Help ATS with a contribution via PayPal:
learn more

Iran shoots down US drone – state TV

page: 1
30
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   

Iran shoots down US drone – state TV


rt.com

Iran's military says it has shot down a US reconnaissance drone aircraft in eastern Iran, Reuters news agency reports, citing state television.

­"Iran's military has shot down an intruding RQ-170 American drone in eastern Iran," an unnamed source has reportedly told Iran's Iran's Arabic-language television network.
(visit the link for the full news article)



+3 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:51 AM
link   
And how many intruding drones has Iran shot down by now in recent years? From my memory, this is at least the fifth, including both Israeli and American drones.

And people say that Iran is a threat here? The US is scoping out targets by sending drones to Iran.

And I wonder how this news will be spun in the Western mainstream media. I bet, just like the other incidents, it'll just be ignored because the fact that the US is the aggressor here doesn't fit into the whole "Iran is a dangerous terrorist nuclear state that must be stopped" agenda.

rt.com
(visit the link for the full news article)

EDIT: merde... I did do a search on this story but it turns out that there is another thread on it, in the WWIII forum, that beat me by like 10 minutes. Oh well, different discussion base in this forum anyways
edit on 4-12-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:55 AM
link   
What do you expect them to do, start waving at the drone, the question is what happens if the U.S. shoot down an Iranian drone within the U.S. continent.

Not sure about the date

edit on 4-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
source is rt news in this thread and presstv in the other.
man, somebody wake me up if it hits a more reliable source.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:57 AM
link   
This time might be much different because of all the recent tensions.

Things are definitely picking up fast.

I'm willing to bet the us will try to find a way to spin this in their favour.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:59 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
What do you expect them to do, start waving at the drone, the question is what happens if the U.S. shoot down an Iranian drone within the U.S. continent.


Yeah you have to love the double standard here. The us can send drones all it like but if Iran did it?? Lol , I all think we know how that would play outn



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:01 AM
link   
Here is a link to some info: RQ-170 Sentinel wiki


Aviation Week postulates that these elements suggest the designers have avoided 'highly sensitive technologies' due to the near certainty of eventual operational loss inherent with a single engine design and a desire to avoid the risk of compromising leading edge technology.


I guess that means Iran won't have any cool stuff to back-engineer or sell from this take-down.
Maybe the AESA radar, but I somewhat doubt even that much.
Oh well.

edit on 4-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)


+20 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   

Originally posted by rubbertramp
source is rt news in this thread and presstv in the other.
man, somebody wake me up if it hits a more reliable source.


You don't find the main Russian news network reliable? You don't find Iranian state media reliable in reporting Iranian matters?

Well perhaps if you actually read the two sentences within the article you would have noticed this:

"Iran's military says it has shot down a US reconnaissance drone aircraft in eastern Iran, Reuters news agency reports, citing state television. "

Go bitch somewhere else if you don't like facts. Seriously, what sources would be adequate to you? CNN? Fox? RT is much more reliable than all American MSM put together and multiplied.

EDIT:

muzzleflash- still though, what is the production/deployment cost of a Sentinel?
edit on 4-12-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:07 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp
 


Link

There you go. While not yet confirmed of Iran shot down a drone. I don't think the us will admit to this. The usual "wasn't us" will be in order. Meanwhile they secretly plot their revenge. How dare Iran protect their skies.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash
Here is a link to some info: RQ-170 Sentinel wiki


Aviation Week postulates that these elements suggest the designers have avoided 'highly sensitive technologies' due to the near certainty of eventual operational loss inherent with a single engine design and a desire to avoid the risk of compromising leading edge technology.


I guess that means Iran won't have any cool stuff to back-engineer or sell from this take-down.
Maybe the AESA radar, but I somewhat doubt even that much.
Oh well.

edit on 4-12-2011 by muzzleflash because: (no reason given)


Wikipedia says they took control of it not shot it down.


+6 more 
posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:10 AM
link   
Good.

Iran has every right to shoot down spy drones over it's territory.

As many have said, the US, Israel and UK would have been screaming bloody blue murder, and gnashing at the bit, wallowing in war rhetoric if it had been the other way around..probably would have spun the story to change drone to missile, and then planted 'oh, imagine if this had been carrying a nuke...we better go and get them' or similar crap.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:13 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

Originally posted by rubbertramp
source is rt news in this thread and presstv in the other.
man, somebody wake me up if it hits a more reliable source.


You don't find the main Russian news network reliable? You don't find Iranian state media reliable in reporting Iranian matters?

Well perhaps if you actually read the two sentences within the article you would have noticed this:

"Iran's military says it has shot down a US reconnaissance drone aircraft in eastern Iran, Reuters news agency reports, citing state television. "

Go bitch somewhere else if you don't like facts. Seriously, what sources would be adequate to you? CNN? Fox? RT is much more reliable than all American MSM put together and multiplied.

EDIT:

muzzleflash- still though, what is the production/deployment cost of a Sentinel?
edit on 4-12-2011 by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi because: (no reason given)


ru serious?



You don't find Iranian state media reliable in reporting Iranian matters?


that's like saying i should take obama and company serious at every news conference.
i just don't trust media in general.
i'm not saying it didn't happen, i'm just saying stating something as fact before it's really prooven is jumping the gun.
in other words, you're saying rt and press tv have been 100% accurate in all of their reporting.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic

Wikipedia says they took control of it not shot it down.


You mean they hacked it and landed it?

That would actually be really cool because it would reveal a level of sophistication that no one expected Iran could muster.

But at the same time, it would be playing a good card too soon, and would allow NATO to totally re-devise their tactics and find a way to prevent it from happening again.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:14 AM
link   

Originally posted by metaldemon2000
reply to post by rubbertramp
 


Link

There you go. While not yet confirmed of Iran shot down a drone. I don't think the us will admit to this. The usual "wasn't us" will be in order. Meanwhile they secretly plot their revenge. How dare Iran protect their skies.


thanx, a small step closer.
who knows for sure, maybe the damn thing ran out of fuel.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
news.sky.com...

For people who want a view from a major British source.

Note the undertone of 'Iran bad, we good'.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:18 AM
link   
reply to post by rubbertramp
 


Either way the US has to stop playing world police. I'm super glad that this thing went down either way. I'd be terribly pissed if the US were flying drones around in my country. I would shoot the damn thing down myself.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
How easy is it to shoot a drone out of the sky?
I am no expert,but I would have thought it would be very tricky,as they fly very high,are pretty small compared to regular planes,and have a lower heat sig.

Maybe the drone ran out of fuel or malfuntioned,or like someone else mentioned-it could have been hacked?

Anyone militarily knowledgeable know how tough a target a drone is?



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:20 AM
link   
they await their 30 year old prince.
it is I.
keeper of time.
edit on 4-12-2011 by KennyDurazo because: (no reason given)



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:21 AM
link   

Originally posted by muzzleflash

Originally posted by Jepic

Wikipedia says they took control of it not shot it down.


You mean they hacked it and landed it?

That would actually be really cool because it would reveal a level of sophistication that no one expected Iran could muster.

But at the same time, it would be playing a good card too soon, and would allow NATO to totally re-devise their tactics and find a way to prevent it from happening again.


Really cool indeed.



posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:22 AM
link   

Originally posted by Dimitri Dzengalshlevi

And I wonder how this news will be spun in the Western mainstream media. I bet, just like the other incidents, it'll just be ignored because the fact that the US is the aggressor here doesn't fit into the whole "Iran is a dangerous terrorist nuclear state that must be stopped" agenda.



Iran wants of whole race of people wiped of the face of the earth and America is the threat? Really? I think it's unfortunate that we are only sending drones over their air space. A squadron of B-52s would be much more appropriate.





new topics




 
30
<<   2  3  4 >>

log in

join