It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Hilarious advert poking fun at Robert Mugabe pulled after threats.

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:26 PM
link   
A South African fast food chain (Nandos) recently released a festive season advert campaign, which has now been withdrawn from television.

The advert is titled "The last dictator standing", and pokes fun at the aging Zimbabwean tyrant Robert Mugabe.
It shows Mugabe alone at Christmas, reminiscing over the fun he had with other dictators, such as Gaddafi, PW Botha and Idi Amin.

In Zimbabwe it is a criminal offense to insult Mugabe, and Nandos has now pulled the advert in SA, after a youth group loyal to Mugabe threatened violence.
However, Nandos has no plans to pull the advert from the Internet, where it has become a global hit.

I think the advert is hilarious, and the reaction of the despots in Zimbabwe just again prove how intolerant and insecure dictatorships really are.

For the full story: www.bbc.co.uk...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:31 PM
link   
Here is the banned advert, for which Mugabe's supporters now demand an apology.

A report from ITN News:

edit on 4-12-2011 by halfoldman because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:32 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

Here's a link to the webpage for the ad, and the official statement from Nando's why they pulled it

The youtube video is there as well, can't seem to embed here. Gotta love the Nando's ads!

edit on 4-12-2011 by TortoiseKweek because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   
reply to post by halfoldman

His power over his country is quite frightening. I was there in 2001 ("holiday"), hyperinflation was getting bad, people were poor, uncared for and I think life expectancy is something ridiculous like 40-50+ and yet he has many, many supporters.

The one thing that stuck in my mind as odd and as a sign that he has the full support of the global TPB is this.

You can change money (dollars or euros to Zimbabwe dollars) at 2 places. A bank, or an independent and local bureau de change type place. 1 dollar changed at Barclays bank (a British bank) would give you 65 Zimbabwe dollars. At the bureau de change you would get at least double, slightly more if you were willing to haggle. In other words, all the tourists that just took their bank card with them and drew money directly lost 50% to the bank. I did one small amount just to check if my card worked and looked at how much I got. I went straight to the bureau de change and got a much better rate for the dollars we had changed in Holland and taken with us (the euro was new then and I was unsure if it would be accepted locally).

My lasting impression of that country is that Robert Mugabe must die.

ETA The locals were just simply the most beautiful peoples I have ever met (Shona and Ndebele) and so happy it was just unbelievable. Sitting on the banks of the Zambezi river with a bottle of Zambezi beer (the local brewed beer) is etched into my brain. Elephants, lions and black mamba's. Oh my...

No to mention their reaction when the solar eclipse took place. (My reason for going on a 3 week camping trip taking in all the local sights and at the end, the eclipse) Poetry.
edit on 4/12/11 by LightSpeedDriver because: ETA

top topics

join