It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

D.E.A. Launders Mexican Profits of Drug Cartels

page: 1
<<   2 >>

join
share:
+1 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

D.E.A. Launders Mexican Profits of Drug Cartels

www.nytimes.com

Undercover American narcotics agents have laundered or smuggled millions of dollars in drug proceeds as part of Washington’s expanding role in Mexico’s fight against drug cartels, according to current and former federal law enforcement officials

As it launders drug money, the agency often allows cartels to continue their operations over months or even years before making seizures or arrests.

After the agency lost track of hundreds of weapons, some later turned up in Mexico; two were found
(visit the link for the full news article)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   
PLEASE UNDERSTAND:

IN AN ATTEMPT TO NOT HAVE THIS THREAD

CLOSED PLEASE STAY ON TOPIC

AND THE TOPIC IS THE EFFICIENCY OF THE

D.E.A LAUNDERING GOD KNOWS HOW MUCH MONEY

IN A VERY CORRUPT WORLD....

NOT DRUGS ITSELF

PLEASE DO NOT MENTION ANY SPECIFIC DRUG

OR YOUR OPINION ON ANYTHING OF THE SORT

Anyhow
I undestand that being a DEA is absolutely not an easy job
First of all both the miliitary overseas and the DEA both lose way too many weapons way too often.

Anytime that happens...for me, it sounds like it's just an attempt to accelerate the war in an effort to keep it going with no end in sight.

With that said, should they have laundered money?

“If you’re going to get into the business of laundering money,” the official added, “then you have to be able to launder money.”

So if they want to catch terrorists should they become terrorists too?
If they want catch murderers should they murder too?
Money is different, this is a differently complex issue, but i'm just thinking if money laundering is illegal for civilians it should be illegal for authorities too even under clandestine missions.
Especially today where there is next to ZERO accountability in govt. departments.

Bad approach and horrible timing.

But some may disagree

I understand that the role of DEA agents is nowhere near being an easy one, hard choices must be made sometimes.

Thoughts?

www.nytimes.com
edit on 4-12-2011 by ModernAcademia because: (no reason given)

+6 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:23 AM
link   
If they just.declared an end to the war on drugs the Mexican cartels would disappear overnight. They only reason they exist is to sell drugs to the US. How much more obvious can it get??

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:30 AM
link   
This isn't limited to Mexico. The CIA, DEA, etc. have been drug trafficking and laundering drug money for decades.

www.capitolhillblue.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:50 AM
link   
"The officials said that while the D.E.A. conducted such operations in other countries, it began doing so in Mexico only in the past few years"

Yea it was other agencies that took care of that before

"underscore diplomatic concerns about Mexican sovereignty, and blur the line between surveillance and facilitating crime"

so blurry sometimes i can't see ! opps didn't mean to launder that much , opps don't know how they stack ended up in my pocket , opps dropped a few hundread thousand by accident.

"“We tried to make sure there was always close supervision of these operations so that we were accomplishing our objectives, and agents weren’t laundering money for the sake of laundering money.”

Yea just like fast and furious lol

I"m sure laundering money with the proper supervision and guidelines and an extact penny to penny count , could pave the way for proper investigations.

But not the clowns in power right now , they are so far off the mark , i am in shock and awe how they have the authoirty to be assistatnt to crimes. But call it tactical investigations lol

I love the double standards sugar coating by some u.s agenices . They are so good at rewriting a meaning to make it sound not so bad , must applaude them for that.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:08 AM
link   
Where do you think
they get the money for
Black Op's

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:15 AM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Looks like they're up to their old tricks again.

Bolivia VP: DEA not welcome back

Bolivia's vice president says U.S. drug agents will not be returning to his country despite the newly announced normalization of diplomatic relations.

Vice President Alvaro Garcia says the Drug Enforcement Administration "was a mechanism of political blackmail" and is not welcome back.

The American government are the biggest drug dealers on earth

They are running out of support in South America so they now mostly use the Mexican cartels. The Opium trade in Afghanistan is booming too.

I started a thread on the Bolivian incident:

Even Bolivia Won't Do Business With The DEA Anymore

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:20 AM
link   
This doesn't surprise me at all. The CIA has been known to be intimately involved in the drug trade since at least the Vietnam War.

The drug trade is world wide and has many facets. Illicit profits fund the world's monetary system. It would have collapsed long ago without frequent injections of large amount of drug profits into Wall Street. From the front line police that make the busts, to the lawyers and judges, to the rehab industry, to the top secret government black ops that are funded by drug profits, our society is built on drug profits.

Besides, organized crime cartels are not able to grow as big and powerful as they have without government cooperation. The Mafia has always worked hand in hand with corrupt officials. In Florida, the coc aine cowboys of the late 70s and 80s bought off a large part of the Miami police force. The Mexican cartels are protected by corrupt government and police officials. All that is well documented.

So, to hear that the CIA is laundering drug money is not all that new to me.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Corruption Exposed

Very interesting article about Bolivia
Starred, thx for the info, great contribution to the discussion

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 11:05 AM
link   

Originally posted by ModernAcademia
So if they want to catch terrorists should they become terrorists too?
If they want catch murderers should they murder too?

By some accounts this may be the actual truth.. arguments about water-boarding and secret extraditions aside, I have seen accusations that the US has sent covert missions into countries to create terrorist acts. Hell, we did that with the Shah or Iran, didn't we? On my first cuppa coffee, so little fuzzy, but this seems par for the course for these "too secret to tell" agencies.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 01:09 PM
link   
Not at all surprising that drug money is being laundered by a government agency, slightly surprised it is the D.E.A. To be honest, my only image of the DEA is a bunch of tools with assault rifles and full body armor taking bongs out of stores while some potheads half heartedly insult them. I always figured it was CIA/possibly FBI that laundered the money, but I'm sure they do too. They are just to far to ever admit it.

Also, the guns that were recently found were not really just "lost". They were practically given to the cartels by someone very high up in government (some were saying Obama himself ordered the operation, and it seems Eric Holder knew early on), agencies like the ATF and FBI actively facilitated and ignored what was going in. Operation fast and furious, it was even mentioned in the article. This is probably what the laundered money went to anyway, more guns and ammo for the cartels, and maybe a few political favors.

The DEA is fighting an un-winnable war. Since the war on drugs was declared what has happened to the quantity, potency, profitability, and use of drugs? Has drug related violence gone down? The DEA is making things worse and here is playing a crucial role in supporting cartels. Even if they catch one kingpin, the gap left will quickly be filled.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:15 PM
link   
reply to post by TheComte

And let's not forget that all of the big banks are getting ready to die a slow death, so keep watching for it to grow so they can get their fix through drugs/money to keep them on life support.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:06 PM
link   
SPOONBENDER you beat me to that point i have been saying that for ears let me explain i am from Tucson Az i have seen the stuff they write movies about nuf said on that i would just throw this out there if they reported all the money from drugs they steal and then sell we would not have a deficit on the books as they say they being the border patrol, CIA, DEA,local police, sheriff department etc. pf secret ABC agency you get the point.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:20 PM
link   
I remember watching a movie about drug trafficking and the traffickers said "if you do not pay off the right people you will get caught. If you did not pay off the right people their is a %99 chance that you will get busted." I know the CIA has been caught selling drugs on multiple occasions. One of the most popular cases, witch the Goverment did a good job of covering up is the case of Freeway ricky ross. USA was in afghanistan harvesting big quantity's of opium. Do some unbias research instead of the propaganda they teach you in your Goverment schools and you will find a big lie.
edit on 4-12-2011 by 8ILlBILl8 because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:34 PM
link   
Remember not so very long ago, the hugely reported scandal involving the big banks laundering hundreds of $Billions in drug money? Ok, so maybe it wasn't big news for weeks, but here's a fairly good piece:

www.bloomberg.com...

A snippet...

Wachovia admitted it didn’t do enough to spot illicit funds in handling $378.4 billion for Mexican-currency-exchange houses from 2004 to 2007. That’s the largest violation of the Bank Secrecy Act, an anti-money-laundering law, in U.S. history -- a sum equal to one-third of Mexico’s current gross domestic product.

“Wachovia’s blatant disregard for our banking laws gave international coc aine cartels a virtual carte blanche to finance their operations,” says Jeffrey Sloman, the federal prosecutor who handled the case.

Reading down through the article, one comes across this little gem:

No big U.S. bank -- Wells Fargo included -- has ever been indicted for violating the Bank Secrecy Act or any other federal law. Instead, the Justice Department settles criminal charges by using deferred-prosecution agreements, in which a bank pays a fine and promises not to break the law again.

Say what? A government guaranteed get out of jail free card? And they'll send in a freakin SWAT team to bust some poor Joe for selling a couple of joints!

So, the bottom line appears to be that our governments know this all goes on, and their taxpayer funded agencies are active players, as well as the banks laundering the money, and we just gotta suck it up. But, woe betide anyone trying to get a piece of the action!

edit on 4-12-2011 by Britguy because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:47 PM
link   
reply to post by ModernAcademia

Breaking news is what is being stated here. I don't, however, feel as if this is anything new. Oh wait, it's documented....or "documented".....now. From where I sit, the way things work, with this specific finding, I don't see how certain things with Mexico and the USA work without said finding being true. So sure, now we know what we knew....in my humble opinion of course.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 05:56 PM
link   
I want to know how Afghan heroin is ending up in the American Midwest?

It is the Contra Affair all over again.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:12 PM
link   

Originally posted by Helixer
I want to know how Afghan heroin is ending up in the American Midwest?

It is the Contra Affair all over again.

This map shows a pretty good way;

Illegal drug trade

Up until fairly recently the majority of the world's heroin was produced in an area known as the Golden Triangle (Southeast Asia).[23] Today Afghanistan is by a very wide margin "the world's largest exporter of heroin".[24][25] In 2007, 93% of the opiates on the world market originated in Afghanistan.[26] This amounts to an export value of about $64 billion, with a quarter being earned by opium farmers and the rest going to district officials, insurgents, warlords and drug traffickers.[27] Another significant area where poppy fields are grown for the manufacture of heroin is Mexico.

Heroin

Afghanistan has been the greatest illicit opium producer in the entire world, ahead of Burma (Myanmar) and the "Golden Triangle" since 1992, excluding the year 2001.[1] Afghanistan is the main producer of opium in the "Golden Crescent". Opium production in Afghanistan has been on the rise since U.S. occupation started in 2001.

Opium production in Afghanistan

edit on Dec-04-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

edit on Dec-04-2011 by xuenchen because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:11 PM
link   
If the question of this thread is "is it okay for law enforcement to break the law?" then my answer is no. The law applies to everyone, including law enforcement, so it's not okay for them to break the law in order to uphold the law. In fact as law enforcement they should be setting the example of what it means to adhere to the law. This is only difficult to grasp if your motivations as a law enforcement official are other than honorable. This is tantamount to claiming that the only reason you beat your wife is because you love her so much. Ridiculous.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 10:15 PM
link   
Obviously.

They had the tunnel under Mexico run to California and got busted with over, I think 32 tons of Mary Jane. Yeah, they ain't behind that. They were just clueless for, I don't know how long, and this is 2012, so Mexico one upped on the CIA. Okay.

They obviously had knowledge of that tunnel.

But, now it's a problem and got busted.

Wonder how the ILLEGALS were slipping in?

Any clues?

new topics

top topics

<<   2 >>

join