It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Suppose a one world language was made, would it be best to use Latin or German for such a language?

page: 2
<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   

Originally posted by arpgme
I understand that English is a mash of Latin/French and German, but, considering the fact that Romance Languages (Spanish, French, Italian) are most popular, excluding English and Mandarin Chinese, should German languages be used for the root words of this language or Latin/French?

I guess this is a Philosophy about one world language...

English is the most used language, as far as the world goes, but it is probably the worst language. English, quite frankly, is a horrible language and it's the only one I speak. It is inferior to other languages in so many ways, which is why the elites want everyone to speak it.

Consider the word "love" for instance, in Greek there are four different words to express four different kinds of love, but in English there is only one, so when we say "I love my wife" and "I love apple pie" the difference in the type of love must be either already understood or inferred in some way. We really have no way to describe the difference between love for our wife and love for food without going into further detail, so the language is really inadequate for describing things properly. That is why English was considered a "vulgar tongue", because it is not for intellectuals, but for commoners. There are tons of words in Latin and Greek and other tongues which have no English equivalent because our language sucks.

The way English is, you pretty much use a word to communicate something which must further be interpreted by prior knowledge picked up in the culture. That's why it is so hard to learn! Also, we have so many homophones which means you have to pick up on the context of the discussion or you won't even know what the individual meant when they said, "We were on the plain." Does that mean they were on level ground, on an airplane, or standing on the tool?

Then there is all of the slang we have in English. Someone unfamiliar with English slang can get really confused when you call one individual cool and hot in the same sentence.

In any event, our language is getting worse. We are dropping words like mad and half the time people don't even use full words anymore. People are starting to use abbreviations and TXT talk. If a universal language evolves it will probably be a very primitive language that makes even less sense than the one we have now.

I forsee a future where punctuation and spelling is completely lost. We will have computers doing that for us, so all we will need to know how to do is pronounce words, and eventually we might not even have to do that. Writing will be lost forever, as our computers will automatically translate our speech, and eventually computers will simply take the information directly from our heads, so we won't need to speak either. I strongly believe that just like everything else, we will give up our independence and self-sufficiency for convenience and so eventually we won't even be able to communicate with other people without being able to afford our monthly bill for the computer chip in our head. If you try to drop out of society it will mean death because not only will you not know how to make, grow, or pick your own food, but you won't even know how to read, write, or speak without the State's assistance. Dropping out of society will mean certain death and a complete loss of companionship aside from maybe grunting at each other and cuddling.

And we'll call placing our self in that situation, where we are completely dependent on artificial things for our natural survival, evolution and progress! It's gonna be great!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:01 AM
link   
I would suggest English - only because it has the longest history with industry/technology terminology and concepts, and it is alphabetic. That, and the technology taking over the world comes from English speaking countries.

If you look at it from a technical aspect, as in, which language is most efficient, then:

English being alphabetic makes it a much more efficient language than Cantonese, Mandarin, or even Japanese, which require a great deal more context to convey concepts. Also is you study Asian languages, you'll see many of them will switch to English phrases in explaining technical concepts. Chinese (like Japanese) characters started out as glyphs, I think Chinese had 600 originally, which is the lexicon (vocabulary) used to build it's sentences. When you invent new terms you add new glyphs, which is how Chinese has some 20,000 in it's present day vocabulary. Try remembering all that! The language was modernized in the 50's by the communist party so it's more phonetic today, but it still doesn't change the fact that the language is fractured along so many dialects, with different writing styles. Even Japanese switches between Kanji and traditional characters. I would say though that Japanese is a wonderfully inventive language, they way it can combine words. If I had to choose any Asian language to 'rule the world' it would be Japanese, but would still prefer English above that.

I prefer English over the Romance languages too, even though those use an alphabet as well - mainly because English dispense with the gender of nouns. "La" and "le" mean the same thing, except one is masculine and one is feminine, and why we should bother with whether a chair is "la chaise" or "le chaise" is beyond me. The older romance languages haven't adapted as well to new technology terms either, not nearly as efficiently as English.

But I don't think the 'ruling one world language' will be based on some decision of efficiency, it'll be based on the language with greatest economic hold on the rest of the world. Right now those language choices come down to the Dollar, Euro, and Yen, and I think the Yen is winning.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
If there was a worldwide language, it would be English. English is the lingua franca of the business world, which means it'll be the world language if we ever get that far.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:06 AM
link   
As someone fluent in 3 of the above mentioned top 10 languages, (English, Spanish and German), I must say, English is by far the best choice.
It has the most logical and simplest grammar and spelling.
(I know it wouldn't seem so, based on what you read online..lol)

German grammar is borderline incomprehensible, even for a lot of Germans.
Some say that's the reason why their ventures to become a colonial
power were relatively unsuccessful.

Spanish is a pain to spell, the grammar rather complicated, (as with most Romantic languages), and the pronunciation really not for everybody.

French is rather easy to learn, if you don't need to read or write it.

Chinese would make no sense at all, as it is incredibly complicated, often non-translatable and bears no similarity to any other languages spoken outside of the "far east".

Now imagine trying to start teaching everybody Chinese characters, given that even the Chinese themselves only learn a certain amount of all there are, and it's their own writing.

English is well established and Latin Characters, (our alphabet),
are understood if not dominant in most parts of the world

Sometimes, it's best to not try to fix anything, if it ain't broken...

edit on 4-12-2011 by VivaLaEvolution because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

I have heard that English is one of the hardest languages to even learn, let alone master

I think its one of the easier languages, at least when it comes to learning the basics sufficient for everyday conversation.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:08 AM
link   
I think it should be some mixture of Chinese, since a billion people already know it. Or maybe we should engineer another language?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:12 AM
link   
reply to post by questforevidence

One billion who already know Chinese and 6 billion who would have to learn it...doesn't sound too efficient.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:16 AM
link   
reply to post by IronDogg

Yeah, people say that English is the hardest language to learn and master, but frankly, that is horse blow. If it was so hard, it would not have caught on.

Sure, speaking english properly is tough, even the majority of native english speakers don't do that properly, but that is the beauty of the language, you can mix it all up and it is still entirely understandable. Hell, look at my last couple of sentences, I am typing like a idiot but you know what I am saying.

The point is, you can pick up a few words of english and have a full on conversation with folks as it is not so context sensitive.

Although the old empire spread the word of english throughout the globe, it has kept its position at the top for distribution (rather than just number of speakers) because it is so easy to communicate with it, even if you don't know the exact rules of sentence construction.

Most native english speakers just about know what a verb and a noun are, but beyond that, they don't know blow. Most foreigners who speak english as a second language know more about the 'proper' way to construct sentences than the average english person...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:32 AM
link   
So far only ONE person answered my question and that was CranialSponge.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:41 AM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

Due, maybe they're just responding to other points raised by people, you know, like a discussion.

If you had to choose between Latin and German the choice wouild have to be German. Even the Romans had trouble with Latin and besides, it was not really spoken in its pure form except for very well educated people of which there were few.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:50 AM
link   
to me english is the easiest language i never learned it and only being aboard in places speaking english for short times, so i guess for a lot of true people english comes naturally
if i would speculate on this i would justify it first negatively then positively,

negatively, latin sucks, its freedom as a language is very powerful and present within, it is like a subject who mean its positive life, so u cant mean urself freedom through those languages unless first u love them, u must have a good taste of art, rhetoric pass times, and beauty of free realisations, otherwise u cant mean anything
so when truth is absolute freedom and self freedom is through being true, using latino languages is always to b outside totally of truth realms, where u cant point anything really being to objective facts

positively, english language freedom do not mean anything, it mean zero most, then all selves means are possible potentially through to be objective realisations of different ones
i mean principally american english british is a bit more sophisticated especially perceived through humor living forms of subtle uses

but for american language if ones mean life they wont then like it that much, it is plain standard empty, i guess that is how americans individuals seem to enjoy robotic much, but american movies are prosper since freedom of means through images moves is much more possibly present by american language that do not say much

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:54 AM
link   
id say german since latin leaves a big hole for interpetation even among scholars ,

seams to me a phrase in latin can mean a multitude of things but it would be a good root language to evolve from.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:58 AM
link   
reply to post by absolutely

See what I mean? No offence Absolutely but what you wrote is crazy talk but I still understood it. ENglish is way cool like that, you just line up a few words and go for it, great!

Good for you Absolutely, I wasn't having a jibe, just nice to see my point illustrated, hehe!

Btw, I can order a beer in German and that is just about it, so I'm not having a go at anybody's lingo abilities...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:03 PM
link   

Originally posted by zerbot565
id say german since latin leaves a big hole for interpetation even among scholars ,

seams to me a phrase in latin can mean a multitude of things but it would be a good root language to evolve from.

it means its life mostly, that is how few rubbish use became suddenly a reference of the language vogue that all must follow and use it can even b integrated in literature as forcing new system of rules
imigrants ways of avoiding it to mean smthg for them out belonging to their particular situation lives, became the poets of today offering them ways of integration that of course is very attractive while not the point

but of course u r right only in the sense that one must love language somehow to forget about himself free expressions wills, before he decide for himself what language to use when he saw and is fed with language life

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:19 PM
link   
I opt for absolutely's English.

Nah... Just kidding.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:40 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

English! Largest, most flexible language just by sheer numbers. More words means more accurate communication.

or telepathy.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:10 PM
link   
English is HELL to write. French is easier because at least it follows a pattern.

For Example,
ou is ALWAYS pronounce "ooh" in French but can be pronounced "ow" and "ooh" in English

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

In Fench, "inhabité" is the opposite of "inhabit". That is rather strange, isn't it?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:06 PM
link   
reply to post by arpgme

For Example,
ou is ALWAYS pronounce "ooh" in French but can be pronounced "ow" and "ooh" in English

Ther wil cum a tim veri sun wen that wil chaynj.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:42 PM
link   
Why not greek? It's a beautiful language that has influenced others like english and it draws similarities with other languages from a common origin in the ancient east. For me, I knew english, then I learned German, then Greek and now I'm doing Turkish. I'm just slowly working my way east, but Greek is a good central language.

top topics

<< 1    3  4  5 >>

join