It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Gas stove question

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:16 PM
link   
I have a gas stove and it is always going out to where I have to relight the pilot.

I have had gas in the past and never had this problem. It is starting to make me worry in a way because sometime I come home and it smells of gas in my kitchen and i notice the pilot light is out. I also notice there is some kind of draft that causes the burners in the back when lit to move about crazily. There is no window or anyway the AC or anything can get a draft where my stove is in my kitchen. It is REALLY small and in no direct flow of wind.

So is it normal for this to happen or do I need to get someone out here to look at it?

The light will go out while cooking which is a pain in the arse when you have all burners with food and have to take everything off to relight the pilot.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
if YOU SMELL GAS, that is NOT GOOD. we been using gas for an outdoors kitchen for over a decade never had that problem but sounds like a leak!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
Sounds like the thermocouple needs to be replaced. If you rent tell your landlord to get it fixed

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:42 PM
link   
reply to post by mblahnikluver

Wow that sucks. I would definitly have it looked at. I'd be afraid to sleep. Did you try checking for corosion around the piolit light, maybe run a wire brush around and in it. Sounds to me like the gas is maybe flowing to fast?? Or flowing with air...Any way GET IT LOOKED AT!! And by the way your stew pie looked GREAT!!!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by wlord
if YOU SMELL GAS, that is NOT GOOD. we been using gas for an outdoors kitchen for over a decade never had that problem but sounds like a leak!

That is what I was wondering.

My apt is an old house converted from 1902 into 4 apts. The kitchen back in the day was probably a closet and with everything else god knows how old this stove is and how long it's been here without servicing.

I had gas in previous places and never had this smell. It kind of makes me nauseous to be honest.

I was just relighting all the pilot lights and as I lit the pilot and turned the front burner on, as soon as I went to turn the back one on the pilot goes out.

I am in the middle of making dinner right now but should I turn the gas off behind the stove after til tomorrow? I have the maintenance guy coming to fix somethings so I will mention the stove to him as well as my landlord incase they need someone else out here.

Thanks!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:46 PM
link   
Get a plumber/gasfitter to check it out.

Gas is a poison as well as an explosion & fire risk.

It is heavier than air so if you can smell gas while standing, it will be worse closer to the floor.

Just get it looked at & fixed. Don't mess around.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Originally posted by buster2010
Sounds like the thermocouple needs to be replaced. If you rent tell your landlord to get it fixed

I have never heard of that but I will put it in my notes for the landlord when I call in the morning.

Thanks

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:00 PM
link   
reply to post by MidnightSunshine

Yea this stove is pretty grimy and in need of a deep clean underneath the top of the stove. I don't think it's ever been cleaned. I tried to clean the part where the gas comes out with soap and water to get the grime off but it's not working too well...

It is a pain esp when you like to cook! I am making dinner and it keeps going out lol
I got a new Vulcania clay pot at the thrift store for 2 bucks and had to use it!

Thanks the stew pie was actually pretty good. I was just tired of the same thing so I decided to try something new.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:05 PM
link   

Originally posted by chr0naut
Get a plumber/gasfitter to check it out.

Gas is a poison as well as an explosion & fire risk.

It is heavier than air so if you can smell gas while standing, it will be worse closer to the floor.

Just get it looked at & fixed. Don't mess around.

I will let them know first thing in the morning. Should I turn it off in the back when I am done then?

Yea and the other thing is downstairs outside in the shed (which is more like a closet attached to the house) there is a FULL tank of propane for the gas heaters that do NOT work. They are those old floor ones, literally from the early 1900s or whenever they started using these for heat. There is one in my room and livingroom. My question is, is it safe to have that full tank just sitting there? It's been there for 3yrs. My neighbor told me that when they put the new tank in the handle broke and their excuse is "its too old to find anyone to fix it" which is a total crock if you ask me. There are a few hardware stores and places for nothing BUT antique appliances lol.

So should that tank downstairs be removed? IDK it just freaks me out knowing there is a full tank of gas below my room in the shed just sitting there, full.

The heaters in my room and livingroom are like this only they run on gas...
st.houzz.com...
edit on 12/4/2011 by mblahnikluver because: add link to pi

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:15 PM
link   

you and I should be friends...cooking and Thrift store shopping are right up my alley!!! hope you get it fixed before the house blows up or you pass out from the gas

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by MidnightSunshine

you and I should be friends...cooking and Thrift store shopping are right up my alley!!! hope you get it fixed before the house blows up or you pass out from the gas

Haha two of my favorite things actually.

I get all my good cookware and cooking appliances AT the thrift store. Someone else pays the inflated price, breaks it in and then buys a new overpriced item and they drop the "old" one off at the thrift store and it goes in my kitchen! LOL! I prefer the older appliances for the kitchen, they work better and last longer. I also find all the good Italian and French cookware that I can't afford!

Yea I think Im gonna turn it off as soon as my dinner is done cooking..lol

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:35 PM
link   

Originally posted by mblahnikluver

I was just relighting all the pilot lights and as I lit the pilot and turned the front burner on, as soon as I went to turn the back one on the pilot goes out.

I am in the middle of making dinner right now but should I turn the gas off behind the stove after til tomorrow? I have the maintenance guy coming to fix somethings so I will mention the stove to him as well as my landlord incase they need someone else out here.

Thanks!

Definitely yes. Since you have someone coming, turn off the gas at the back of the stove. In fact, if I were you, I'd refrain from using it until you can get someone to fix the problem. Gas leaking into the apartment is very dangerous. Good luck. I sincerely hope all works out well for you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:57 PM
link   

Definately turn off the gas behind the cooker if it isn't working properly.

Where I live, propane tanks have to be replaced or re-certified if their certification hasn't been updated for three years.

Another name for a rusty propane bottle is a bomb.

Since someone is coming, get them to check out the tank too. If it's in good repair, they can probably just re-certify it.

Propane's more dangerous than town gas because it is nearly odourless and is much heavier than air. It can sit undetectably in a hollow in the ground for ages and remain a fire/explosion hazard.

edit on 4/12/2011 by chr0naut because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:59 PM
link   
A man jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on his back. As he's falling, he realizes hiss chute is broken. He doesn't know anything about parachutes, but as the earth rapidly approaches, he realizes his options are limited; he takes off the parachute and tries to fix it himself on the way down. The wind is ripping past his face, he's dropping like a rock, and at 5000 feet, another man goes shooting up past him. In desperation, the man with the chute looks up and yells, "Hey do you know anything about parachutes?!"

The guy flying up looks down and yells, "No, do you know anything about gas stoves?!"

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by Ex_CT2
A man jumps out of an airplane with a parachute on his back. As he's falling, he realizes hiss chute is broken. He doesn't know anything about parachutes, but as the earth rapidly approaches, he realizes his options are limited; he takes off the parachute and tries to fix it himself on the way down. The wind is ripping past his face, he's dropping like a rock, and at 5000 feet, another man goes shooting up past him. In desperation, the man with the chute looks up and yells, "Hey do you know anything about parachutes?!"

The guy flying up looks down and yells, "No, do you know anything about gas stoves?!"

Said it better than the rest of us!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:52 PM
link   
Hi, I just wanted to let you know that appliance repair can be complicated. Since you rent it is the responsibility of the landlord to fix the problem.

First: just in case FYI...

If you live in the USA then almost every state has a web site for the department of real-estate. Here you can find out the obligations of the landlord, if the landlord does not fix the issue then you are entitled to move or fix the issue yourself (if a health issue exists or safety issue exists) and withhold rent in the amount of the repair or the monthly rent which is ever greater. Usually this is a TEN day period in which you have to allow the landlord to fix the problem once notified in writing. Document this... This is not true in all states but is true in most states.

Second: Appliance repair...

In an older stove that has standing pilots usually it is because of grease or dirt in the pilot assembly.
Pilot assembly's can be taken apart and cleaned.
The thermo-couple is often a problem as mentioned before.
There is also a gas regulator that can cause this issue.
The venture tubes them self may have been miss-aligned do to cleaning under the stove hood.
The gas manifold in older stoves can be adjusted and do wear out.
The buildings gas main has a regulator as well, on the bottom is a screen, this can be plugged or partially blocked or simply bad.

Third: the photo of the wall heater...

This wall heater is operated by a boiler that heats water into steam; it is possible that the boiler itself is fired by propane. Again this is the responsibility of your landlord, and these can be quite dangerous even leathal.

Good Luck to you.

new topics

top topics

join