It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

 

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

 

Woolly mammoth to be brought back to life from cloned bone marrow 'within five years'

page: 1
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:11 PM
link   
www.dailymail.co.uk...

Wow! i have mixed opinions on this matter because i think what is dead should remain dead due to the changes since such a creature last roamed the Earth.It makes you wonder though what else will be brought back to life in the near future if we have the DNA.

Sorry of this has been posted already.Knowing my luck it probably already has.




posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:32 PM
link   
Well, Helloooo Jurassic Park. Where have you been all this time? I caught the movie version and can't wait for the real life one. Oh how I will enjoy hunting trips to bring down a Wooly Mammoth of my own. I'm not sure I can say the same for the hunting trips where they make a T-rex for the thrill of BEING hunted, but different strokes for different folks and someone will find being the hunted to be to their liking, I'm sure.



Goodness...... Am I the ONLY one to say *BAD IDEA* on this?! God, nature, Gaia or the little man in the moon...whichever belief we all have...deemed this life form unfit for survival. I'm going to leave this little detail of life to the Faith category as to WHY that happened and simply trust we're better off not finding out ourselves. Someday it'll be our turn to fail in making the grade and we'll be no more on this planet. I'd prefer they not bring ME back, thanks all the same.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Wrabbit2000 because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Viking9019

Wow! i have mixed opinions on this matter because i think what is dead should remain dead due to the changes since such a creature last roamed the Earth.


It's only been a few thousand years since the last ones died out, while the climate has changed, there are still places on earth I'm sure they could happily survive, and I'm pretty sure it has been shown they are only extinct because man hunted them to extinction.
edit on 4/12/11 by woogleuk because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:41 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019
 


I think this is great news. To others who say they should "stay extinct", we're talking about only a few individuals here. Not hundreds of herds to be set free to roam in today's environment.

Also, this will have implications for other species, especially those that are proven to have been driven to extinction from direct Human intervention.

Whether due to trophy hunting, cultural demands for an organisms specific body parts (weird, stupid and sad, that is) or, simply from our own existence, and encroachments on their habitats.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:48 PM
link   

Originally posted by ProudBird
reply to post by Viking9019
 


I think this is great news. To others who say they should "stay extinct", we're talking about only a few individuals here. Not hundreds of herds to be set free to roam in today's environment.

Also, this will have implications for other species, especially those that are proven to have been driven to extinction from direct Human intervention.

Whether due to trophy hunting, cultural demands for an organisms specific body parts (weird, stupid and sad, that is) or, simply from our own existence, and encroachments on their habitats.

To paraphrase the movie version... 'Sure, it always starts that way. Simple.. Innocent...and fun. Then the screaming starts and everything gets wild'. I'm sorry for my strong feelings on this, but this is playing God on an unthinkable level.

Mark my words...Man WILL pay a price for this arrogance in recreating life that has gone to the dust bin of history. Maybe it'll come in a virus mutation that only the old physiology involved here was capable of producing. Maybe it'll come in an entirely different way...but we WILL pay for doing this and a myriad of things just like it. Leave the work of God to God (Whatever God means to each of us) and perhaps He will leave man to live in some measure of peace. To paraphrase another line though, 'Nature finds a way...'.. Once these critters are brought back, others will follow. Other species...other life forms. BAD idea and we need a big "Danger" sign across this path, in my opinion.

When we can walk to England right over the very waters of the Ocean, we can start making life where none existed. Until then.... Neigh Neigh I say!



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:51 PM
link   
Why do they want to bring it back? For what reason?

So they can poke it and prod it, test it for this and test it for that, stick needles in it and have it kept prisoner for all of it's life?

Kinder to leave it where it is.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:56 PM
link   
i hear thems are good eatin'!
i see a future of mcwooly burgers.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:35 PM
link   
They have said this for the latest 20years.

+ We don't know if it can grow in a elephant stomach, although maybe in nutricious gel?
Also, mammoth should NOT be extinct. HUMANS made the mammoth extinct.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:10 PM
link   
reply to post by Viking9019
 


The real problem with this is that, like GM crops, the item in question will NOT be a wild and free organism.

It will be the property of whoever "created" it.

They will be able to do whatever they want to it, because it will be a creation of theirs, an invention of theirs if you like.

To those of you who are delighted at the prospect of wild herds of this magnificent creature once again roaming the frozen tundras of our planet, please think again.
Do you really think they'll be spending hundreds of millions of dollars bringing this animal back from extinction, just to see it run free, without expecting some return on their investment?

It will be mercilessly harvested for whatever products they can reap from it. And it will not be protected by any current animal related legislation, because it will not be viewed as an animal. It will legally be viewed as a hi-technology product, with design patents etc covering it's creation and very existence.

I'd love to see these animals alive and free. But "It ain't gonna happen" by this means.

GTD



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:37 PM
link   

Originally posted by Gordi The Drummer
reply to post by Viking9019
 


The real problem with this is that, like GM crops, the item in question will NOT be a wild and free organism.

It will be the property of whoever "created" it.

They will be able to do whatever they want to it, because it will be a creation of theirs, an invention of theirs if you like.

To those of you who are delighted at the prospect of wild herds of this magnificent creature once again roaming the frozen tundras of our planet, please think again.
Do you really think they'll be spending hundreds of millions of dollars bringing this animal back from extinction, just to see it run free, without expecting some return on their investment?

It will be mercilessly harvested for whatever products they can reap from it. And it will not be protected by any current animal related legislation, because it will not be viewed as an animal. It will legally be viewed as a hi-technology product, with design patents etc covering it's creation and very existence.

I'd love to see these animals alive and free. But "It ain't gonna happen" by this means.

GTD

No, it won't. People wont allow people to own the mamot. Also, private investors will buy the "product" and release it.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:01 AM
link   
I think it is a great and wonderful thing. A wonderful and great technology.
It's like a rifle. A rifle does not kill. But the human holding it.

This technology is beautiful and ultimate in the right responsible hands. It has so much potential.

Although I doubt our current civilization is ready for it.

Image what we could learn from the past!
edit on 5/12/11 by novuslibertas because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:49 AM
link   
I'm all for it if it will further our understanding of genetics and cloning in order to one day benefit the entire human race. Imagine one day where things like the common cold, cancer, aids, stupidity, mental disorders (such as belief in religion), etc., are a thing of the past thanks to early experiments like this. Got to break a few eggs....



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:37 AM
link   
Iam all for this.
I look forward to find out what a Mammoth steak tastes like



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 06:57 AM
link   
Pretty sure this has already been posted.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 01:44 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig

No, it won't. People wont allow people to own the mamot. Also, private investors will buy the "product" and release it.


OK, I'll bite.

Who will own the cloned Mammoths (if not the companies who extract the DNA, and perform the cloning process)?

Who owned Dolly The Sheep? (The first mammal cloned from an "adult" cell LINK TO WIKI ARTICLE ON DOLLY)
(...and why would it be any different for the Mammoths?)

and, How will the "people" prevent the other "people" from owning what will legally be THEIR OWN PROPERTY?

regards,
GTD



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 04:54 PM
link   
This does present a rare opprotunity though -


Velociraptor armies

Reagan as President

John Wayne as Vice president

Patton as Secretary of War

Caligula for CIA

Margaret Thatcher as Secretary of State

Jesus as special envoy to the Middle East


But by all means lets resurrect animals that have gone extinct. I guess its one way to thin out the human population. This is just an NBC "the more you know" commercial waiting to happen.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Xcathdra because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 05:13 PM
link   
cloning it wouldn't be an issue as the mammoth is basically a pachyderm, there are no chances for something weird to happen that couldn't be ended quickly. But it could lead to playing god, creating chimeras with Human DNA, and eventually loss of wonder at life's mysteries. A Jurrasic Park or Splice scenario is unlikely as we are NOT GOD- our creations are rather unlikely to thrive in a natural environment. I would be sad to see humanity become like the Draconian aliens where Life is basically a resource for exploitation. I considered the biotechnology genetic engineering career, but it would be likely I'd get too attached to my creations and a more than a little bit carried away in experimentation. Some lines shouldn't be crossed IMHO.



posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 07:32 PM
link   
reply to post by eywadevotee
 


How do we know if mammoths are more aggressive than todays elephants? What if their presence endangers another animal / food supply? When animals die out and are off the scene for a long time nature adapts to that absence.

Im all for scientific discovery but in this case I would prefer to have rules in place now tater than having to come up with them while velociraptors are om nom nom noming their way through downtown.



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:05 PM
link   


But it could lead to playing god


Stop bringing "GAWD" into this. God does not exist. Stop being gullible and superstitious.
THe bible is FAKE and so is GOD..



posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 03:11 PM
link   

Originally posted by Sorgmodig



But it could lead to playing god


Stop bringing "GAWD" into this. God does not exist. Stop being gullible and superstitious.
THe bible is FAKE and so is GOD..


REligious argument aside then, how about the points I made one post above yours?




top topics



 
7
<<   2 >>

log in

join