It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suppose a one world language was made, would it be best to use Latin or German for such a language?

page: 3
<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:43 PM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

In a sense, English is the one world language, for the simple reason that it is the language of aviation. To some degree, it's also the language of commerce; most pidgin dialects contain a fair amount of English.

It becomes problematic in other senses, though, such as the fact that with English verbs, irregularities are the rule rather than the exception. That's just one of the reasons it's very difficult to learn, and that it probably would not be attainable for the masses.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 06:33 PM
link   
reply to post by NazcaP

english is like dutch, it is a language to speak not to write, that is why rules are difficult to learn
the grammar dont matter as when u use it for communication u get the rules right done

i guess some languages are for individuals free moves out of it and other languages are for free moves through it

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:00 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

The one world language should be good ol bad American english

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:07 PM
link   
I am well versed in gibberish and hyperbole and believe that the American version of the English language is the best conveyance of this speldid, destined to be universal, "verbal spew" of choice.

edit on 4-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: well you know.............

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:09 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Emotion.
Irrelevant line.
edit on 6/25/2011 by Warpthal because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   
reply to post by Warpthal

You didn't answer the question at all. Reread the question.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
My guess is the kid without the shirt is the Republican.

They are more transparent.

Notice they talk a lot but no real housework is being done.

Special interest groups in the background are writing the legislation and as usual, as smart ad these two sound they don't have any power when it comes to running things.

BTW, Hebrew is going to be the one world language - duh!

Originally posted by DerepentLEstranger
reply to post by arpgme

there is a common human language already in existence
it's the same language spoken before the Babel Infocalypse

it comes hardwired in the brain at birth, but pretty much everybody has it conditioned out of them as children
it's only spoken in dreams or ecstatic states now
it's Babytalk, ever noticed how babies are able to communicate? or how sometimes babies will seem to make perfectly intelligible statements before being able to speak their mother tongue?

shamans relearn it during initiation.
properly mastered it allows you to talk to animals and can function in a universal translator mode
however a lie spoken will be translated as the truth that the speaker wishes to hide.
in magic it's the original tongue of fire, in which the word IS the thing.

it's now called glossolalia, with a lot of disinfo attached, so do your homework.

AK KAK LAMU SALENU KON!
edit on 4-12-2011 by DerepentLEstranger because: added video

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:18 PM
link   
Everyone in the Western World is biased towards English.

However, the official language of many things (such as the IOC) is French, and Chinese has been around unaltered for over 5,000 years, and is spoken by nearly a fifth of the population, far more than speak English.

Chinese writing AND language have been around for millenia, someone who understands Chinese today can understand something written down in 3,000 BC, same really can't be said for English.

My vote for a world language goes to Chinese. Better get out those Rosetta Stone tapes. lol.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:21 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Neither? German is a marginal language at best -- and would be the most expensive of the top-ten to teach, because it is the 10th.

And Latin is the language of the secret elite. It is what they speak to hide their vices in plain sight. It will never (again) be the global language.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:23 PM
link   
You meant to write "poor American English."

Or was that your point.

Originally posted by gunshooter
reply to post by arpgme

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:40 PM
link   

Originally posted by BRAVO949

Or was that your point.

reply to post by arpgme

Don't worry arpgme....some people you just can't reach

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:50 PM
link   
I like that line.

I might use it in a post somewhere.

Originally posted by grubblesnert

Originally posted by BRAVO949

Or was that your point.

reply to post by arpgme

Don't worry arpgme....some people you just can't reach

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:57 PM
link   
It would be best to use a Latin based language...One word for the reason, music.
Have you ever heard a German person singing? It is awful.
English is the best language for music, followed by Spanish.

I live in Italy, but I practically use English more than my own language. I find it comes natural to me to even think in English.
I learned Russian ( very hard ), Holland ( surprisingly easier ), French, Japanese, Latin, ancient Greek ( wow, hard as hell both Latin and Greek ) and a bit of Spanish and Albanian, but I find them difficult.

Now, I can only write in Japanese, I forgot Holland and Russian and I can read French.

Chinese for a world language is pretty much the worst choice in my opinion. Perhaps maybe one day it will be this one.
French is the most elegant one, though.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by HillbillyHippie1

English, quite frankly, is a horrible language and it's the only one I speak.

Perhaps you think so precisely because it is the only one you speak. I can get along in three and regard English as greatly superior to the other two. The vocabulary and flexibility of English are very hard to beat.

when we say "I love my wife" and "I love apple pie" the difference in the type of love must be either already understood or inferred in some way. We really have no way to describe the difference between love for our wife and love for food without going into further detail.

Actually, you are offering an example of the versatility of English. Nobody really loves apple pie – we like it, we relish it, we have a taste for it, we savour it (even though it is sweet), and so on... and, should we choose to do so, we can summarize all that in a metaphor and say we love the stuff. Context makes our meaning clear and nobody imagines that we love our wives and our apple pies in the same way.

That is why English was considered a "vulgar tongue", because it is not for intellectuals, but for commoners.

Incorrect. This view is simply a reflection of historical events. English was the language of the conquered Saxon and Celtic peasantry of England. Their Norman overlords spoke French, and naturally considered their language superior to the natives’. This prejudice, like Norman domination of the English establishment, endured till quite recently. Norman French, on the other hand, vanished from England after a couple of centuries.

There are tons of words in Latin and Greek and other tongues which have no English equivalent because our language sucks.

In Latin or Greek? Really? Care to provide a few examples?

Of course there are words that exist in other languages that don’t in English. Do you know what English does to those words? It makes them English. To offer the OP’s thesis some derisory support, a favourite twentieth-century source language for English was German – angst, zeitgeist, schadenfreude and many others are now part of the English language. In an earlier era, a lot of the borrowings were from Indian languages – veranda, curry, bungalow, tiffin and all the rest. History again; this period corresponded to the apex of British involvement with India. Pick up any English dictionary and look up the etymological derivations of words at random; you will find that many, if not most, are not of Anglo-Saxon or Old Norse origin. Many are French and Latin borrowings.

Because of this magpie propensity, English is a language rich in synonyms. Interestingly, however, these synonyms are rarely exact equivalents of one another; more often, there are subtle distinctions of meaning between them. It is these subtleties of meaning and usage that make English so rich and versatile.

One way to judge a language is by its literature. No other language in the world, with the possible exception of French, can hold a candle to English in this department. Even the claim of French looks flimsy compared to that of English. I’m not talking about quantity but about quality and scope. What other language can boast a Shakespeare? And the Bard of Avon was no flash in the pan.

...That's why it is so hard to learn!

If English were hard to learn, it would not be the world’s most widely spoken language. A basic, utilitarian form of English is very easy to learn and satisfies most of the day-to-day needs of human intercourse. Where I live, I hear this kind of English every day: ‘I go market’; 'She always coming fight me’; ‘Now you want taxi or some time coming?’ Grates on the educated ear, but perfectly comprehensible and usable.

In any event, our language is getting worse. We are dropping words like mad and half the time people don't even use full words anymore. People are starting to use abbreviations and TXT talk. If a universal language evolves it will probably be a very primitive language that makes even less sense than the one we have now.

Oh, right. This explains where you’re coming from. You see vocabulary, grammar and syntax as prescriptive. Linguists no longer view language in this way. Language is what people speak, not what somebody says they ought to speak. Ethnic dialects, pidgin, text-message speak and all the rest have their own vocabulary, grammar and syntax, and users of these versions of English must conform as faithfully to these rules as the users of what is miscalled Standard English.

edit on 4/12/11 by Astyanax because: of quote-fixing.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:22 PM
link   
reply to post by BRAVO949

It's from the movie "Cool Hand Luke" the Warden said it "Some people you just can't reach" I always liked that line

good talking to ya Mr. BRAVO949
edit on 4-12-2011 by grubblesnert because: well ahhh well......you know

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:51 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Occupy Wall Street just created a new language using hand gestures. We should all use that. Then there will be no confusion with heavy accents and such.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:23 AM
link   
It should be archaic dead latin. It is the cradle of so much of what English has derived itself from and is incomprehensibly beautiful in spoken form.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:32 AM
link   
Here is what I would say to a one-world language.

Cogito ergo sum.

Voulez vous couchez avec moi ce soir?

Xtrmvvzzysk!

I beg your pardon? What an absolutely ridiculous idea!

Put another kiwi on the barbie, mate!

I am Greek, we all know that Greece is the centre of the world, and that language will be Greek!

Here on the Costa del Crim, mate, we is gunna keep speaking English, mate, coz that is wot we speak, mate, and if you wanna change it, mate, you're gunna feel the long arm of the lawless round your neck.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:36 AM
link   
Pls god not German. Such an aggressive and scary language. Also sounds like it takes a lot of effort.

posted on Dec, 5 2011 @ 12:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by catwhoknowsplusone

Here on the Costa del Crim, mate, we is gunna keep speaking English, mate, coz that is wot we speak, mate, and if you wanna change it, mate, you're gunna feel the long arm of the lawless round your neck.

This.

You can try and make me speak something other than English, but I can guarantee it wont end well for you.
edit on 5-12-2011 by Ashertron because: (no reason given)

new topics

<< 1  2    4  5 >>

join