It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

SUPER GREAT NEWS!

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:11 PM
link   
Congratulations to you both. Dj, well deserved...you're the best!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:14 PM
link   
The New Bull In The China Shop

Thanks for both the cheers and jeers. I learn from all of them.

There's a lot of perks that come with the job, even as the new Junior Deputy Assistant Under-Admin, Fourth Class (okay, I just made that up), and when the owners handed me the Key to the Executive Washroom, I was very excited. When they immediately followed that up by handing me a mop and bucket to go along with it, I was perhaps a little less excited, but still, come on... Executive Washroom, baby!

Of course as Executive Admin, Djarums gets a corner office, a company car and (I suspect) a country club membership or two, so I should probably kiss up and see if I can become his golf caddy.

So what's being an ATS admin like?

Well, the first thing I had to do is see what all those extra buttons are for. I mean hey, carpe carpum,* take the initiative and learn by doing, right?

So I see this button labeled DEATH RAY. Death Ray? Hmm, this looks interesting. Of course I figured it was just a gag, and that it would pop up a Rick Astley video or something. There was even a little note underneath that said WARNING: DO NOT PUSH. So naturally I pushed it.

What happened? Well, let's just say I'm really, really sorry about that, Cleveland.

Anyway, if you should try logging in to ATS in the future and find a smoldering, debris-strewn crater instead, I swear it wasn't me. Okay, it probably wasn't me. At least, not on purpose. All right, who am I kidding? Let's assume it was me. I'm sure Bill would be able to fix those sorts of minor boo-boos. Eventually. I think.

Aside from a few extra responsibilities and a modest shift in focus, my overall role probably won't be much different than as a mod. As a super, I always considered it my duty to support the forum mods, who are the experts on their respective forums and the best judges of the specifics. As an admin, I consider it my duty to support all the mods, back up the other admins and, ideally, not screw anything up too much.

And as staff members, it's up to all of us to not only enforce the terms & conditions, but also promote civil topical discussion, help members when problems arise and help make ATS a fun and interesting place to be (although it is our membership as a whole which actually does that).

On a slightly more serious note, being an admin for my favorite site on the Internet is a pretty humbling responsibility, and makes me feel like I might need to act a little more grown up from now on. But only just a little, and perhaps only when absolutely necessary.

Thankfully, I'm not on my own, and have plenty of backup from the team. In addition to the many, many valuable lessons I've learned from my fellow members over the years, I also have many great role models among the staff, and a lot of good examples to follow.

In particular, I have always admired the patience (which I have often tested), maturity (I'm still working on that) and poise the owners have demonstrated under even the most trying of circumstances. They truly are worthy of the utmost respect.

But I think my best role model was William One Sac. He was always patient, kind, understanding and forgiving. Despite having to endure a terrible and painful ordeal with cancer, he never had an unkind word for anyone. When things got crazy, you could always count on him to stay cool and lead by his excellent example.

He was the kind of admin I want to be. And while those are some very big shoes to fill, and it may be more than a little presumptuous to make the attempt, I like to think he would still appreciate my trying.

P.S. Henceforth, ponies are mandatory. I repeat, ponies are mandatory. That is all.

* Carpe Carpum: Seize the Carp! (in Very Low Latin)

edit on 12/4/2011 by Majic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:23 PM
link   
AAAAGH! More ponies!

Gasp, Flop, Choke, Flounder.......

Tis all good Majic, best of luck to you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:38 PM
link   
Congratulations to you both!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
What awesome news!

Congrats to both you guys. Well deserved and well earned.

As for the ponies, I get enough of that at home from my daughter. I ain't dealin' with it here. No way, no how!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:10 PM
link   
Congrats!

It's always good to hear people moving up in the world.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
Oh my God, I just realized the implications of the promotion! No one has tried to suck up to the new ADMIN.

Let me be the first, so none of my posts are T&C'd, nor any of my threads closed, or anything else that an all powerful ADMIN may choose.....

For that, Majic, I offer you a humble sacrifice, from my heart. PONIES!

I hope to never incur your wrath, Pony lover.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:36 PM
link   

Originally posted by Majic

P.S. Henceforth, ponies are mandatory. I repeat, ponies are mandatory. That is all.

* Carpe Carpum: Seize the Carp! (in Very Low Latin)

So the new evil fascist regime begins.

I hear and I obey, my evil overlord.

[atsimg]http://files.abovetopsecret.com/images/member/0e6e18cf33b8.gif[/atsimg]

Congrats Majic and Djarums.

I hope you don't let them work you to death.

edit on 12/4/11 by FortAnthem because:
______________ extra DIV

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:41 PM
link   
Congratulations. I don't know much of DJ but have thoroughly enjoyed Majic even if he is a brony.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:51 PM
link   
Congrats to both of you.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:07 PM
link   
congrats
www.youtube.com...
mony mony

there is a line in there about ponys

edit on 4-12-2011 by Danbones because: spelin

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Majic

Oh boy....

I see where this is going....

Now I'm going to be faced with thousands of long winded posts from the king of long winded posters. From this point forward I only agree to read the first and last paragraphs of your future posts.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:16 PM
link   
reply to post by Kali74

Haha...Congrats to you two. DJ, time to get a bigger TV now? Ehhh? Eh?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by kinglizard
From this point forward I only agree to read the first and last paragraphs of your future posts.

That's all you need.

I just use a random word generator to fill in the rest.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:03 AM
link   
Congratulations guys. I don't know either of you (on the boards) but I will confess to at least starting to read the "My Little Bronies" article. It was a bit much but then I'm scared of horses.
May your jobs be pleasant, and may your ban-hammer never lose its shine. I am sure you will both be an extra asset to an already great forum and staff. Kudos.

ETA I was looking for a suitable musical tribute but for some reason Pinky and Perky's rendition of the classic Cliff Richard song Congratulations is not on youtube. Ah well, I did try.
edit on 5/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:24 AM
link   
Congrats to you both, hope to see you around and posting.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:51 AM
link   
I was going to make fun of Majic and his stable of clopping ponies... But I live in daily fear of the Four Apocalypse Ponies... So I'd rather just say: "Congratulations. Well deserved! I've always looked up to Majic, as he seems to be an infinite fountain of wisdom and insight... I'm sure it will be used to make ATS even a better place."

As for Djarums... We all know him. And we know he is one of the kindest and most likeable members on ATS. And most of all: Fair. Well done.

[adminhide]For those of you that don't know: It's always a good idea to suck up to new management from the word go...[/adminhide]

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:53 AM
link   
Holy Smoking Ponys Batman.....

meh, that tired old Burt Ward gag just doesn't do it justice...

Congrats guys, very well deserved.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:55 AM
link   
That is awesome news indeed!

Glad to hear it, Could not have asked for to better people to take those spots.

Makes me smile

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:37 AM
link   
This is great news! Djarums is a great mod and now will be a great admin, as will Majic who's thread actually made me watch an episode of "pony". Man, didn't think that would ever happen, either.

Congrats you two! You make a great addition to the admin team.

<< 1    3 >>

join