It looks like you're using an Ad Blocker.

Please white-list or disable AboveTopSecret.com in your ad-blocking tool.

Thank you.

Some features of ATS will be disabled while you continue to use an ad-blocker.

UK/European members. How are you preparing for the collapse of the Euro?

page: 2
<< 1    3 >>

join
share:

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:40 AM
link   

Originally posted by cerebralassassins
the interest acquired self supports the initial capitol

I always wondered this but I still think this is a total myth. Rich people get taxed too (too much or too little is irrelevant right now) The tax they pay far outweighs the interest they earn.

Nevertheless you're right, it's far easier to make more money when you have money.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:43 AM
link   
I have a couple of transactions pending on my bank account, once they're clear I'm taking all my money out. Not that I have much, just what remains of my salary after the bills are paid. Least that way I can buy food to get me & my family through until the end of December.

Mind you, if everyone does that, the banks are "snookered" (as my English friends say !)

But you have to look after yourself & your family now.

It's Le Crunch.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:45 AM
link   
If the euro collapses they will move straight to a new single currency based not upon bonds or gold but based around human labour I believe.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   
Hello mate,i am UK too and am trying to get my mother and grandfather wise to whats up.A few years back the banks gauranteed the money to around 50g's,then i think they raised it somewhat,my point being why say it??
Agrentina ten years ago,the public had their money in banks basically halved over night to cope with their fiscal pressures.The banks changed the currency from whatever currency it was to another weaker currency.

If you got more than the set limit[i wouldnt trust that either but thats your call]then take out down to the limit and put your money into things that actually have & hold their value,metals,jewels etc.For me i'd convert to gold,sliver,not blocks all bars but smaller denominations too,you may need to barter and kilo bars wont do you any good then.
I think the governmets are trying to get back as much gold as possible incase of the collapse of the paper system.

Get rid of shares,they wont be worth the paper they are written on in a crisis and i bet you that the people at the top of the pyramid dont lose shizzle.

What do you do with the gold then??Bury it.For millenia people have known the safest place for their treasure was the bowels of the earth,it's not fool-proof but it gives you good odds,oh and dont put all your eggs in one basket if you know what i mean.

Good luck comrade

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:47 AM
link   

Originally posted by LeBombDiggity
I have a couple of transactions pending on my bank account, once they're clear I'm taking all my money out. Not that I have much, just what remains of my salary after the bills are paid. Least that way I can buy food to get me & my family through until the end of December.

Mind you, if everyone does that, the banks are "snookered" (as my English friends say !)

But you have to look after yourself & your family now.

It's Le Crunch.

I wouldn't worry too much about the banks, they will either merge or dissolve but their net value will not be lost but rather multiply itself. Its funny when they say that a bank closed down while several months earlier it was boasting billions in profits.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:50 AM
link   
reply to post by LeBombDiggity

Pointless to take it all out.

The government will support the deposits and bail the banks. If the government cannot support the deposits the currency itself will be imploding and it won't matter if you have the paper in your hand or not.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 07:53 AM
link   
I don't think we can truly do anything if said coinage does collapse. I guess the best chance you have is buying big coats, food that lasts a while etc After all, you might have to live on the street.

Personally though us here in the UK have a stronger position than most of the other countries due to the keeping of the pound. The Euro might fall but that doesn't dictate whether the pound does as well. It may harm our economy but not enough to ruin it completely. Which for us I guess is a good thing.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:02 AM
link   
I doubt it will happen anyway and if it did there would still remain a core of Germany/France and a few others in a smaller but stronger Eurozone which should of been the way to go from the start.
It doesn't bother me in the slightest what happens to be honest, you just roll with whatever happens anyway, it's not like it's the end of the world or anything.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:03 AM
link   
When this snake's and ladders crisis begun it was strictly a finger pointing issue and it was pointing at Greece. During the finger pointing Goldman Sachs's name came and went into the arena and later on other nations begun catching that sniffle, you all know what i mean, a slight runny nose, but not enough to keep you in bed. Then and only then did everything explode out of control with Germany and France trying to maintain the rational side of trading but while all this was going on, noone really took a hard look at how imbalanced the euro was. Other nations buying currency at a higher or lower rate and then those very nations who were slapping them on the wrist saying, " bad bad boy, watch ya going to do when we come for you "

And so here we are, only 11 years into the euro and its right at the cliffs edge and yet we still hear nations and politicians maintaining that the system works as long as we trust it. What is utter stupidity is that academics from all over the world are saying the complete opposite. The system that the euro nations are using is outdated, its not equal and its success as a currency depended upon two or three nations at best and not as a whole as the original concept of the E.U. was intended back in the 30's when it was first brought up. In short, yes there will be a tsunami throughout the european banking and political system, the question is, how many lives are going to be lost during the process.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:16 AM
link   
reply to post by woodwardjnr

Q: UK/European members. How are you preparing for the collapse of the Euro?

A: a gun & some survival books^^

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:19 AM
link   
reply to post by justwokeup

I agree with what you say but I'd like to keep kidding myself on for "a little while yet"

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:20 AM
link   
Hi there, well I believe nobody knows what will happen, but I read this the other day in Spiegel Online, which I added to my daily newspaper list a week or two ago, as I like to read a variety of news sources/perspectives from around the world. It does attempt to think of what the consequences of a break up may be for Germany etc. and from their perspective:

Preparing for the Worst The High Price of Abandoning the Euro By David Böcking 11/29/2011 Spiegel Online

I found it interesting, particularly regarding the view that due to inflation, Germany may expect to entirely write off their manufacturing industry within a fairly short time frame...I think that alone gives some hint as to the seriousness of the situation and potential for serious social stresses including, sadly, civil uprising/war...and just look at Spiegel today, all about how close to war with Iran we are now, it's not a great outlook.

It's worth a read.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:22 AM
link   
It is sad to see our fellow human brothers and sisters in Europe facing this crisis, almost alone. There seems to be no leadership in the European states, cos all they seem to care about is their own and their cronies pockets as well as how best to bailout banks, when the MOST IMPORTANT PERSON to bailout is a nation's greatest resource - human capital - YOU.

Without YOU, no nation can even exist, let alone recover economically.

Many of the rich would have left for sunny safer shores, but most probably you arent one of the 1%. This is your homeland, the land of your ancestors, sharing both joys and sorrows with others like you.

Rest assured, it aint over yet. The fat lady had not even began to sing yet. With brains, hands and legs, you will survive, just as your ancestors had through even far worse crisis than this moment.

1. Take stock of your surroundings - your own health needs, then those of your family, relatives and friends, cos when SHTF, it is doubly worse when one's health is poor and in need of medical aid. Look at your apartment or house, if it is mortgaged or not, and the funds to pay them off. Look at the utilities bill, if you can live without it as energy and water may be cut to save public costs. Look at your kitchen if you have enough to last you for at least 3 months.

2. Look at your bank account, if it is held in euros or not. Better to have a safer and more stable currency - US dollar, for when the collapse comes, that dollar will worth more than any european paper. Keep only a few loose change for a month's worth of local currency, so that you may able to spend for local products, for the stock of US dollars may run low in certain countries to change into local cash when too many are rushing for it. It will take time by the gov to revert back to their own currency.

3. Most critical of all is JOBS. You may live off the land or forests but everyone will do the same thing. Fights will occur. Furthermore, food takes time to grow, not overnight.

Thus, best be prepared for some recession proof vital local jobs or entreprenuerships that will help ensure that funds still roll in. Trash still need to be hauled. Roads still need to be swept. Mail still needs to be sent. Cars still needs to be maintained. Food still needs to be prepared. Fish still needs to be caught. Farms still need to be planeted/harvested, etc - essential services by private and public sectors.

Go into such jobs, even if they don't pay money, they will barter trade for services which you can benefit, just make clear the contracts and be not scammed which will be prevalent in such desperate times.

Many companies will close down, either due to lack of funds or bankruptcies. But it will only be for a few months, as such assets or liabilities will be liquidated and sold. Upon selling, such companies with assets will need to start making money, and thus jobs will be created.

The first industry that will pick up will be the tourism industries, for Europe, at its basic level, is a civilisational theme park that generates huge revenues annually, no matter what the crisis unless wars. Once the situation settles down, angst spent, many will get down to biz. Money did not disappear. It only went into hiding, seeking for better opportunities, and no better than crisis when 'fire' sale occurs. This may be an industry you can try for.

This is by no means an exhaustive list of what you can do. Discuss and debate, find solutions with your families, relatives and friends, for when crisis occurs, it is the community that you will have to depend on, unselfishly, for everyone is suffering too, thus better to share woes so that joys will return quicker than fighting alone. The gov will take quite some time to reorganise themselves.

Good luck!

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:23 AM
link   
Euro ain't gonna collapse. And I expected ATS lads to know that.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:42 AM
link   
reply to post by Judgedead

The Banks set limit in the UK is £75,000 per bank per person I beleive.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 08:52 AM
link   

Originally posted by Wotan
reply to post by Judgedead

The Banks set limit in the UK is £75,000 per bank per person I beleive.

That is correct, in Greece the limit was set at 100,000 euro per citizen regardless of bank and was gauranteed by the European Central Bank.

P.S. It may sound alot, but its only a drop in the ocean when you actually sit down and think about it.
edit on 4-12-2011 by cerebralassassins because: (no reason given)

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 09:02 AM
link   
Thanks for all the replies.

I guess there's not much people can do about an uncertain future and worrying is not really going to change that.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:47 PM
link   
I'm getting my beer in for it.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 12:59 PM
link   
Nothing outside my usual preparations which is to enable my family to get by without help for a month.. I'm not sure there is anything you can do if (or when) this Tsunami strikes.

posted on Dec, 4 2011 @ 02:23 PM
link   
I believe the pound (sterling) did pretty well when the euro first started, mainly sterling was seen as a safe place to put money until they could decide what to do. Unfortunately we failed to move to the euro when our currency was high, as the euro grew, so did confidence in it and sterling dropped. Yeah it's slightly more complicated than that.

I'd like to think that if the euro collapsed then sterling would once again be the safe haven, but you don't know who to trust. One side says the euro is fine and others that it's close to collapse.

I exchanged all my spare euros the other month and bought beer. A sound investment.

new topics

top topics

<< 1    3 >>

join