It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

Breaking............Iran military downs US spy drone

page: 3
<< 1  2    4 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:31 AM
link   
Wiki

According to semi-Official Fars News Agency, Iranian Electronic Warfare Units managed to take control of the UAV and force it to land in iran with minor damage .

link   
reply to post by Vitchilo

I beat you by seconds

Within the same minute even.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

link   

I doubt Iran would make such bold threats, unless they mean economic warfare such as hoarding their oil and maybe shutting down the Strait of Hormuz.

Agreed. Iran seem more than willing to match America muscle for muscle. I think they're far more prepared than what the west gives them credit for.

They have been planning this for a long time. They are more than capable of standing up to western nations.

And rightly so.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:33 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Wiki

According to semi-Official Fars News Agency, Iranian Electronic Warfare Units managed to take control of the UAV and force it to land in iran with minor damage .

Haha,......All your drones belong to us

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:37 AM
link   

Originally posted by Jepic
Wiki

Haha,......All your drones belong to us

Originally posted by ken10
edit on 4-12-2011 by Jepic because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:45 AM
link   

Originally posted by Corruption Exposed
reply to post by Vitchilo

I beat you by seconds

Within the same minute even.
edit on 4-12-2011 by Corruption Exposed because: (no reason given)

Damn you! *Shakes fist at sky*

That's because I wrote more text than you otherwise I would have posted before!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:52 AM
link   
Apparently American stealth is not all that it is meant to be since it was picked up on radar, of all countries by Iran...FAIL by USA.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:45 PM
link   
reply to post by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Apparently American stealth is not all that it is meant to be since it was picked up on radar, of all countries by Iran...FAIL by USA.

BUST OUT LAUGHING OVER THIS

I was just in a bath, nice hot water and bubbles thinking...well hell...what wasssss that STEALTH part all about if it could get blown to smithereens!

All kidding aside, it's either complete propaganda to rally a sagging flag for yet another confrontation...
A massive USA FAIL...
Or wicked huge kudos to those who took the damn thing OUT!

*Back to my bath*

peace

edit on 4-12-2011 by silo13 because:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:57 PM
link   
reply to post by TrappedSoul

Why would Americans be pissed... it is a drone....drones are destroyed all the time.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:24 PM
link   
So many, "Well, Iran has a right to..."

Every nation has the right to do what it wants to do within its own borders-- right or wrong-- that is down side of autonomy-- it matters not, regarding "rights," whether what a nation does is good or bad.

The citizens of the nations have rights which I find more important than the state's claim to its rights.

The Arab Spring which took Egypt and Libya did not take Iran-- but the Iranians tried before either of those. Well, I guess, technically that would have been a Persian Spring, but you get my point.

Where is the world outrage that their own government shut down the protests?

Meanwhile, when a nation seeks to develop a nuclear weapon-- and Iran is-- that technology is not likely being developed to use with in its own borders-- so it becomes the "right" of each of the other nations to insure that such a weapon is not a threat.

And so nations spy on one another-- sometimes with agents and sometimes with satellites, and sometimes with aerial reconnaissance-- manned or unmanned.

And if the threat seems serious enough-- other nations also have a responsibility to its own citizens and its allies to weaken or neutralize the threat.

In case no one has noticed, Iran is blatantly, admittedly, in violation of UN treaties regarding nuclear weapons programs.

The US government is required by its own Constitution to provide for the common defense. Unreasonable, given current technology, is to guarantee that no nuclear device can reach the shores of the US or its allies. THEREFORE... as a US citizen, my government had dang well better be working on Plan B-- which I presume includes hobbling Iran's ability to even produce a nuclear weapon and part of that means spying on Iranian nuclear sites.

It seems to be, then, that all the squawking is because the US dares to protect its own citizens-- and that includes my young children. Anyone want to tell me that my children are not worth protecting with a spy plane?

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:31 PM
link   
Just because its a flying wing type drone does not mean its a stealth aircraft it does not have the stealth type tiles on the wheel well door like the F-177 and the engine is not shielded by the exhaust flowing over the back of the wing.

Because Iran is claiming they took over control and landed it leads me to believe until someone proves different that it was patrolling on the afghan side if the border and Iran stole it and flew it across to there side and landed it for propaganda.
I also see Russia or China giving them technical support in doing it for the intelligence value.

If that is the case it was theft and Iran broke international law.

I would not want to try it again as the US will likely put explosive self destruct charges on board to destroy any more that they take.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:43 PM
link   

Originally posted by varikonniemi
They have every right to do this. Iran should see this as an act of war if they do not get an apology. You won't accidentally send a spy drone to spy on other countries.

Do you think Iran apologised for their UAV violation of Iraqi airspace back in 2009? Did the US or Iraq declare war on Iran because of the violation?

F-16 shot down Iranian drone in February

www.airforcetimes.com...

Iran continues to violate Iraqi sovereign territory with cross border shelling and air strikes.

www.google.com...

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:52 PM
link   

Originally posted by POPtheKlEEN89
here is the RQ-170

so if its stealth, and you cant pick it up on radar, i wonder what they thought when they saw this over their heads?

They certainly didn't see that over their heads. That image is of a French Drone - a Dassault AVE.

www.presstv.ir...

www.dassault-aviation.com...

Dassault image link

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 03:59 PM
link   

Originally posted by ANNED

Because Iran is claiming they took over control and landed it leads me to believe until someone proves different that it was patrolling on the afghan side if the border and Iran stole it and flew it across to there side and landed it for propaganda.

WOW,

I've nothing else to say

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:03 PM
link   
I keep getting the impression that there is more to this than just Iran getting lucky and finding a drone and bringing it down.
I get the name Trojan horse repeating over and over

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:07 PM
link   
American Military is concerned about what shape the drone was recovered in, how intact the sensors were on the aircraft and the fact that we have lost some top secret technology, this was after all one of our better spy drones.

With that said I say good for Iran and congratulations on defending your airspace.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:10 PM
link   
reply to post by munkey66

This is what I'm thinking also! I don't think Iran just got lucky enough to take control over our drone and land it. I think there is more to the story than that, of course we'll never hear about that part of the story!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:13 PM
link   

Originally posted by THE_PROFESSIONAL

Pure speculation. Think of it from an Iranian perspective and especially from their government controlled news agencies? ISAF have admitted that a drone was lost over western Afghanistan. If it came down in Iranian territory due to a malfunction then what do you think Iran is going to utilise the loss to their advantage? They are obviously going to hype it up for all they are worth. You then get the claims of Iranians using their advance technology and expertise in taking control of the UAV. They are going to hype it up for all they are worth in order to get as much propaganda value as they can.

ISAF says drone lost over Afghanistan late last week

'(Reuters) - A surveillance drone flying over western Afghanistan had gone out of control late last week and may be the one Iran said it had shot down over its own airspace, the International Security Assistance Force (ISAF) said on Sunday.

"The UAV to which the Iranians are referring may be a U.S. unarmed reconnaissance aircraft that had been flying a mission over western Afghanistan late last week. The operators of the UAV lost control of the aircraft and had been working to determine its status," an ISAF statement said.

The statement about the unmanned aerial vehicle (UAV) was issued in Kabul and released to reporters covering an international conference on Afghanistan in the German city Bonn.'

www.reuters.com...
edit on 4-12-2011 by tommyjo because: spelling

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:16 PM
link   

The informed source said on Sunday that Iran Army's electronic warfare unit successfully targeted the American-built RQ-170 Sentinel stealth aircraft after it crossed into Iranian airspace over the border with neighboring Afghanistan.

He added that the US reconnaissance drone has been seized with minimum damage.

The RQ-170 is a stealth unmanned aircraft designed and developed by Lockheed Martin Company.

there is a image of the 'unmanned' stealthy, craft/UAV in the OP Link===

Now what would an 'Unmanned' UAV need with what appears to be windows in what might be a cockpit area located at the standard place that cockpits & cabin windows are located on standard aircrafts for the last 90 years !?

just too much crud in all 4 of these" Iran=Drone shoot down" threads

if the craft is a French Stealth plane---it is not a 'Drone'

USA Drones usually carry 'hellfire' missiles along with cameras

this whole incident is going around in hyperbole circles

please present- something of merit... actual facts, not half-truth propaganda without telling the readers the information is unreliable, unproven & just sensationalism....

edit on 4-12-2011 by St Udio because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 04:22 PM
link   
reply to post by St Udio

Now what would an 'Unmanned' UAV need with what appears to be windows in what might be a cockpit area located at the standard place that cockpits & cabin windows are located on standard aircrafts for the last 90 years !?

It only "looks" like a cockpit and windows.

A little research goes a long way, to verify that particular image.

USA Drones usually carry 'hellfire' missiles along with cameras

Not all drones are alike, nor serve the same functions.

edit on Sun 4 December 2011 by ProudBird because: (no reason given)

new topics

top topics

<< 1  2    4 >>

join