It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Lone Wolves

page: 1

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:17 AM
link   
Discuss lone wolves in this topic.

What are the incentives for there to be lone wolves in america?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:24 AM
link   
Most of the So called lone wolfs were somehow working with authorities....So I don't know how alone they thought they were
edit on 4-12-2011 by THEDUDE86 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:48 AM
link   
The boy who cried Lone wolf
These "lonewolves" simply dont nor ever have existed

They are small "false flag" oppurtunities for the government to try and give excuses as to why they are taking our rights away slowly but surely.
edit on 4-12-2011 by AllUrChips because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by THEDUDE86
Most of the So called lone wolfs were somehow working with authorities....So I don't know how alone they thought they were

Yea no doubt, besides being a lone wolf brings the escalated challenge of retaining all the resources you need to complete the task in an appropriate time frame.

One incentive however, is of course that no one else knows of the planned task, thereby reducing the security risk of exposing the operation.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:45 PM
link   
A lone man willing to sacrifice everything is an almost unstoppable assassin. I have a cousin in the secret service and he says that such a person if well organized and has some training(ex spec ops for example) he would be almost impossible to stop.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:28 PM
link   
Every American citizen that is armed and is self reliant is a potential "lone wolf"... and that is what scares the hell out of the US Govt.

Think about it... the skills needed to be a good still tree stand deer hunter also make a good sniper. Throw in a goodly number of US armed forces vets...Viet Nam , Desert Storm, Iraq, Afghanistan.... that hunt and still believe in the US Constitution and God and Mom and Apple Pie... and you have one hell of an underground, lone wolf army.

Yeah... throw myself and my neighbors into that bunch of lone wolves...... we believe in Jesus, the Constitution, paying with cash, and fly the US Flag...according to the DHS, that makes us domestic terrorists. Yup...

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:35 PM
link   

Discuss lone wolves in this topic.

What are the incentives for there to be lone wolves in america?

Lone wolfs do indeed represent a significant threat to national security that is arguably the most difficult to combat in terms of counterterrorism. The problem lies mainly with the true lone wolfs, these are individuals who are typically radicalised by their own interpretation of the world around them who arrive at the conclusion that violence is the only way to bring about the change they are seeking. The advent of the internet makes these people even more dangerous, they have the ability to be radicalised through the medium of the internet but also educate themselves appropriately to conduct a successful terrorism operation.

What makes the lone wolf most dangerous however is anonymity, they will almost always have no link to any known terrorist group that will red flag them with the intelligence services. Their anonymity also provides them with cover for their attacks, they typically blend in with the native population, have local knowledge, and can plan and conduct their attacks with massive effect and leaving almost no evidence that the intelligence community can use to pre-empt their attacks. Although limited in the magnitude of their attack they can engage in operations such as assassinations, a mass shooting, bombings and cyber-terrorism depending on their skill set. However all would be more effective if these attacks were conducted by a group of terrorists rather than a lone wolf.

And they do have some other limitations, mainly the availability of resources, lone wolfs by definition have to fund, train and supply themselves in order to achieve their goals. They will almost always have no other support other and as a result are limited in their knowledge and they may make mistakes. Acting as a lone wolf also limits the nature of their terrorist attack, they will find It very difficult to conduct a hijacking, hostage taking, synchronised attacks or any CBRN attacks.

The OP specifically ask’s about the effect of these lone wolfs on America, I would point out to the OP that America is not the only state that is at risk of terrorism and lone wolf terrorism. Recent events this year in Norway prove that, terrorism is a global threat it is not specific to America. Despite this however America has had previous experiences with lone wolf terrorists and the threat remains. Within America the liberal law governing gun control would mean that in theory there is very little to prevent a lone wolf terrorist buying a gun, some ammunition and walking into a busy shopping mall or supermarket and indiscriminately killing innocents in the name of whatever their cause may be. Such a attack would require very little planning and provide very little opportunity for law enforcement to do disrupt the plot.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:08 PM
link   
Lone Wolf is the term the government and news agencies will use to describe someone who doesn't agree with the direction our country is heading and express the willingness to resort to violence to make that change. Yes there are crazy people out there, this does not make them some kind of homegrown terrorist that hates america, it makes them crazy and unstable. When people hear of lone wolf threats it scares them and that is whole point, it causes people to think the 'boogeyman' could be living right next door. Anyone can be labeled a lone wolf type, especially if you own guns and speak out against unlawful actions of our government. EXAMPLE: Ruby Ridge

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:13 PM
link   
reply to post by AlreadyGone

Do you think that may possibly be exaggerating? With all due respect, I would not make a good sniper. There is a difference between shooting a deer at 30 yards with a .257 Roberts and a one-mile shot with a .308 sniper rifle.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:21 PM
link   
reply to post by mickd1337

FBI FLYER stating referencing defending constitutional rights is a threat. no exaggeration here, literally anything makes you a terrorist if 'they' say you are.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:36 PM
link   
reply to post by SGTSECRET

No, I mean "they" are exaggerating, not the said poster. I agree that it is very disconcerting to be stuck in a box so easily.

posted on Dec, 26 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
I'm terribly glad that most people cannot seem to wrap their head around the idea of this, and so they absolutely reject this is even possible. I'm somewhat comforted by it.

I think the terminology is wrong. Most of the people being termed lone wolves are not. They are running in known ideological subsets. This means that their issues can be distilled and addressed. They are not lone wolves. They are not outside a known pack. They are hunter wolves, roaming the outer range of of it.

Lone wolves in a more realistic metaphor are the people running on some thought or ideology that has little support.

If you are existing in a subset that includes millions or billions of people, you aren't a lone wolf.

Being unmotivated by money makes them invisible to most other people.

You want them? Motivate them. Give them something to come home to, something to protect and work on behalf of. Locally. You aren't, so someone else is.

Finally, by extending the concept of terrorists and extremists you're breaking it. Which may be the entire idea.
edit on 2011/12/26 by Aeons because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

join