It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

What Would You Do If Your Flight Was Hijacked?

page: 1
<<   2  3  4 >>

join
share:

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 02:52 PM
link   
On 9/11, many passengers took a lackadaisical attitude toward the hijacking because in the past the risks were far lower than the inconvenience. Hijackers make demands, there are negotiations, maybe some violence, but most people get out alive.

However, this was not the case as the planes were to be used as missles to attack the foudations of our economy, our Legislature or our President, and our military. The passengers of UA 93 learned of the plan and decided to take action and die honorably and bravely fighting to regain control of the craft?

Would you do the same?

"Strangers on my Flight!" Turn up the sound!

[edit on 04/9/6 by GradyPhilpott]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:00 PM
link   
Well, first I'd pee my pants!

Then, yes, I'd probably try to find a way to overcome the terrorists. I say probably because no-one really knows exactly what they would do unless they have been in a similar situation.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:02 PM
link   
Well i wouldnt be best pleased to be honest,

Not alot i could do, just hope death is quick and painless

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:03 PM
link   
If it was a plane with good 'ol Southern boys on it, the hijackers would be through..

Me being a good 'ol Southern gal, yes I would give them a hard time.

[edit on 6-9-2004 by elaine]

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:04 PM
link   
If you're going to die anyway (and you are), claim Stockholm Syndrome, kill the annoying drunk guy in the cowboy hat beside you to prove your loyalty and see if they let you fly the plane a while. Who cares?

You'll still be called a hero in the "official" version no matter what happens.

And you just might have better aim.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:06 PM
link   
I would make sure no one tried to rush me, making sure i hit my objective.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:09 PM
link   
I dont know what I might have done before 9-11 hell it used to pretty much just mean a free trip to cuba

Today I can honestly say I would rather die fighting than curled up in a little ball crying like a bitch

And Elaine I AM a good-ol' Southern Boy

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:14 PM
link   
Is anyone clicking the link in the lead post?

Here it is again, if anyone missed it:

Turn up the sound!

d21c.com...

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:24 PM
link   

Originally posted by Montana
Well, first I'd pee my pants!

Then, yes, I'd probably try to find a way to overcome the terrorists. I say probably because no-one really knows exactly what they would do unless they have been in a similar situation.

That's a very truthful answer. Most of would involuntarily excrete and none of us know what we will do in a time of crisis until that time comes. Giving it some thought does help to prepare one in the event it actually happens.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:37 PM
link   
Grady...first off, that link is hilarious.

Secondly, to answer your question...after peeing myself like Montana...in that type of situation where adrenaline is pumping through my system I would probably immediately try to be aware as possible of how I could stop them. I would look at the environment and try to think of something I could use as a weapon that is good enough to fend them off and good enough to keep me alive depending on what type of weapons they were using. If I had a feeling that if someone did not act we would surely die I would somehow charge them and try to get others to as well. Maybe trying to find something to distract them while I find a good weapon, even if that weapon is only my body.

Thinking about this...maybe we should all read some manuals on how to deal with this type of stuff seriously, and how a group could work together.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:43 PM
link   
Amusing song.

Seriously, if confronted with a hijack situation before 9/11, I would have probably been a good little sheep. Nowadays they would have a 6'4" 250 lb cowboy doing his best to kill them...no doubt. In my mind, I'd have nothing to lose. The rules of hijacking have changed and I'm not going to trust some nut with my fate. no way.
God help the hijacker who just wants to make a statement and needs an audience.

BG

LL1

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
American Flight 11, a Boeing 767 flying from Boston to Los Angeles.

United Airlines Flight 175, from Boston to Los Angeles.

American Flight 77, a Boeing 757 from Washington's Dulles International Airport to Los Angeles

United Airlines Flight 93, from Newark, New Jersey, to San Francisco, California.

Besides all 4 heading to CA, 3 to LA, the fourth to San Francisco.
The two flights from Boston, the hijackers more than likely figured there would be less of a fight.
Why? geographically people tend to differ, Boston residents would be different.
The Dulles flight 77 the hijackers probably figured easy, the time of day early morning, business passengers.

As for flight 93, from the tri-state NY/CJ/CT area=FIGHT!!!!

Now to answer this thread, I'm from NY=FIGHT!!!!!

You learn to defend/protect/and stand up for ones self here, you have to...
I would think... Boxcutter.... hmmm...
Spike heel to the head!

Boxcutter... hmmm...
#2 pencil/pen to cornea ya come to close!

Boxcutter... hmmm...
Ya come to close again, can you see with a spray of perfume to the eyes!!

Boxcutter... hmmm...
You knw the area on the flights where attendants have Hot H2O there... OUCH!!!

Just remember should the worse occure for you in any situation, flight or otherwise....
Look around... Anything can become a weapon for self-defense!

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 03:51 PM
link   
Howard Stern is a genius!! I don't think that post 9-11 you have a choice in the situation anymore. If 4-5 people hijack your plane these days, they are probably not interested in negotiating with the authorities. You might not have long to live, so don't get paralyzed with fear at that thought- you should be fighting with everything you have! Personally, when I fly in the future I will be carrying a jar of pigs feet, and some sliced ham lunch meat. Maybe I can hold the hostage takers hostage? Or in a mad rush take them all to hell with me

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:00 PM
link   
Personally, I think I think if every passenger between the ages of 18 and 65 were issued a .357 magnum 2.5" revolver loaded with frangible ammuniton, there would never be another hijacking.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:02 PM
link   

Originally posted by GradyPhilpott
Personally, I think I think if every passenger between the ages of 18 and 65 were issued a .357 magnum 2.5" revolver loaded with frangible ammuniton, there would never be another hijacking.

Background checks permitting of course
Right

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Jazzerman
Grady...first off, that link is hilarious.

When you take into account Sinatra's lifelong pugnacious demeanor it is all the more funny.

Thinking about this...maybe we should all read some manuals on how to deal with this type of stuff seriously, and how a group could work together.

This is a wonderful idea. It is time the American people and the government stopped acting as if the general public is a bunch of drooling nincompoops. We really need to start training our youth and our selves how to act in the event of terrorism and how to act in concert with people you have never seen before. It is not beyond the realm of possibility that every able bodied American could be ready to act against terroists in a heartbeat.

Gung Ho! is derived from a Chinese term for working together. It is a very high ideal for any group and should really become the ideal for all Americans.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
If all they had was boxcutters they'd get a full frontall attack going on the second they pull them.

Problem with the hijackings seems to be that the terrorists went into the cabin and locked themselves in there. If you lock that up right and maybe even baricade the door, theres litle you can do to stop them.

Alowing the pilots to cary arms in the cabin again could help in this situation.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:17 PM
link   
It�s easy to say �I�d be the hero and save everybody� but as has already been said, it is impossible to know what you would do until you are put in that situation.

That said, I would probably wait until one walked by my seat and attempt a shot to the throat/neck with a (preferably aluminum mechanical) pencil. Hopefully you can gain control of their weapon and regain control of the aircraft, but it�s pretty unlikely IMO. I do agree that the stakes are much higher after 9/11, an the possibility of the situation being resolved peacefully isn�t something that I would consider, even if they told us that they wouldn�t hurt anybody as long as we did what they said. One time is all it takes to convince me that they would fly them into innocent civilians again if given the chance.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:20 PM
link   

Originally posted by OctoberHorse
Howard Stern is a genius!!

I never listen to Stern, so I didn't recognize his voice. I wonder if this is Joe Piscapo. He does such a great Sinatra.

posted on Sep, 6 2004 @ 04:22 PM
link   
Oh my God Grady...are we actually agreeing about something here

Just kidding, but yes, people that use airplanes should be informed of what to do in that type of situation. Plus, maybe manuals on defence techniques, etc. It would be nice if passengers on airplanes, subways, etc. that are prime terrorist targets would know how to act as a group in order to either disarm or even eliminate the possibility of an attack. This has two positives...to combat terrorism and to possibly motivate passengers to get into shape (although I highly doubt the second). The only problem that I see would be that people would target "people who look suspicious" who may not be a threat at all, and then we get into a whole other topic about profiling, etc.

new topics

top topics

<<   2  3  4 >>

join