by scientists. Using a remotely operated vehicle, they caught a rare glimpse of the huge oarfish, perhaps the first sighting of the fish in its natural setting.

The oarfish, which can reach 17m long, has previously only been seen on a few occasions dying at the sea surface, or dead washed ashore...

...Oarfish (Regalecus glesne) are one of the world's longest fish... Their strange appearance may have provided the basis for the sea serpent myths told by early ocean travellers.

Not only are they elongated, they also have a prominent dorsal fin which gives it an unusual "serpent" appearance.

Even if Storsjöodjuret is one of these, it's still one of nature's wonders!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:29 PM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

I doubt the Oarfish is it for the following reasons;

1) check out the weather in the photo with the people holding it .... it looks very warm ...... infact its near Mexico ..... which is very warm .... Scandanavia is very cold
2) the Oarfish is a seafish ie salt water ... the animal in the OP is from a lake ie freshwater

no idea if Im right but thats how it looks to me

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by johnrobca

A reasonable response. However I'm aware (from general knowledge) that it also inhabits the Atlantic.

A quick check reveals:

Oarfish are a pelagic species found throughout the deep seas of the eastern Atlantic Ocean and Mediterranean Sea. They are usually found at a depth of around 600 feet (200 meters), although they have been known to go as deep as 3,000 feet (1,000 meters). They have also been observed at depths as shallow as 20 feet (60 meters). It is possible that they move to shallower waters as they search for food.

Source

I anticipated the argument that it is a salt water species. I don't think that makes a strong case as there are numerous examples of creatures normally associated with salt water that can, in fact, be found in fresh water, such as crabs, and even seals (the latter in Lake Baikal).

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 03:37 AM
link   
reply to post by pause4thought

Yes well certainly if it can live in the atlantic it can withstand the cold of Scandanavia and yes I agree with that there are fish that can live in salt and fresh water, Salmon being another example. So yes your suggestions is certainly up there with the most likely explanation.

Shame though, I was hoping someone might suggest it was a lizard alien returning to its mothership in the deep underground caves of the Scandanavia waiting for the arrival of Nibiru
... oh well .....
edit on 9-12-2011 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 04:46 AM
link   
How could it possibly get from the sea into a lake?
Especially if it is so large?

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by novuslibertas
How could it possibly get from the sea into a lake?
Especially if it is so large?

I dont know about this lake but Loch Ness has tunnels/routes to the sea .....

whilst its possible it is the fish in the picture think the body height in the video looks less than the picture ... the video animal looks skinny in comparison

posted on Dec, 9 2011 @ 08:31 AM
link   

These lakes lay very far inland so I don't think they swam all the way upwards. Especially because the rivers and such can become creeks before arriving into the lakes which is extremely shallow. If such animal lived in such lake it would have been there since the beginning of the lake or it was put there by humans. Mutated gold fish?

posted on Dec, 12 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   
reply to post by novuslibertas

did you ever speak to any locals about your experience in the boat?
edit on 12-12-2011 by johnrobca because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 13 2011 @ 04:25 AM
link   

No, sadly not. I dismissed it as my imagination and fear playing tricks on me, which is still a possibility.
Although I've heard other people talk about the lake and 'things' underwater, the locals as well.

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 05:02 AM
link   

When I canoed over glafsfjorden last year in Sweden I saw some stuff underwater, quite similar. Since that encounter I stayed off the water for most of the vacation hiking along the coast.

It was very massive, a large dark spot that moved, long neck, it creeped me out so bad that I almost tipped over with my canoe.

After I hit the coast for a coffee break I just dismissed it as my eyes playing tricks on me. This thread just brought it back up like Aha!

Better not let my girlfriend see this, since we live right by glafsfjorden
There would be no more boating or swimming the coming summer lol
Never seen anything weird in the lake myself though.

Regarding Storsjöodjuret, I've always been interested in this kind of stuff. Remember reading some book at my grampa when I was just a kid, haven't thought about it for a long time. Thanks for bringing this up, had not seen the video from SVT either so thanks

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

You mean besides the photos and videos of it?

That's interesting. She say's the red square indicates boths cells and warmth, that it IS a live creature, quite possbily a gigant snake or an "un animal".
The only two snakes that exist in sweden are Snok and Huggorm, and neither grow very large.
I wish she would have said something about it lenght.

Huggorm

Snok

Their is also a sort of lizard that looks like a snake which can drop it's own tail if caught by it. The "Kopparorm"

I've heard stories about these lizards growing to enormous sizes but I don't know.

I guess a python could survive in scandinavia during summer...
edit on 14-12-2011 by Sorgmodig because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 14 2011 @ 04:47 PM
link   

No, sadly not. I dismissed it as my imagination and fear playing tricks on me, which is still a possibility.
Although I've heard other people talk about the lake and 'things' underwater, the locals as well.

Was it this summer that you were here? In that case alot of people talking about the lake might have been that a man fell from a boat and never was found this summer.

I lived near glafsfjorden all my life and never heard anything about some beasts in the lake. But I might have missed it, you never know

And about the connection to the sea, there is, but its a hell of a long way to travel.

EDIT: Miht have gone a little off topic there, in that case I appoligise
edit on 14-12-2011 by Azmodan85 because: (no reason given)

edit on 14-12-2011 by Azmodan85 because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join