It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life from cloned bone marrow 'within five years'

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:25 PM
link   

This does present a rare opprotunity though - Velociraptor armies Reagan as President John Wayne as Vice president Patton as Secretary of War Caligula for CIA Margaret Thatcher as Secretary of State Jesus as special envoy to the Middle East But by all means lets resurrect animals that have gone extinct. I guess its one way to thin out the human population. This is just an NBC "the more you know" commercial waiting to happen.

If I where to clone Jesus, f.e, he would not be the same jesus as the one in the bible.
Clones are not identical mind-wise.
Although, the appearance would be somewhat similar. So "they" (the illuminati,tptp,bilderberg) could use a cloned jesus (or JFK) as a puppet to push their agenda.

Cloning humans should be banned. However, I do hope we get soldier velociraptors

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:29 PM
link   
Not to be a buzz kill but haven't we already seen this story about 3 or 4 different times over the years. The Jurassic Park endeavor has been undertaken numerous times. I think the last time I heard about this kind of thing being done it was a Canadian scientist trying to use dino dna with chicken dna...and that was about 4 years ago.

Keep trying.

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:34 PM
link   
reply to post by Sorgmodig

What about the cloning of Neanderthals? What about the genetic manipulation of Neanderthals to "dumb" them down to be used as, essentially, a slave race?

The argument about cloning Snuffleupagus aside, should we not have specific guidelines and laws in place before we run face first full speed ahead into this wall?

I can see it now... 10 years in the future, 2 scientists are running for their lives, being chased by a group of mutated Snuffleupagus with 3 rows of teeth.

The scientist looks at the scientist responsible for the cloning and says - "Anything else in the box Pandora?"

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:16 AM
link   
I hope they can do it. The ethics police will have something to say however it was a mix of climate change(pushed them into pockets) and hunting by man that killed them off so if we can kill them off we can bring them back. They weren't a dinosaur and nature didn't select them for extinction and the areas they were in are now national parks for the most part to my understanding. Bring them back and put them back. .

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 02:27 AM
link   

Originally posted by Xcathdra
reply to post by eywadevotee

How do we know if mammoths are more aggressive than todays elephants? What if their presence endangers another animal / food supply? When animals die out and are off the scene for a long time nature adapts to that absence.

Im all for scientific discovery but in this case I would prefer to have rules in place now tater than having to come up with them while velociraptors are om nom nom noming their way through downtown.

Well the hunter gatherers had no problem killing off the ones that were left after the climate change so I doubt they're going to go all TREX on people ( and I'd say that some people on this site are going to claim that they were a dinosaur and be wrong). Just remember that all they were was a cold climate relative of the elephant. In fact they're closely related to the Asian elephant. We'll just be bringing back what we took away.

news.nationalgeographic.com...
edit on 8-12-2011 by steveknows because: Typo

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig

But it could lead to playing god

Stop bringing "GAWD" into this. God does not exist. Stop being gullible and superstitious.
THe bible is FAKE and so is GOD..

And you're either FULL OF PRIDE, or STUPID. If there were no "God"...you, wouldn't be here. Look AROUND you...Einstein. We live on a ball of dirt and water, floating in mid-air. Go PLAY in another playground. This site is for DENYing IGNORANCE...NOT spreading it! There is no God? hahahah No! There is NO Santa!

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:26 AM
link   
Ironic that organisms likely created from genetic manipulation (humans) are now dabbling in it themselves.

Just my opinion, please forgive the heresy thumpers.

What could and should be a great scientific opportunity will likely be subverted into something nefarious like so many others, GMO and Monsanto being a prime example.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:46 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U

Stop bringing "GAWD" into this. God does not exist. Stop being gullible and superstitious.

Look AROUND you...Einstein. We live on a ball of dirt and water, floating in mid-air. Go PLAY in another playground. This site is for DENYing IGNORANCE...NOT spreading it! There is no God? hahahah No! There is NO Santa!

We live on floating tectonic plates which enclose a molten core. Those plates are covered in earth and rock and water on top of the earth and rock though in some places the earth and rock protrudes through the water.

The planet doesn't float in mid air it's caught in a gravitional orbit around a star.

Yes this site is supposed to be about denying Ignorance. When are you going to start to do that? Perhaps you can start by leaving God in the religious forum.
edit on 8-12-2011 by steveknows because: typo

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 07:27 AM
link   
God argument aside.

I wonder how they plan on getting around shortening telomeres. This has been quite a problem in recent cloning attempts and the one thing that hinders human cloning.

"Then, as the replication fork nears the end of the DNA, there is no longer enough template to continue forming Okazaki fragments. So the 5' end of each newly-synthesized strand cannot be completed. Thus each of the daughter chromosomes will have a shortened telomere.

It is estimated that human telomeres lose about 100 base pairs from their telomeric DNA at each mitosis.

This represents about 16 TTAGGG repeats. At this rate, after 125 mitotic divisions, the telomeres would be completely gone."

"Cells removed from a newborn infant and placed in culture will go on to divide almost 100 times. Well before the end, however, their rate of mitosis declines (to less than once every two weeks). Were my cells to be cultured (I am 80 years old), they would manage only a couple of dozen mitoses before they ceased dividing and died out. "

users.rcn.com...

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Where the heck is it going to live? Is it going to be released into the wild?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 08:41 AM
link   
reply to post by chevy369

It will probably be dissected and have its genetic code patented by Monsanto to make GMO corn grow in Antarctica.

I made myself sad.
edit on 8-12-2011 by overratedpatriotism because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 11:26 AM
link   
I just want to state for the record before I respond to the idea of cloning a Wolly Mammoth, that it is utterly and completely baseless to suggest that some supernatural or intelligent reason exists why the mammoth was "killed off" or why "this life form was considered unfit" or some other such twaddle. Nothing has ever happened that way.

The lifeform was proven not to be capable of adapting to a warmer climate, and the increasing threat of bieng hunted off the face of the earth, by our industrious but barbaric ancestors. Its not as if the fist of some mighty diety, in the shape of a meteor, or a plauge, or something, wiped the poor buggers out. Climate change got to them. They couldnt move far enough North , fast enough to keep up with the changing weather, and the rest were hunted into non existance.

Any suggestion that these wonderful creatures were anything less than the most badass pachyderm ever born to the Earth, and would have carried on quite contentedly had thier entire habitat not dissapeared from around thier enormous feet, is complete nonsense, and as an opinion, ought to be taken out the back, shot, and its remains fed to pigs.

Now, onto my reaction to the idea of cloning one. I think it is a terrible idea. For a bloody start, an elephant as a mother will be a pretty poor surrogate, for many reasons, including this vital one. An elephants natural environment is about as opposite to that of a Mammoth as it is possible to get. All wild elephants these days have chosen hot arid, or hot damp climates in which to live, which is pretty much the polar (ho ho) opposite of the climate required by Mammoth physiology. It is the difference in climate, the retreat of the tundra, the dissapearance of the glaciers from thier stomping ground, that put paid to the magnificent beasts in the first place.

Why , you ask, would that make an elephant a poor surrogate for a Mammoth? It is because elephants feed differently, and come up against an entirely different set of problems in thier dusty hang outs, than did the Mammoth. Mammoths would have to learn things about survival that an elephant just does not know, like how to deal with frozen ground, or forage under snow for food. If the Mammoth that came about from the in vitro fertilisation process, were taught by its birth mother, then it would be functionally the most useless and stunted mammoth ever born, since there is no beast alive today that could teach it the tricks it would need to know to survive.

A human tutor might be able to better grasp the idea of what is needed for a mammoth to evolve ideal behaviors and survival skills, but I doubt very much that a human could TEACH one of these enormous animals how to actually achieve its aims.

Therefore, is it ethical to bring a creature back from extinction if there is no one around who could garuntee successful education of the blighter, so that it does not starve to death when or if it is released.

Another thing that strikes me, is that a Mammoth baby must be quite some degree larger than an elephant baby. Therefore would it be ethical to put an elephant through that potentially dangerous process?

And finally... Unlike some Christians and religious philosophers, I do not believe in the least, in the idea that God frowns upon the efforts of science. I believe the opposite in fact. I believe that science offers us the greatest oppertunity to witness the glory of Gods creation. I have no religious or secular issue with the idea, I want to make that very clear.

But I do believe in animal wellfare, and I think that until the people who are suggesting this can ensure that any mammoth child that comes into the world, can be taught, can be homed, and will not suffer from having no elder beast around to learn from, and will have a climate that agrees with it, rather than being crated up and sent to live with elephants in the worst possible climate for it, untill ALL these things are dealt with completely, that they ought to hold off and ensure the infrastructural elements of KEEPING and caring for one of these animals are met, before they even introduce the genetic materials to one another.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 01:04 PM
link   
reply to post by TrueBrit

I'm with you on a lot of things, but I think the experiment is worth the price in the end.

Whether it succeeds or fails would still be a boon for science considering what we might learn. Also, some of the concerns might not end up being as big an issue as you might think, this isn't a T-Rex after all, but something much more understood.

Just hope the people involved have some ethics and do it right.

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:57 PM
link   

Another thing that strikes me, is that a Mammoth baby must be quite some degree larger than an elephant baby. Therefore would it be ethical to put an elephant through that potentially dangerous process?
Didn't they grow a baby mouse in a sort of nutricious gel?

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 05:05 PM
link   
Slayer69 said .....
"Hopefully this will be accomplished easily and we can enjoy viewing this amazing creature at a local Zoo."

Somehow I can't help but think that if you were fortunate enough to look into the eye of a Mammoth, you would immediately discover that you were the object being observed, and that their intelligence might just be equal or possibly............? I think, it might be fully cognizant of what you were thinking........just maybe...

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 03:26 PM
link   
I'm really excited about this. I hope it works. My only concern is that the Mammoth may harbor some disease that present day humans and animals have not been exposed to that could wipe us out.

posted on Dec, 18 2011 @ 11:23 PM
link   

Originally posted by Secret_Squirrel
I'm really excited about this. I hope it works. My only concern is that the Mammoth may harbor some disease that present day humans and animals have not been exposed to that could wipe us out.

I'd be more worried about it being the other way around.

posted on Dec, 20 2011 @ 10:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by nuttin4U

And you're either FULL OF PRIDE, or STUPID. If there were no "God"...you, wouldn't be here. Look AROUND you...Einstein. We live on a ball of dirt and water, floating in mid-air. Go PLAY in another playground. This site is for DENYing IGNORANCE...NOT spreading it! There is no God? hahahah No! There is NO Santa!

Get away from me, you crazy person! I don't have any spare change!

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 04:21 AM
link   
reply to post by steveknows

what worries me is that the resurrected woolly beast could be a perfect petri dish environment for ancient bugs to evolve and wipe us out.
- I can see it now Jurassic Park IV - 28 days later - the human race infected

posted on Jan, 10 2012 @ 08:58 AM
link   
They will modify the DNA a little to make it a new thing so it can be patented and somebody will make Billions selling a new type of meat.

Watch.......

top topics

<< 1   >>

join