It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Mom has Diabetes but we don't have full insurance....any ideas what we can do??

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
Hey, my mom has had Diabetes for most of her life. Currently we have insurance from GM however it's that crooked way kinda insurance. My dad retired from GM. so we do have insurance but at the same time we don't have the insurance. What I mean is that we have to pay out of pocket $7,000 dollars before the insurance can kick in. Once it is kicked in then we pay monthly deductibles. So it's something my dad can't afford. last year we got my mom on the counties insurance. Just a few weeks ago we just found out via the Pharmacists that our county insurance canceled my mom. My dad been going in circles with them and so we thought we solved the issue. Yet, they sent us a discount card. We thought it be 80% discount but notice it's that 10% discount card.

Overall, we don't know what to do. I told my dad why not think about going to canada to get the meds. I never done that but do know my dad lived in canada and does have the documentation as a citizen.

I would like to know what we can do. We do live by Canada so cananda is within our reach.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:09 PM
link   
Go to Canada where they won't let you die because you don't have the money.

Seriously, right now you're kind of screwed in the US unless you want to put out donation collection jars and hope for the best.

If your parents can legally move to Canada I think your mother will have a much longer life.

I hope it works out either way. Good luck.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:12 PM
link   
reply to post by computerwiz32

I'm type 2 diabetic, but I live in the UK so I don't have to pay for (several) meds. If she's had it most of her life your Mom is probably Type 1, so it's really important that she has the right meds. Canada seems like a solution.

I'm not using this post to gloat, though when I was diagnosed I was very pleased that we have a free, national healthcare system. All I wanted to say is that, this being ATS, you're probably going to get some suggestions for wonderful cures. I'm not aware that any of these has worked on even Type 2 where insulin or similar is required, but there's certainly no evidence of non-med treatment curing or coping with Type 1.

I hope everything works out.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   

long time lurker now registred cause I may help here as im a diabetican myself.

Dont know about insurance etc. as im from europe.

but you can drasticly reduce costs for medication in changing/improving some things.

Please answer first some questions.

-What type of diabetes?
Type 1 or type 2?
-What medication?
insulin dependent(need insulin shots)?
-Her age?
-other health problems?(how fit is she?)
-how much does she weight(circa, overweight?)

the more you tell about her circumstances the more it may help!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:15 PM
link   
If it is just a matter getting insulin, then you need to talk to a pharmacy...they can contact a maker of insulin to see about reduced rates...You parents are over 65? If so, they should be on Medicare..

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:17 PM
link   

You can get help directly from the drug companies for insulin, find the sites on line, they will send you a form to be filled out and signed by your doctor,

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:18 PM
link   
Couple of things: if she doesn't have to take insulin, you can regulate it naturally, but you have to be very, very careful. Something I don't advise that you do, but as a last ditch effort sort of thing.

To be honest, it sounds like it would be a good time to look into moving back to Canada if your dad still has his citizenship. I don't know the details on it, but I'd do some research on that.

For right now, I'd recommend researching some reputable mailing medical dispensaries. That, or going to company websites.

Another thing that you can do to maybe get your mom back on the county's insurance is to see about getting your parents legally separated. She might qualify for it, then.
edit on 4-12-2011 by AnIntellectualRedneck because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:25 PM
link   
You should contact the company that manufactures your mom's medication. Almost all of them have patient assistance programs. They all have their own rules and if you qualify, you can get free medical supplies. I know this for a fact because my brother developed diabetes and did not have the money to buy the needed insulin and supplies. He had to fill out a bunch of forms and chase his doctor down to get signatures on them forms but when it was all completed, he received free medical supplies directly from the manufacturer. It's worth a try.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:30 PM
link   
I guess the big question is:

How much would the meds be per year/per month without insurance ?

Having to fork out $7000 per annum before you can even utilize the insurance coverage sounds like highway robbery to me... that works out to $584 per month, just on the $7000 alone. Do her meds really cost more than than $584 per month ?!

link   
I really dont know anything about insurance but i do know that diet and exercise do go a long way with diabetes... stay healthy and goodluck

link   

Type 1 or Type 2? Type 2 If type 2 there are loads of new research showing that a low calorie diet for 2 months can completely reverse it (the ducts are plugged with fat basically and eventually will clear). See

diabetes.webmd.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Maybe something here will help
Financial Help for Diabetes Care
diabetes.niddk.nih.gov...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:37 PM
link   
Come live in the UK, we have free national health service, supposedly one of the best in the world. We will give you dole money until you can find a job, even thats optional. And a local housing association will be required to house you and your family because of your mothers medical condision. Just pleed political asylum or religious persecution on arrival. It seems to work for all the Easteren European gypsies and there like. Why not make it work for someone who's poor mum actually needs free health care.
edit on 4-12-2011 by andy06shake because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:43 PM
link   
I would look up the Lilly Cares program. The pharmaceutical company does offer in some cases free insulin. They ought to, since the actual manufacturing cost is FAR below what they charge in msrp of 125-160 dollars per bottle without insurance coverage, depending on the insulin type.

Here is a link to the patient assistance programs for most of the larger pharmaceutical corporations:

PDF Patient Assistance Programs

You want to look at Page 9 for Eli Lilly, then look at page 31 for Novo Nordisk.

In the Eli Lilly Section it says:

Lilly Cares Program Eligibility: Lilly Cares assists patients who are uninsured and whose income is less than 300 percent of the federal poverty level. Individuals eligible for Medicare are not eligible to receive medications through Lilly Cares. The Lilly Cares program has a 12-month enrollment period for eligible patients. Lilly Cares generally ships a 4-month supply of medication and all medications are shipped to the prescriber´s office.

and in the Novo-Nordisk Section it says:

30 Novo Nordisk Pharmaceuticals Patient Assistance Program 1-866-310-7549 www.novonordisk-us.com Eligibility: The patient must not have any private or public insurance and have an income at or below 200% of the Federal Poverty Level. Medical diagnosis necessary for this program is not specified. US residency requirements are not specified. Patients over the age of 65 are not eligible for this program, regardless of whether or not they have Medicare. With the patient's permission, anyone concerned can call for an application. The application can be either faxed or mailed out upon request. The completed application can be faxed or mailed back.

It can be tough to meet their requirements, but hopefully this will help you out.
Good luck to you and your family. I think they should have a cure for this illness by now....

Oh wait, there have been several researchers who have used methods to remove Type 1 diabetes. Like Denise Faustman. How long will it take...
edit on 12/4/2011 by InFriNiTee because: ex-text

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by TinkerHaus
Go to Canada where they won't let you die because you don't have the money.

Seriously, right now you're kind of screwed in the US unless you want to put out donation collection jars and hope for the best.

If your parents can legally move to Canada I think your mother will have a much longer life.

I hope it works out either way. Good luck.

Agreed. Either move to a more ethical nation where your body is not a financial commodity or you better start putting up donation jars in all the stores around town with a picture of your mom on them.

As I tell every smug bastard that thumbs his nose at the "lower class": You are only one sickness away from being homeless.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:01 PM
link   
check out the book: the diabetes solution by dr richard bernstein.
Basically a low carb diet will reduce the amount of medication needed. In combination with movement(walks and light aerobics for the elderly and fitness/sport for the younger) The idea the dr. advocates helps tremendously.

I needed to take up to 30 to 40 "tics" on the insulin pen per meal and im now down to 8 "tics" per meal using a all in one 30/70 insulin which has short and long term acting insulin combined.
I never was more healthy and fit in my life then now.

The companys have no interest in a cure for diabetes cause it makes them trillions to sell medication for the problems they and their friends caused in first place.

They sell us crap food, pollute our air and profit from the health problems we get through that. They are sick bastards.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:43 PM
link   
Lot's of good advice here already. I am a RN so I can vouch that the drug companies can directly help you along with your local pharmacy. You just need ot have a sit down, and talk to them. If you want to move to Canada then do so, it is a beautiful place full of great people, and there are certain benefits to their healthcare system, but caveats also. Just find out about all the ups, and downs before you go.

99% of diabetes care is self care. Count carbs, check your sugars, get lots of exercise etc... Did you know muscles can metabolize sugar without insulin? Muscles can also run on ketones as well as sugar, and hardly know the difference? It is the Central Nervous System(CNS) that must have glucose, and insulin to function properly. This makes exercise very important. Balance carb intake with short term output. If your mom has consistently high sugars. Eat fewer carbs, and make it complex carbs at that, and increase output. This can drastically reduce her need for subsidiary insulin from an artificial source. Plus she'll reduce a plethora of other health risks. Wishing you, and your mom the best.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:52 PM
link   
reply to post by andy06shake

Shame on you! You intrude on one of the most thoughtful and helpful threads on ATS in a long time with your creepy anti-'gypsy' racism, and not one of your facts is right. You don't get housed in the UK because of Diabetes, particularly when it's controllable, and no claim for asylum from a person coming from the USA on the grounds of persecution resulting from religious or political belief will succeed, because the USA has a legal system which provides protection to anyone discriminated against on either ground.

Please take your ignorance elsewhere.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   

If your mother could use a full unopened vial of Humulin-N I could mail it out to you. I also have a full box of insulin syringes.
I had a diabetic dog, but she recently passed away and I don't need these anymore. I also have a few boxes of unopened test strips, and the meter.

Walmart sells Humulin-N (ReliOn brand/Walmart) for $22 if I remember correctly.

Pm me if you can use them.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:59 PM
link   
Hope this helps:

community.diabetes.org...

top topics

<<   2 >>

join