It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Snow prediction for the UK..

page: 2
<< 1   >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:54 PM
link   
Currently 2-3 inches outside my house,motorbike run to college tomorrow should be epic

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:10 PM
link   

Originally posted by TechUnique
Over the past 4 years I have noticed quite a drastic increase in the amount of snow in my area. I live on the south east coast of England in East Sussex. Every year the snow gets higher and higher in my town Hastings, I remember when I was a child/early teenager everyone used to hope and pray every year for even the slightest bit of laying snow.. we usually ended up disappointed with little bits of sleet or an inch of snow which lasted a few hours..

Over the past few years its gotten hectic.. Last year the snow was halfway up my thighs in a lot of places. .

Easy to explain. Our lower atmosphere is holding more moisture because the air is warmer than in recorded history. The warmer the air the more moisture it can hold. Add to that the fact that the oceans are also showing record warming = more evaporation.

The atmosphere is currently holding 4% more moisture than ever recorded. 4% may not seem like much to a layman- but a 4% change in natural systems can have drastic effects. Ask anyone who keeps salt water fish what a 4% change in ph can do to a reef tank.

So we have more lower atmospheric moisture, yet of course the poles and thinner air in the upper troposphere is still freezing (thank God or we would all be dead). And the Jet Stream is acting anomalously - swinging wildly pulling that cold air down to hit the warm, moisture laden air. BOOM. I am sure you remember 3rd grade science class where you learned that makes for snowstorms and blizzards in winter and thunderstorms/tornados in spring and summer.

"Heavy snowstorms are not inconsistent with a warming planet," said Dr. Jeff Masters, director of meteorology and co-founder of the Weather Underground website. "In fact, as the Earth gets warmer and more moisture gets absorbed into the atmosphere, we are steadily loading the dice in favor of more extreme storms in all seasons, capable of causing greater impacts on society." www.ens-newswire.com... March 2011

edit on 6-12-2011 by Stratus9 because: Storms!

posted on Dec, 6 2011 @ 08:28 PM
link   
reply to post by TechUnique

i am 63 years old and i remember the winter a lot colder and lots of snow , the past 20 years or so have been quite mild in comparison .i think the cycle has turned full circle and we are starting again .
this is normal so don,t panick just get your snow chains out .

posted on Dec, 8 2011 @ 03:19 AM
link   
Looks a bit more of the norm this winter, the North and Scotland getting a deluge of snow, South/South East getting nothing. However, I think it will change in January, but I can't see any snow for the South East this side of Christmas. We're still getting double figure temps during the day at times!

new topics

top topics

<< 1   >>

join